SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kimber revolvers? RE: Question about reliability, how you like them, and other helpful information to help me decide whether or not to buy one.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber revolvers? RE: Question about reliability, how you like them, and other helpful information to help me decide whether or not to buy one. Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
I've never been a fan of Kimber. All I've ever heard is they are pretty, but are highly ammo-sensitive and prone to jams. Overpriced.

Has anyone tried their revolvers? I have my eye on their K6S CDP revolver. It looks really nice and I've read some good reviews. Just curious if anyone has tried one or has heard anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rigby470,

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I too was interested in them, until I actually shot one.

Now bear in mind it was a range rental but I wasn't impressed at all. In the 100rds I fired (2 different types of ammo) and it went bang every time ,but I had a hard time getting nice groupings at 7 yards.

I now have zero interest in one.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a K6S in stainless with a 2" bbl, and would like to try a 3" bbl. They seem well enough made, with a trigger that feels more like a P320 than most revolvers. With 6 rounds, they are more dimensionally like a 5 shot revolver, and flat.

With full house .357 rounds they hurt, in my opinion; more than some other .357's. They're not hard to shoot, but can be unpleasant.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 inch K 6 , its very well made with a smooth D/A pull. I never had a problem with mine shoots good but not target guns . I think a top Smith Wesson guy Grant Cunningham was in on the idea .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Another K6S owner. Well made and have never experienced an issue. Carries & conceals very well for a six Rd snubby. I shoot and load up with 38+P

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber is the victim of a short period of bad manufacturing and LOTS of bad press. I have a 1911 Classic from the mid 90's with thousands of rounds thru it, and never a malfunction. I did pitch the Kimber mags and replace them with WC, which I do with all my 1911's. As for their revolvers, I have a 2 inch DCR and a 3 inch version. They're beautifully manufactured guns, even have recessed chamber mouths like the Colts of old. I find them accurate and reliable. My biggest issue with the 2 inch was with the grip, which I replaced with the longer grip like the 3 inch uses. Yes, they are expensive.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on what I've read and my friend's Kimber, they are well manufactured revolvers. Given this, I would consider one myself if I needed another small revolver. Decent weight and six round capacity in the size of a J-frame.

Unless it is for pocket use, I would highly recommend a 3" over the 2". I've owned about a dozen 2" and 3" S&W's, Colt's and my Ruger SP101 3" over the decades. The 3" versions tend to shoot like a larger revolver. Besides giving you a full length ejection stroke, better balance, less muzzle blast and longer sight radius.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I am a 1911 guy with many high end and custom 1911’s and never owned a Kimber. I’ve shot a number of Kimber guns and would have had no problem owning one, just had no need. I also have a pretty robust collection of revolvers. The Kimber K6S is very well crafted and expertly machined. The triggers, at least on the early ones were incredible. It is the first Kimber that I have owned and has lived up to my expectations. Mine is as accurate as anything I own, most likely because of the fantastic factory trigger. I also find it mild due to the all stainless steel weight. I like it well enough that I may get another.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Some internet characterizations never die. Unfortunately, KIMBER suffers from it. Early production had issues, but in my experience the latest production doesn't deserve the negativity.

I have several KIMBER 1911 pistols and one KIMBER revolver. I shoot lesser quality ammunition through them and good quality jhp through them. I've not experienced any ammo sensitive issues, nor with with their proprietary magazines. I do prefer WILSON or McCORMICK, however.

KIMBER is not the quality (certainly not the price) of a DAN WESSON, NIGHTHAWK, WILSON or BROWN, but absolutely attractive, accurate and reliable. I wish they'd supply night sights, eliminate ambi safeties and put G10 grips on more of their offerings, but that's easily remedied.

Mine is a 2" K6S DC revolver. The only complaint I had about it was the smooth G10 "two finger boot grips" which were hard to hold onto with .357 loads. HOGUE came out with "three finger" G10 grips which really make a difference. KIMBER is coming out with 2"/3" K6S da-sa revolvers later this year. If they're as nice as the dao version, I'd buy a 3" without hesitation.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Here's a write up I did my DC version.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...060013254#4060013254

I absolutely love it. I'm not a Kimber 1911 fan, but I love these K6 revolvers. I will pick up a 3" DA/SA when I run across one someday.

It handles full house .357 like a dream. I can shoot a couple hundred of them in one sitting without issue/discomfort of any kind. I can't even shoot 5 of such rounds through my air weight J-frame without stopping due to pain.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My FIL has a Kimber K6s. This 86 y.o. man would astound you with the groups he gets at 21 feet. I haven't shot the pistol, but he says you have to "stage" the trigger. I've done the same to my Ruger & S+W revolvers. Don't knock the K6s. Know how to use it!
-odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Can you make your thread title more descriptive so people don't have to click in to see why you've posted.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the 2 inch K6S for a carry gun. The trigger is fantastic. It's a relatively light weight for a 6 shot revolver. And very accurate. I also bought a 3 inch version, but my father now has it as it's easier for him to manipulate than a semi auto. Both guns punch well above their weight class. I actually shot the 2 inch version in an IDPA match. I had the wrong speed loaders so overall time suffered. Still I tied for most accurate overall and was first place revolver.

https://youtu.be/jZcdOFUAIoU

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got mine out again on Sat and ran about 30 rds of XTP stuff no problems at all . The Kimber 1911`s look good at the store but my full size CDP had the hammer follow the slide down , my Custom Tac 2 full size never got through a full mag. This K 6 was made right from the get go .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Can you make your thread title more descriptive so people don't have to click in to see why you've posted.

Done.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post