SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    sig conversion 229 dak .40 to 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig conversion 229 dak .40 to 9mm Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted
What does it take to convert a .40 229DAK from .40 to 9mm? thank You for looking

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will need a conversion barrel.

Barsto and the like will have them.

Or a complete 9mm slide assembly.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
just the barrel or the slide also has to be replaced? the 9mm 229 mags will be needed also?

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You only need a conversion barrel (not a factory barrel). Your 40 magazines will feed 9mm. You may need a 9mm recoil spring, but try without first.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Range use, yeah the conversion barrel would be ok with .40 mags.
If you are looking to carry it, I would look for a complete 9mm slide assembly (barrel, recoil spring, locking block?) and just use your .40 frame. Also get 9mm mags. I have a .40 cal no rail frame wearing a 228 upper assembly that has been totally reliable for the couple hundred rounds I've put through it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2738 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the info.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I have a Classic P229 DA/SA in .40/.357 Sig. I got a Bar-Sto 9mm semi-fit conversion barrel and had it finished out by the great Robert Burke. I use the same recoil spring, but did get 9mm magazines to ensure proper feeding and slide lockback.

It shoots great, and I now have three pistols that shoot all three calibers---my P229, my P320, and my P250.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
I went both ways on my .40 model. I had a .357 barrel already for dual caliber use. A conversion barrel for fun and later a dedicated 9mm caliber exchange kit in 9mm when I decided to carry it off duty. In my case a locking block was necessary due to my German frame not being completely compatible with the US exchange kit. The 229-1 magazines make for a reliable weapon and I added a .22 exchange kit as well. All bases covered.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post