SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sights and hammer rusting so easily!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sights and hammer rusting so easily! Login/Join 
posted
I have a 229 EE in 9mm as a range toy that has sights and hammer that rusts so fast inside a gun bag that i practically have to "baby" it by always coating it with oil otherwise it becomes covered with a film of rust just a few days after a shooting session in good warm weather...and i not really sweating on it...what finish is applied to the hammer and night sights? Is that phospate or parkerizing? And suggestions on any protective coating i can not as oily as oil that should prevent rust? Thanks!

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I'd carry a small spray can of Break Free, hit the areas like sights, hammer and trigger, slip it into a medium zip lock bag then, your gun bag.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Try using Corrosion-X. I'm a big fan of it; I use it on all my guns and I've never seen a spec of rust.
I'm sure it's not as bad as where you are, but summers get very humid here.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any teflon based dry lubricant will help. I use Tri-Flo, but don't have the humidity levels your have.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Please define a “gun bag”. If you’re putting it in a pistol rug and leaving it in there for storage, they promote rust by holding moisture.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something like a zippered ballistic nylon bag with foam lining...the one that comes with a 5.11 range bag..

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
The foam will hold moisture and promote the rust. When you get home from the range, pull the pistol out and give it a quick wipe down with a silicone cloth or a patch with a little oil on it, then store the pistol outside of the bag.

ETA: If you store it in a safe, get a dehumidifier rod or silica pack to store in there. If you go with silica, get one with an indicator so you know when to pull it and dry it out.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
RIG grease

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
The foam will hold moisture and promote the rust. When you get home from the range, pull the pistol out and give it a quick wipe down with a silicone cloth or a patch with a little oil on it, then store the pistol outside of the bag.

^^This^^
A padded bag isn't meant for storage. It's supposed to keep your gun from getting banged up traveling to/from the range.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
Something like a zippered ballistic nylon bag with foam lining...the one that comes with a 5.11 range bag..

Oh God, no no no...put the gun in a safe don't leave it in a bag or the box after shooting..It needs air space around it.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post