SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Springfield 1911 would you buy, if you had access to it at a deep discount? Edit: She's home! Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have been wanting a "better" 1911, for a while. I have a stainless Sig 1911 that works fine but it doesn't turn me on the way the higher-end ones do. I have access to an employee discount that will allow me to splurge on a Springfield.
Which one is the best or most practical for fast and accurate range shooting. I will be using this for defensive-style gun games, range fun, and demonstration of techniques to students.

My preferences: Full size. Steel frame. Steel sights, not fiber optic. Blued or Black-T finish.

I have been looking through the website but am getting confused with all the models. Range Officer? RO Elite? TRP?

Which one would meet my criteria as well as being reliable enough to carry?

Which would you go for?

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Professional.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Professional followed by a TRP for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
TRP

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have a 10mm TRP that I love.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my TRP. Outstanding firearm. I replaced the FLGR with GI, but that’s personal preference. Very good trigger, superb reliability, and stunning accuracy for a production gun. The front strap checkering feels sharp at first but now other 1911s feel weird without it. If I could only keep one of my handguns, that would probably be it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a stainless loaded and have been very happy with it. It's been very accurate and reliable.

If the cost isn't an issue, I'd just get a TRP (it's what I would have done if I could justify the extra $800)...it gets you the sights you're looking for, front strap checkering, a magwell, and a steel frame. I don't think you're going to find anything else in their standard offerings that will meet your stated needs better.

ETA: Ok, so I didn't realize that cost REALLY isn't an issue at all! In that case, go with the Professional for sure. I'd give my left nut for one of those. If cost is a little bit of an issue, then the TRP is still a good choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Professional

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have a TRP Operator. I would buy it again. Maybe a Professional.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Professional or Professional rail

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37082 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Professional and the Guncrafter Industries are in the same price range. I can also get a discount on the Guncrafter. Are they equivalent?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Professional followed by TRP. Don't have experience with gun crafter.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Discount? GunCrafter? Holy cow - get a .50GI!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I had a SA Professional that I foolishly sold. I currently have Guncrafter No Name commanders in 9mm and .45 cal. Both SA Professional and GCI are great quality guns. Would like to have a Professional again someday. You can’t go wrong with Either one.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Springfield Professional owner. I love the gun, but I also bought it when retail was $2599. I'm not sure that the juice is worth the current squeeze on them.

I think the TRP and TRP Operator are far better values. If you are looking for something in the $2000-$3000+ range, look at Les Baer, Nighthawk, Wilson, STI, and all the others. The Pro is a neat gun and very well made, but the TRP is about 90% of the gun at 40% of the price.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
After attending the Springfield 1911 armorer's course and shooting several versions at IALEFI last May, I would definitely choose the loaded TRP light rail pistol, which is a lot of gun for the money. If money were no object, the FBI contract professional light rail pistol which is up over $3k now.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Easy call. Pro without the rail.

What’s the discount after attending SA training?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are considering a Professional, splurge a little more and see if they will make you a TGO-1 in a reasonable time.

Nice thing about Guncrafter is they will special order what you want, SA Custom is kind of narrow these days.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Have two TRPs. One in 45 ACP, one in 10mm. Love both of them!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Professional. Awesome gun.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post