SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 3.6 at 143 yards...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 3.6 at 143 yards... Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
Been awhile, I honestly just don’t have the time anymore. I was chatting with jljones and thought I’d get some video footage of nothing really practical, but the opposite of what the normal trend of “7 yards sub second draw and blaze it”.

Missed the first and last shot, but not by much.

In reality most of our offerings today are just awesome and nothing really needed other than a good set of sights and your dedication to trigger control.

Torso sized steel at 143 yards.......

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:

... nothing really needed other than a good set of sights and your dedication to trigger control.

Torso sized steel at 143 yards.......

Trijicon HD XR 's.

Nice shooting!

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Awesome shooting, dude!

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. We just ran a cool, Extended Range Handgun course. We shot out to 200 yards on USPSA targets. Every student was able to get hits, using their 9mm pistol. We saw a drop of 30 to 35 inches at that distance. It was a hoot. If you have the room, I highly recommend it.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Watched this yesterday. Very nice shooting for that distance and short sight radius. Nice smooth draw too Ray. You can hear the hits.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My man. Good to see you back at it here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. I guess you're not missing that .4" of sight radius?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Good Lord! I wish I could have seen your face as you typed your OP. I bet there was a little smile. The post was all humble and modest though.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well done. Goes to show what the fundamentals can lead to. Also makes the elevated sight graduations on the C96 Mausers seem a bit less ridiculous. Smile

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
We run our basic academy class through ranges out to 100 yds on a full size IPSC target. With a little practice we get 100% of our basic cadets to meet the basic standard of 80% hits (4 out of 5) at 75 yds required to pass that practical. (The 17 3/4 inch width of the target at 100 yds is equivalent to shooting just under 2 inches at 10 yards and there is no need to hold higher than the top of the target since the drop vs a 25 yd zero is only about 8 inches for a 9mm)

143 is significantly more difficult than that, requiring very good trigger control and probably requires a hold slightly over target. Where did you hold it?

PS: the old super vel loads show a significant level of panache.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say, I haven't heard or seen Super Vel ammo mentioned in quite some time.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas!

This Ammo was flying at 1350 fps. I was holding as best as I could on the head box of the target. I just taught a striker transition course and I wanted something to show students that follow through is important. We have a lot of new guys that look at Instagram not that it’s bad but some of the habits they pick up are. Like shooting and snatching the gun back and looking at the target. I want them back prepped on the trigger immediately with an acceptable sight picture still on target. So I wanted to reinforce some of the drills I have them do. With that being said, I do owe this ability to jljones. He’s directly responsible for taking me under his wing and teaching me the ways of trigger control. I’m just applying what he taught me years ago when I thought I was hot stuff at 7 yards.

The offerings from SuperVel are very good. I’m looking at switching to their 115 gr all copper +P cause it has performed really well and has given me some of my best scores with a compact pistol.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I remember the jljones video drawing from concealment, hitting a 10" steel plate at 50 yards every shot. Impressive to say the least. He too was timing the shots. Hope he makes us a vid shooting the P226 one of these days. At what position are you holstered Ray ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Super Vel a brand from back in the '70s. Are they still around?

Edit: Apparently still in business.

https://supervelammunition.com/

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I was gonna say, I haven't heard or seen Super Vel ammo mentioned in quite some time.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Wasn't Super Vel a brand from back in the '70s. Are they still around?

Edit: Apparently still in business.

https://supervelammunition.com/

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

I think “re-born” is probably closer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I remember the jljones video drawing from concealment, hitting a 10" steel plate at 50 yards every shot. Impressive to say the least. He too was timing the shots. Hope he makes us a vid shooting the P226 one of these days. At what position are you holstered Ray ?

Ask and ye shall receive... Big Grin
50 yards with a beater .40 229

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Very much.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Jerry hasn't been doing videos lately. Too bad.

Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
David,

I’m carrying appendix. For Los Angeles it was cold. So I was getting through 2 layers. My excuse for being slow..... Wink

SuperVel seems to be reborn, but I’ve been really happy with the ammo.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Ask and ye shall receive... Big Grin
50 yards with a beater .40 229

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7AE2qm4bwq8" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
There was another vid Snake in which he was shooting from covered up holster, much like Rays video. I enjoy seeing the timed shots on target. Very fast and if they were up against a bad guy, it dont leave much time for the bad guy to blink.. Big Grin. And I like that level of skill.