SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home! Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
TRP Operator. This one specifically.

I have this very pistol. I would buy it again, even without a heavy discount.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
For about half the cost of the Pro model you can get a Springfield Master Class Aficionado limited edition. You basically get all the pro goodies at a discount as it is more of a production gun but doesn’t use any MIM.

https://oakhillguns.com/spring...limited-edition.html

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, that is the configuration of the guns shown by many full custom shops. They have more hand work but cost a whole lot more. Well suited to holding down a place in your gun safe.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
For about half the cost of the Pro model you can get a Springfield Master Class Aficionado limited edition. You basically get all the pro goodies at a discount as it is more of a production gun but doesn’t use any MIM.

https://oakhillguns.com/spring...limited-edition.html

That's freaking HAWT!! I like it!!!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not that I am the oracle of all things that go bang, but I didn’t even know about that model. Seems to be a nice mix of features per dollar.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I don't see it listed on Springfield's website. If it only from the custom shop, it may not be part of my discount program. I will call.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I don't see it listed on Springfield's website. If it only from the custom shop, it may not be part of my discount program. I will call.

Bruce

It was a limited production run of only 100 I think.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Update:

I went by the LGS, for something else, and they happened to have a TRP in stock, for me to handle.
It is pretty! And tight. Really tightly fitted.
What didn't impress me was the trigger: It wasn't *terrible* but it wasn't great, either. A ton of creep leading up to a decent 5lb-ish break.
Was I expecting too much, thinking that I would not have to have a trigger job done on a $1600+ 1911?
My Sig 1911 did go to the Sig Custom shop for trigger work and that trigger is light years better than this one.

Should I just shut up and have the trigger job done?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update:

I went by the LGS, for something else, and they happened to have a TRP in stock, for me to handle.
What didn't impress me was the trigger: It wasn't *terrible* but it wasn't great, either. A ton of creep leading up to a decent 5lb-ish break.
Was I expecting too much, thinking that I would not have to have a trigger job done on a $1600+ 1911?
My Sig 1911 did go to the Sig Custom shop for trigger work and that trigger is light years better than this one.

Bruce

For $1600, I'd spend more and get an Ed Brown, one and done.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah get the Ed Brown. It is a 1911. I have a Springfield Range Officer, but it is no Ed Brown and I do not have to contend with my mixed emotions concerning Springfield and their politics. I bought the Range officer before the company was found to be supporting some crazy gun legislation designed to help Springfield at the expense of gun owners. I have forgotten the details but it soured a lot of people on the company. Their stupid commercials with Yoga pants are another turn off.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm not having to spend the $1600 on it (hence this thread) so the TRP is the choice.
Ed Brown is not an option.

I guess I will hope my example has a better trigger or I will send it to a gunsmith to get it tuned.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Bruce, you will have a nice price on a good shooting 1911 even if you had to dump $300 into a trigger job.
(you won’t)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update:

Bruce

My TRP has a pretty good trigger. Not my WC Classic, but still pretty good. But with anything mechanical things can be a little different.

If the one you get has a poor trigger I would talk with SA about it and see what they say. They may work on it for you. I would be surprised if they didn't. If you decide to get a trigger job done I would definitely go with WC.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I got a TRP maybe 10-12 years ago & it's been a totally reliable work horse. It has over 10,000 rounds through it & the only thing I've done to it is replace the guide rod/spring with a GI style & do spring changes.

I used to carry it regularly until I got a Wilson CQB, then the TRP sort of took a back seat.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Update:

My TRP .45 just shipped!
(((Kermit flail)))

It arrives at work on Monday. I can't hardly wait!

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I think you'll be happy...they're nice guns. I tried to talk the sales guy into selling me one for the RO price since they didn't have the RO I wanted in stock, but he wouldn't go for it Big Grin. I ended up with a Loaded Stainless and have no complaints. Springfield makes a nice 1911.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
A 10mm Ronin...

But for now I’ll settle for the loaded model I just bought...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
RNCShooter,
Congrats on your TRP Smile

My oldest son has a Springfield MC Operator and likes it very much.

https://www.springfield-armory...grips-45-acp-handgun

Me? I'm a Dan Wesson fan. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Maximize your deep discount and go Pro.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lean towards the EMP model

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post