SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kel-Tec P17 .22LR pistol - Why, Kel-Tec...WHY?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kel-Tec P17 .22LR pistol - Why, Kel-Tec...WHY? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ll buy one. Probably not going to be the newest greatest ccw gun, but for the price why not? I love my Sr22 and my m&p22 I’m sure it’s competing in that same sort of market. I have a firm rule to never buy any Kel-Tec product for the first year or so after they are released, but I’ve never had any issues with my Kel-Tecs following that rule.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
And making judgements on quality based on a photo is foolish.

What about making judgments based on prior experience with Keltec designs plus Keltec's ongoing reputation for producing less refined guns?

I'm not saying Keltec doesn't have its niche in the gun market, or that this isn't worth picking up as a fun and cheap plinker. But let's admit that with a little experience with Keltec's prior guns, one can easily make an educated guess about this new gun's level of build quality, even without personally fondling or trying it.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No, you can't. Smile

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it proves to be reliable with quality .22 LR ammunition, it may end up being a wildly popular pistol. That's the key, though- it must be reliable. Above all else, it's gotta go bang. Consistent funtioning is always the bugaboo with rimfire auto pistols.

Only 14 ounces, loaded with 17 rounds? That's quite attractive- if it works.

I know that Kel-Tec firearms make some people feel all icky. I don't want to marry the damn thing. I couldn't care less if it has Phillips-head screws showing externally, or the other usual complaints about Kel-Tecs. Something like this is purely a tool.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a 16+1 plinker, even though I'm in a 10-round-limit state. I'm 50/50 on Kel-Tec, having had a PF9 that didn't work out and a P32 that I still own and love.

All that said, that is one ugly pistol ... It might be so ugly that it comes all the way back around to cool. That happens sometimes.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I realize it really shouldn't matter, but that looks like a cross between and Edsel, and something my cat coughed up. And I don't mean that in the good way.

The only redeeming features seem to be price and capacity. Now why can't Sig, CZ, Ruger, Browning, Kimber, and all of the other 22LR adapter manufacturers offer 16, or even 20 rnd options?

If it can resist the urge to jam, it will probably sell.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
If I take my glasses off it doesn't look too bad. It would be a great hiking bag or tackle box gun.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I had Kel-Tec guns in the beginning, when they were Grendel. Remembering the Grendel P10 and P30 (the forefather of the current PMR30), I never had a problem with them. The P30 was really a fun blaster. Based on look alone, I'd rather have the old P30.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a chuckle out of folks that call this pistol ugly, and then open their safe to look at their Glocks......Oh, for shame!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only problem I've had out of my P11 is a broken slide stop, warranty replaced & trouble-free otherwise.

At 199, I could see picking one up, if they're cheaper on the shelf.

LGS nearby has a FDE CMR30 on the shelf for $700. Too much for me, maybe at 30-50% less.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
One thing I'll say about Kel Tec is that they make interesting firearms, unlike most other companies. I don't have much experience with them, but I have played around with their folding 9mm carbines, and even though the build was kinda cheap, it was reliable and fun. And the damn thing folds in half.

I actually have an interest in Kel Tec's CP33, a .22LR target pistol that uses proprietary mags holding 33 rounds. 1/2-28 threads for a suppressor. Never held one or fired one, nobody seems to have them in stock (another Kel Tec characteristic). Reviews in the press make it look promising. I'd rather have the CP33 than this P17, but if this thing is fairly accurate and feeds well, $199 MSRP is not bad.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I get a chuckle out of folks that call this pistol ugly, and then open their safe to look at their Glocks......Oh, for shame!!

Well ... on a scale of 1 to 10, a Glock is a solid 4. This thing is a 1 or a 2. Big Grin

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call Glocks 'ugly'. Form follows function. Glocks adheres to this principle. I'd characterize Glocks as being cartoonish in appearance because of their square, featureless slide. The appearance of Glocks is inoffensive.

When I say Glocks are cartoonish in appearance, I mean that. Go to about 2:45 in this Rick & Morty clip and you'll see fairly accurate repesentation of a Glock- actually several Glocks.

The idea that Glocks are ugly goes back a long way- to the late 1980s and into the early 1990s. The reason for this is what Glocks were being compared to at the time in terms of handguns- blued steel and walnut. Well, those days are pretty much gone now. Glock changed the market, and now just about every pistol manufacturerr offers polymer frame, striker-fired pistols. And compared to some of those pistols, Glocks are inoffensive, not to be characterized as ugly. What makes some of these polymer pistols ugly- well, you can see it to an extent in the little popper we're discussing in this thread- all these little nooks and crannies in these pistols, just for the sake of styling. You've even got SA, Inc Inc. actually putting the words "Grip Zone" in the grip area of some of their pistols. Now, tell me- does anyone here not know how to hold a pistol? Just what purpose does that serve? It's nothing but jackassery from designers and/or the marketing department of that maker.

So, let's put this into perspective and recognize that Glocks are plain and cartoonish in their appearance, but they are not an offense to the eye when compared to a bunch- a whole bunch of the Glock imitators. 'Ugly' suggests an appearance which is repellent in nature. In the modern polymer pistol era, Glocks are merely 'plain'

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 Keltecs. The 9mm carbine was a cool concept but could not get thru a mag without jams. Bought the little .380 , same thing. The .22 pistol is another cool concept\ package rom Kel Tec. And like the others it's my opinion that it will be unreliable junk.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
How is that threaded barrel going to mount a suppressor? I have an old-school stub style AWC Archangel but it's not 1/2-28. None of my normal 22LR cans appear to work on it.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger sold a ton of the SR-22's and this holds way more rounds.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m spitballing here, but I bet you unscrew the thread protector and screw on an extension. That is my swag on the topic. Agree with para above but this thing is ugly. I would buy one if it works for what will end up being market price. 150-175 ish.

Posts: 7350 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sort of looks like a laser gun from Buck Rogers....

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
this Rick & Morty clip and you'll see fairly accurate repesentation of a Glock- actually several Glocks.'

Not bad. Grip angle is correct. Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of King of Useless Knowledge
posted Hide Post
people knock key etc but the PMR30 is great. depending on price id try this

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: May 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post