SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Would you replace springs on 228 if refinishing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you replace springs on 228 if refinishing? Login/Join 
posted
I have an older P228 that is kind of beat up but works fine. Every time I see CCR's ad I think it would fun to have it refinished. But if I'm going to do that, should I replace springs or other parts first?

If I recall correctly it's a KB date code. Oh and I have a nicer one that is a consecutive serial number, which is cool. I have the original cardboard box for the nicer one as well. Would that make you guys less inclined to refinish the beat up one? Opinions appreciated.

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I send my older Sigs back to the factory for Re-hab. Pins and springs are replaced. It is cost effective and you get new sights too.
I leave carry worn finishes as is. If the finish is badly worn or pitted, I have the gun Cera-Coated.
CCR or Coyote Killer here on SF will have your gun looking excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would replace with Woof springs...

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
If you send it in with replacement springs, they can swap them out after refinishing. Sights too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
If you send it in with replacement springs, they can swap them out after refinishing. Sights too.

This. They have to detail strip it anyway, just send new parts with it for them when they reassemble.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely swap out springs. It is cheap insurance.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they're going to have it apart to refinish, it makes sense. It's kinda like replacing a clutch on some cars if you have the engine out.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
put in the standard parts kit. About $25 from TGS.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok cool on the parts kit. TGS is out of stock but Sig website has them in stock. Good point about the sights, too. Any recommendations on sights?

Posts: 130 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd consider sending it to Sig for their SSP, which consists of:

"Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
Complete detailed cleaning
Expert factory inspection of all critical components
Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
Function test
This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness."

The night sights alone would be $120, so this is a pretty good deal. I believe they can also reblue your slide.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'd consider sending it to Sig for their SSP, which consists of:

"Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
Complete detailed cleaning
Expert factory inspection of all critical components
Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
Function test
This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness."

The night sights alone would be $120, so this is a pretty good deal. I believe they can also reblue your slide.

Wow that seems like a good deal. If i was going to send to CCR, have this done before or after?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions. I'll only add this. My opinion is always the same. Springs are cheap. I replace them often. If you send the slide off, replace everything.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post