SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red dot questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot questions Login/Join 
posted
Going shooting later this afternoon with a friend and he asked me if I'd be interested in buying a pistol from him.
It's a newer CZ P10S with the optic ready mount. He's put about 100 rounds through it and he doesn't like the way it feels so he says. Says it's hard on his hands and the texturing on the front and backstraps is not nice.
My hands are pretty rough and I like CZ's.
Anyways, on to the question.
Google is my friend and so is YouTube. Vortex red dot, Leupold Delta Point or RMR type 2?
After watching Sage Dynamics torture test on the Trijicon, I'm leaning towards the RMR.
First hand experience with these? How do the others fare?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Trijicon RMR Type 2. If you’re on a budget or just dot curious, look at the Holosun 407c or 507c.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I attended a red dot sight instructor's course in May where we used the Trijicon RMR Type 2 for the course. I found the clarity to be excellent, it was easy to learn, and extremely rugged. I have a Sig Romeo1 that came on my P226 Legion RX, but honestly would prefer the Trijicon RMR Type 2

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

Google is my friend and so is YouTube

You could apply the same skill here and get 93 pages referencing red dot...

RMR remains the better option for the cross section of durability, concealment and battery life.
Aimpoint ACRO is a better option if concerns for exposure to elements, rain, open carry are high on priority list. Most users get terrible battery life, and it is pretty big. I dont think CZ has a plate for it though.

Everything else is for fun / competition although a number of folks are playing with Shields as a concealed carry/low volume option. Deltapoints are being revamped because they break in a nearly guaranteed way under 10K. I just broke my 3rd. SROs are interesting but have had issues right at the release. I've a couple, so far so good but round count is low. Vortex has a great CS.... No personal experience with SIG optics although I do have R3Max laying somewhere.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to the Holosun suggestion. You mentioned Sage Dynamics and if you look through the videos he has out you'll find he's a fan of the 507C and 508T. I have an RMR on a P229 but my next optic will be either the 507 or 508. While the 4xx series is a bit cheaper I would really focus on the 5xx series as it has the option to use dot, circle, or dot plus circle.

People who are new to pistol optics may find them difficult to use early on as you really need to work on a consistent presentation to get the dot in the smallish window without having to fish for it. The additional circle option can help work through the initial learning curve. After that you can keep it on or change to setting to just use the dot only.

Also take a look at the Elite models over the standard model. For a bit more $$ the Elite models have a 10 year warranty vs 3 year on the standard.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here’s the thing- if you plan on treating your pistol like you treat a lawnmower, buy the RMR. If you plan on racking the slide with a picnic table only, buy the RMR.

Aside from that, buy what you want.

These torture tests are cute, but people put wayyyyy too much stock in them. It’s the accountant who can’t go to the range and shoot without putting on a plate carrier, thigh holster, and gloves.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I started with RMR’s because of the durability, but after putting a Delta Point Pro on a gun, I’ve never looked back.

I much prefer the larger window. If I drop it and break it, I’ll buy a new one.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trijicon RMR Type 2. If you’re on a budget or just dot curious, look at the Holosun 407c or 507c.

Best advice right there!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It’s the accountant who can’t go to the range and shoot without putting on a plate carrier, thigh holster, and gloves.

Why so grumpy? Some accountant questioned the 20 bar drinks that you tried to charge in on your expense report?

For the record, I don’t wear a thigh holster and I don’t know what a plate carrier is. But I occasionally will wear my green eyeshades and pencil protector to the range. And I never wear gloves as such impair my ability to run a 10-key.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first step on all these guns is what mounts are available. I am not a CZ person so I don't know the full set of options. But they say RMR and Deltapoint in their ad copy which I suspect means the Aimpoint is not possible. I have tried a lot of these and now have complete confidence and would recommend the RMR.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:

IIRC the Holosun have the same footprint at the RMR, so when you're ready to upgrade you can just install the RMR.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s the thing- if you plan on treating your pistol like you treat a lawnmower, buy the RMR. If you plan on racking the slide with a picnic table only, buy the RMR.

Aside from that, buy what you want.

These torture tests are cute, but people put wayyyyy too much stock in them. It’s the accountant who can’t go to the range and shoot without putting on a plate carrier, thigh holster, and gloves.

Or to put it another way the RMR 2 is about $130 more than the Holosun 407c. If you decide you don't like the dot, the RMR will be easier to sell and should hold more of it's value.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
quote:
It’s the accountant who can’t go to the range and shoot without putting on a plate carrier, thigh holster, and gloves.

Why so grumpy? Some accountant questioned the 20 bar drinks that you tried to charge in on your expense report?

For the record, I don’t wear a thigh holster and I don’t know what a plate carrier is. But I occasionally will wear my green eyeshades and pencil protector to the range. And I never wear gloves as such impair my ability to run a 10-key.

He's not making fun of accountants...he's making fun of the people that use the tactical gear and training industry to live out their SEAL/Delta/SWAT/mercenary fantasies. I'd hazard a guess that Jerry sees more than his share of those.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the RMR and the Holosun. I find both to be excellent. My complaints with the Holosun are that the buttons are a little small and the dot does not get quite as bright as the RMR. The brightness is really only noticable in extreme direct sunlight and the dot is still plenty usable. I also have a DPP on a pistol and while I like the big window and find it to be acceptable, I despise the single button ramp up/ramp down brightness control.

I sell the RMR and 507c and have SF pricing if anybody is interested.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Any 507c's in stock? I've got two on order but I'm getting ghosted on the shipping.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably shouldn't have but I purchased the CZ from my friend. To good of a deal to pass up and I really like the trigger on this pistol. Love the front sight being basically blaze orange with a Tritium insert also.
Gonna give the red dot thing a go and see how that is. My eyes are still decent at over 50 years old but this may help the cause. Lol

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
quote:

Any 507c's in stock? I've got two on order but I'm getting ghosted on the shipping.

Yes. Not listed in my sale thread but I've got them. I'll send you an email.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Probably shouldn't have but I purchased the CZ from my friend. To good of a deal to pass up and I really like the trigger on this pistol. Love the front sight being basically blaze orange with a Tritium insert also.
Gonna give the red dot thing a go and see how that is. My eyes are still decent at over 50 years old but this may help the cause. Lol

I’d say you won’t regret it.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
quote:

He's not making fun of accountants...he's making fun of the people that use the tactical gear and training industry to live out their SEAL/Delta/SWAT/mercenary fantasies. I'd hazard a guess that Jerry sees more than his share of those.

Ummm hmmmmm.

The hilarious part is that said Tier One units wear none of that crap when they don’t have to. The last one I had in a class I had problems getting them to wear anything but tomb scramblers on the range.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Well, in fairness to those overly-geared Walter Mittys that you encounter:

1. We each can be guilty of the same in regards to our chosen non-vocational interests.
2. You did essentially invite those Walter Mittys to an “OpSpec Training” class.

The first item is human nature and persistent. But there is an easy fix to the second, if desired. Smile

Please know that I truly mean no disrespect. I bought a Romeo 1-mounted slide a few months ago and my decision for that brand was partially based on an earlier, similar rebuke that you had expressed towards those YouTube videos. Thanks for that wisdom.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post