SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot, Type 2 RMR, leave it on?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot, Type 2 RMR, leave it on? Login/Join 
posted
Recent convert to red dots. Hellcat with a Shield RMR, on all the time.

Glock set up with a trijicon type 2 rmr. Turn it on and off with carry, or leave it on all the time?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the battery life of the Trijicon, you could probably leave it on. Battery life is years?
I ended up buying the Trijicon after not trusting the other one even after they said they fixed the elevation issue. I've had it on a few weeks now and it seems fine.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Leave it on. Replace the battery once per year. I’m sure the battery will last longer than a year, but it’s good preventative maintenance.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I leave mine on. I change the battery every year on my birthday. I could go at least two years between batteries but they are cheap & it's easy to do. It gives me piece of mind that it will be on when I need it.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By all means leave it on. You might not have time or dexterity to turn it on in an emergency. My batteries in my Trijicon RMR and MRO get changed annually, never a problem.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
I leave mine on. I change the battery every year on my birthday.

^^This. I do the same.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
I leave mine on. I change the battery every year on my birthday.

^^This. I do the same.

Same. I leave it on all year long.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We started issuing these. Install, sight in and leave on. We never turn them off. I plan on replacing batteries once a year.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming we are talking an adjustable LED model like an RMR06 or 07. Leave it on. But two specific comments: 1. Autoadjust sucks so you want to pick a specific brightness that is overall usable. 2. There is a distinct operational issue with the adjustable LED RMR in that having picked the brightness you want the RMR goes back into autoadjust mode 16hrs later. This is beyond annoying, but the RMR is the best option in this space so I deal with it with a strategy of when I get up I hit a button and when I go to bed I hit a button. I know at this point what exactly to do for brightness without looking, but I look anyway BECAUSE the #1 issue on carrying one is the lint level that gets obnoxious and occasionally I have to clean it. Maybe the rest of you are less linty and won't have this issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RM01 and RM02 do not have on/off switches, they are meant to be left on all the time, change battery once a year.

Other models have on/off switches and I would leave those on all the time too. We get busy when we first get up and don't want to forget to turn it on.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We started issuing these. Install, sight in and leave on. We never turn them off. I plan on replacing batteries once a year.

This right there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the issued optic is an adjustable LED model leaving it on is fine. Relying on autoadjust is problematic in my experience.
FWIW>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post