SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RIA 1911 review, pleasantly surprised
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIA 1911 review, pleasantly surprised Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted
Picked up a plain Jane RIA 1911 the other day from the local shop. Can't complain about the price, it was way cheaper there than ordering through Bud's.

This was my first .45 caliber 1911, so not a lot of experience to base my review on, but in taking this to the range I was not disappointed at all.

I had no failures in the first outing of 100 rounds. I used the 8 round magazine from ATI, a 7 round Colt mag from the shop, and a 8 round flush-fit mag from CMC. All fit and functioned fine for this first outing.

The trigger was smooth enough to me. I've shot a few Springfield Range Officer models from others at the range, but not having them side-by-side, I couldn't recall there being any glaring differences.

Shooting with the GI style blade sites took a bit of getting used to, as I'm more familiar with the 3-dot setup on my other firearms. Once I adjusted to it, I had no issues grouping at 10yds and hitting the 12" plate we have out at the 25yd line.

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase. I've wanted a 1911 for some time, but not enough to justify the asking price for many on the market. Getting this for under $350 was a risk I'm glad I took.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I saw a used 9mm version in my LGS a couple of years ago and bought it. It has had no failures of any kind and I am most impressed.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
The ROck Island (Armscor) 1911A1 type pistol seems to me to be the best 1911A1 clone on the market today... it more closely follows the original than any other I have seen.

These guns are a great value too... Mine has several thousand rounds through it and has worked flawlessly with various types of bullets.

FWIW

Chuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1346 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Glad yours is working well. I was excited when I got mine a couple years back though it had some teething issues that soured me some and as a result I let it go for a good price. Perhaps I’ll hoge another one a try in the future.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I bought a RIA1911 in 9mm about 2 1/2 yrs. ago and have the same experience. Great shooting gun.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a similar piece, the ATI Military model 1911A1. It’s been fantastic. Everything I wanted in a 1911 for a super low price.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Armscor Citadel 1911. I had to ship it back to Armscor for a poorly fitted slide stop that would lock the slide back with a round remaining in the magazine.
Fairly common problem with the 1911.
It shoots fine now and was a steal, price wise.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIA is a very good shooter. Local range has two of them in their rental program, each firing thousands rounds per year with no maintenance for past 4 years and only cleaning twice a year. Only factory hardball is used and rangemaster put drop oil on rails, barrel hood and front at bushing every time they are shot. Very popular with customers and great money maker.

I purchased Full Size Tactical model and have been impresssed how well the sights are regulated and the superb trigger. Did experience premature slide hold back due to out of spec slide stop. I corrected this with the removal of small area of the slide stop that was rubbing and engaging bullet noses. Gun is now flawless.

It should noted that RIA have cast slides and frames. Fitting on my Colt and Springfield 1911 is a little better and the frames and slides are forged rather than cast. Still I like my RIA and wouldn’t consider selling it for less than $1500.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of the RIA 1911's years ago but sadly had to sell them due to a family emergency. I really liked them and they ran great and were very accurate guns.

I have been looking at getting another one but all I seem to be able to find around here is the basic GI model. I want something with dove tail sights so I can swap them out for night sights.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1:
I had a couple of the RIA 1911's years ago but sadly had to sell them due to a family emergency. I really liked them and they ran great and were very accurate guns.

I have been looking at getting another one but all I seem to be able to find around here is the basic GI model. I want something with dove tail sights so I can swap them out for night sights.
I think the RIA dovetails are not standard. Best to check availability of night sights to fit the RIA before you buy the pistol.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post