SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith 4586 to DA/SA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith 4586 to DA/SA? Login/Join 
posted
What would be involved in converting a 4586 to DA/SA?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
You would need a new hammer, sear and decocker/safety paddles. The current compant calling itself s&w no longer offers the conversion.......or much of anything when it comes to the 3rd gen guns.

But if you contact Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm Supply, he may still offer the conversion. He did take TDA 3rd gens and convert them to DAO and vice versa for a number of years. Good luck! Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI

Edited to add: It would be easier and probably less expensive to just sell the 4586 and find a 4566.

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
/snip

Edited to add: It would be easier and probably less expensive to just sell the 4586 and find a 4566.

Agreed.

I picked up a 4566 at the last gun show for $400, had one magazine, no box, tools, or papers.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It might be mechanically feasible, but is almost certainly not economically feasible, in terms of both money and time, and if there is even anybody who can do it.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. Will keep an eye out for future 3rd gen goodness to purchase. I now have 2 third gens, 2 value line guns, a first and a second gen. Gotta find a nice 59 series and maybe a 10mm if I ever hit the lotto.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I believe the third gen Smith DAOs used a different slide than DA/SA guns. It's slightly longer in the back.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post