SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK MK23 Socom
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK MK23 Socom Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
OK guys, I know it is a big beast of a pistol, but I saw one (nib) and have a crazy hankering to buy it. Anyone have experience with one? I do have a suppressor to assist in the enjoyment. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated !! Thank you! sigguy (the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
In before the move (IBTM). Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
As long as your finger reaches the trigger, there's no such thing as too big Razz

I had a USP Tactical for quite a while. Absolutely loved it. Probably shouldn't have sold it, but I financed another pistol with quite a bit left over in the end.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
They are exceptionally accurate. particularly with a suppressor, it is hard to miss.

But, unless you have large hands, and some strength, you will find the pistol cumbersome.

Accurate, reliable, desirable.

IF you can shoot it comfortably, go for it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have had mine since 02. I know it's a novelty, but man....what fun it is to shoot. It's the batmobile of handguns.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The only offensive handgun in the US arsenal.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
i have two, both of which I bought from the classified section here. Very accurate and fun pistols. I don’t have much trigger time on the newer one, but the older one, I can say with confidence, is the most accurate pistol I own.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the laser aiming module by Insight Tech as part of the civilian kit, is more valuable than any other aspect of the kit. In fact, I recently watched one sell on ebay for than the gun and suppressor were new together including tax stamp. Had I known how valuable and few they would be, I'd have bought more than one. Smile

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
It's all the ridiculous novelty of the Desert Eagle, but in a caliber you already own, with some really cool American military history behind it.

It's purely a toy for me, not anything I'd use for carry or home defense, but I think it's fantastic and definitely my favorite of all HK pistols.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Get r done!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
definitely my favorite (maybe just second favorite) handgun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Cool gun, but didn’t get used very often - it’s seen more action virtually that it ever did for real.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
It's all the ridiculous novelty of the Desert Eagle, but in a caliber you already own, with some really cool American military history behind it.

It's purely a toy for me, not anything I'd use for carry or home defense, but I think it's fantastic and definitely my favorite of all HK pistols.

This.

I've had a couple ... years ago I had a Desert Eagle in 44 mag at the same time, the 23 is much lighter and more enjoyable to shoot.

I bought a used one that didn't look like it had more than a few rounds through it, I've shot it a couple times, suppressed and not. As mentioned its very accurate and has a decent trigger, but it is big!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The infantry brigade I was with in Iraq in 04-05 had some and a few of the brigade HQ guys were carrying them. We had them because the SF guys had no use for such a big cumbersome brick. Good gun for sure but way too big for the purpose. The vast majority of SF at that time I saw were either carrying the standard M9 or a 1911. Fast forward to 08 in Afghanistan and I did not see any h&K’s at all very few 1911’s and the SF team on our post was carrying again M9’s or various glocks.
One of my associates ( an officer with SF connections let’s say) found an m3 grease gun he wanted to use as a spare gun but could not acquire enough .45 ammo to make it worth while

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one at the MWR range I volunteer at. It doesn't feel too heavy to me, but it is rather large, similar in size to our desert eagle. The few times I've shot it, it shoots accurately and doesn't really have much recoil. I'd say the trigger is better than our new P30s. Folks rent it for the cool factor and generally seem to enjoy it. I cleaned it the other day and despite it being a range gun, it really didn't show any wear. I'd wrap my hands around it and see how it felt before I purchased it.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine for what it is in terms of uniqueness and history. If the size doesn't bother you or the money involved there really is no downside to owning one. They are totally reliable, service parts and mags easy to find.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I bought my first one about a year and a half ago and not more than 2 months after that I found a new old stock KH model with the Maritime finish complete with the camo case and everything so I snatched it up! It’s actually my shooter and it’s laser accurate when you do your part. Great feeling and shooting pistol. A tank of a weapon really. The beefiness is unparalleled. I read a TON on this weapon before and since I have purchased, went through countless old threads on HKpro.com and I am even more happy I finally got them in the stable.

Many will say, “oh it’s too big, or my tactical can do anything it can do and then some, or it’s the only crew served pistol”, though once you hold it and shoot it, you get it. It’s gotta be experienced to appreciate it. I have medium hands and I can handle it fine. Just a neat piece of history to own as well, as it is pretty much the most tested handgun ever and can outshoot most any other 45ACP, including custom 1911’s.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Now that is accuracy with a hell of a group!! That would be me at 5' ! Big Grin Thanks for the photo.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Now that is accuracy with a hell of a group!! That would be me at 5' ! Big Grin Thanks for the photo.

Thanks! I know I do my part, but none of my other pistols group like that. Some say the mark 23 is huge but I've superimposed it over a 1911 and absent the threaded portion of the barrel it's only a half inch longer. The girth is just a fraction more than a USP and only a few people complain about that gun. All in all, the Mark 23 is worth the money. I've seen them sell for as low as 1350.00. Find one of those and snatch it up!