SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home! Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
While most people think the Pro is Springfield's top of the line gun, I've always been partial to the TGO1.

https://www.springfield-armory...go-1-45-acp-handgun/

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
As posted earlier in the thread, the Professional and other Custom Shop guns aren't eligible for the employee discount.
TRP is as high as it goes. She arrives Monday.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I love my TRP. The trigger has a bit of a roll to it that I'd like to get rid of, but the thing shoots so well I'm afraid to mess with it. After I got used to handling that cheese grater front strap, no other checkering feels sharp enough anymore. It's not my "nicest" gun, but it may well be my favorite.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it when it arrives. Looking forward to pics, review, and range report!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I'm with several of our fellow forumites, Professional followed by TRP.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Pro Light Rail .45 this morning. This thread got me to consider it when I saw one at the LGS last week. The pistol is very tight and well made. Not totally sold on the sights but that's a minor nit. Six mags is a positive benefit.

Here in Washington State we have to wait for the local PD to complete the background check but should have it later this week.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God Dammit!

Now I just bought a Springfield EMP4 Carry Contour - the one with the bobtail and mother of golfball texture - to fit the 9mm 1911 need instead of getting the Professional for 3X more money.

But I got delayed so maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
So, I picked her up this morning!

First impressions:

Fitting:

Boy, this thing is tight! Not a bit of play in the slide. No movement of the barrel when locked up. Very tight slide to frame fit when viewed from the rear. 9/10

Trigger: It feels like a full 5lbs to my uneducated finger. Clean break. A good bit of take up after reset. It may improve as it breaks in but this pistol deserves better. 7/10

Finish: Very nice. Not old Colt deep blue nice but 21st Century technology nice. Birdsong Black-T is my favorite finish for working guns. Tough, slick, handsome. Also, they seriously toned down the "TACTICAL RESPONSE PISTOL!!!!" slide markings. Gone is the diagonal T R P from the back right corner. The left side has only the TRP, by itself in tiny 14 pt font with a whole lot of nothing on the whole rest of that side. Tastefully done. 9 /10

Packaging and accessories:
Well packed. Nice, useful soft range bag. 2 good magazines. G10 stocks. Piranha texture, black and gray. No crappy plastic holster. 8/10

In summary:

To use a car analogy: a Nighthawk is a Open-Class Trophy Truck. A Les Baer is a Ford Raptor. The TRP is a F250 Super Duty Limited, designed to kick ass on your personal and professional to do list, not win championships or get you laid.
I like it.

That is all I have for now.
Pics and range report later.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid call on the TRP. Many happy rounds!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers has a TRP Operator; his was made close to a decade ago by now. When new his gun was SO tight that it simply would not run without stoppages. Springfield CS told him to run a case(!) of 230gr ball through it, and if it was STILL having problems give them a call then. Roll Eyes

I remember shooting it side-by-side against my old and now departed Brazilian-made Loaded, the rattle-job that one was. My loosey-goosey Loaded ran without problem, whereas his TRP would stovepipe or double-feed every few rounds. It's been a while since he told me, but I remember that he said that it finally "cured" itself around 600-700 rounds; that's a lot of 45AUTO cost that he had to add to the price of his gun. Last time I shot it the gun was dead-on accurate and operated without any heartache. OTOH I sold off my rattlely South American Loaded and moved on to other 1911s.

A Parkerized Mil-Spec came into inventory recently; if I weren't still so disgusted with SA I would've bought that one straight away. Surprisingly sweet trigger right out of the box that one would expect on a four-figure gun, and fit that was on par if not better than the typical higher level Range Officer. Finish was so-so, but that trigger would easily forgive any of those sins.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the stainless no-rail TRP a lot.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the TRP. I bought mine about 10-12 years ago & it's been a dependable workhorse. I quickly found that I wasn't a fan of the guide rod & changed it to a GI style before the second range trip. After about 20K rounds it's still chugging away.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post