Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P230SL Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
I just picked up an immaculate NIB P230SL in 9mm kurz from the original buyer. No papers; 2 mags that obviously haven't had ammo loaded, but a perfect condition red cardboard box. Any way to determine when it was built; the seller thought it was likely mid to late 80's but (like all of us) memory is fading. ??

Serial is S004268

Do these little guns like to be oiled or greased?

aileron

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Grease...Lube it like any other SIG Wink

Tysons Corner I presume? 'JG' Date/Proof Code?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Is there a two letter date code stamped anywhere?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tysons Corner VA and what looks like JG along with two other proof marks on the slide just forward of the ejector. The upper/fwd area of the ejector has recessed dimple with what appears to be red paint. "Made in W. Germany"

aileron

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
JG date code would make it an ‘86 production date.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I'm tempted to put it in the safe unfired, but at 70 I don't know who will end up with it or even want it/think it's special.

Best to grease it up, and run a few mags through it to see if it's a keeper.

aileron

posted Hide Post
When shooting it pay attention to your grip, these pistols had a reputation as a Slide Biter back in the day.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is elegant, just elegant!

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 123 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I'll post some pics after I get the 35 year old factory lube cleaned up. The take down lever needed a little CLP to get it to swing down after all this time.

posted Hide Post
Such an impractical pistol these days. But damn if they aren’t just plain sexy. Only pistol I’ve bought just for looks.

Mine needed some finish work, a little filing here and sanding there. It was a police turn in:

Yours is hella pretty. As for firing, it should’ve come with a test target. So it’s not unfired. Shoot away!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Yea, it's like a redhead. You know they'll be trouble, but you get involved anyway.

I knew I wanted it the instant the original owner opened the box.

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful guns. Congratulations on a nice find.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Yes, Tysons Corner VA and what looks like JG along with two other proof marks on the slide just forward of the ejector. The upper/fwd area of the ejector has recessed dimple with what appears to be red paint. "Made in W. Germany"

aileron

That 'recessed dimple w/ red paint' on the Extractor functions as an LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). Wink

VERY Nice Find by the way! A 'Virgin' P230 SL isn't something you see very often....Sexy! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
These are very sexy (I have P232) but would disagree with BuddyCryst about being impracticable.

For example; would you rather be shot by a .380 or 9mm?

My personal answer: Neither. Wink

Same similar situation; my buddy didn't want to get his wife a .380 or .22 mag because "not effective."

I asked him, "since I have both, which would he like me to shoot you with the .22 mag or .380 to determine which is more effective? "

He got the point without needing to see the flash. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impractical? Please explain.

Tango Alpha Leather Goods

Posts: 97 | Location: Wilson, NC | Registered: April 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice find. I have a dozen of these jewels and I shoot most of them, carry one too.

Posts: 920 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impractical because it’s single stack (limited capacity), .380 as opposed to 9mm, euro mag release, direct blowback so increased felt recoil compared to a browning action, all in a relatively large and heavy package. Let’s not forget that it’s been discontinued for years and parts and magazines are getting hard to come by (springs you can find may need mods to work on the P230 as opposed to the P232). It was fantastic in the 80’s and 90’s when compact meant P229/G19 sized.

For example the P365 is smaller in every dimension (yes I have Hogues on the P230, but it’s still 0.2” wider in stock config), but has 10 rounds of 9mm (12 if you want to get closer to P230 size).

The two advantages the P230 have is a fixed barrel (but accuracy of tilting barrel platforms are just fine) and sexiness. DA/SA can be argued either way.

The are a fair number of guns these days that perform the “deep concealment” role much more effectively. Not saying it’s garbage, just that there are so many better options, from the above P365, the P238/938, S&W Shield or Bodyguard, Ruger LC9 or LCP, G43/48, etc.

I still love my sleek P230. Just find it impractical to carry when there are pistols better suited to the role now.

OP, please don’t take my posts as knocking your acquisition. I think it is fantastic! I love the P230, especially the SL. And you clearly got a mint one!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
<<snip>>

VERY Nice Find by the way! A 'Virgin' P230 SL isn't something you see very often....Sexy! Cool

I bought one NIB from a forum member here about a year or so ago. It was a JJ date code if memory serves, and never fired other than at the factory. Came in the original plastic case with all paperwork and test target. I also scored an additional 3 brand-spankin' new stainless steel mags, still sealed from the factory, from another forum member here for a measly $35.00 each (if memory serves)... certainly cheaper than the used ones my LGS had in stock!

Be warned, mine took over 200 rounds of fairly hot ammo (Fiocchi gave me the best performance) to get broken-in to the point I could rely on it for concealed carry! At the current cost and scarcity of .380 ammo, it just may be a bit expensive to get it broken-in, but the final result will be worth it! Mine is one of my regular "daily carry" guns, both IWB and pocket-carry if my pockets are big enough! Yes, I bought it for its looks, but also somewhat as an investment, despite the fact I knew I would carry and shoot it! The price of those little suckers is only going UP, when fired or not, so just enjoy the danged thing!!! Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I 100% agree with BuddyChryst's summary on its level of practicality. My own P232SL scratched a desirability itch but having shot the thing multiple times after it came home and trying to like it beyond its aesthetics, there are definitely better carry solutions available in this day and age that we are blessed to be living in. The argumentative point of not wanting to be shot by a .380 is pure nonsense to me, not when there are equally if not smaller-sized 9x19 pistols with far more abundant firepower that are actually softer-shooting. Or when there's the recoil-friendly sweetheart of a P238 also out in the wild. There's nothing inherently wrong with anyone wanting a P230 or P232, nor with any of those persons wanting to use it as an EDC. But there's no getting around that it's a design from a bygone era, one that's more about being romanticized than actually measured and judged against the customary harsh light of modern-day metrics.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P230SL still the prettiest pistol in the Sig Fleet. I too got my from a retired LEO. I wouldnt say the pistol is not practical, as its still one of the best point and shoot pistols, and its pretty easy to conceal and carry an extra mag or two.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post