Picture of lyman
posted
Follks,

I am late to the 228 party,

picked up a very nice mid/late 90's version last night,

flat plastic box, test target papers etc,

and one 10 round mag..

I obviously need more mags, and standard capacity too,

is there a go to source? and anything to avoid??

would like to have factory, but open to Meggar etc if good quality

(I'll check gunbroker/cdnn etc)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
mecgar is good to go!! I have an abundance of 228 mags. I may have to thin them out a bit.

CDNN usually has some used ones at a good price!! actually 16.99 a piece right now!! phosphate. I would stacked deep at that price!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Report This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar makes 13rd SIG-branded OEM phosphate P228 mags but makes them under their own name too in blued and nickel finishes and the Mec-Gar branded standard capacity mags carry two more rounds at 15.

Another good source for Mec-Gar mags is Greg Cote.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Greg Cote. The blued mags are out of stock, but the Nickel ones are in. Both are inexpensive, and the Nickel one is only a dollar more.

P228 Mec-Gar 15-rd flush fit mag, Nickel, $23.95.

P228 Mec-Gar 15-rd flush fit mag, Blued, $22.95.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mec-gar makes fine P228 magazines. Mecgar made both 13 round and 15 round flush-fit magazines for the P228.

Other than Mecgar, I would avoid aftermarket magazines.

P226 magazines will also work in your P228 and may make for more positive reloads.

You will hear that P229 magazines will work in a P228. This is partially correct. Some P229 magazines will work in P228s. That is, early P229 9mm magazines will work in P228s. The P229 9mm magazines that will work do no have the extra body swell you see on P229 .357/.40 magazines. These early P229s were built on P228 spec'd frames, but used P229 stainless steel milled slides rather than the stamped P228 carbon steel slides.

P229 magazines that will not work in a P228:

.357/.40 P229 magazines will not work in P228s.

Later P229-1 magazines have the same body swells as the .357/.40 magazines and will not fit in your P228, even if the P229-1 magazine is for 9mm.

Fun fact: you can covert a 13 round P228 magazine into a 15 round magazine using one part from your ban-era ten round magazine.

When I received my first 15 round flush-fit Mecgar, I noted that the external size of the 15 round magazine was identical to that of the factory SIG 13 round magazine. Thus, the difference of two rounds must have been gained by Mecgar's more efficient use of the magazine's existing internal volume.

The factory 13 round magazine uses a very bulky "keel" style follower. If you replace the "keel" style follower in your 13 round magazine with the "cap" style follower from your ban-era 10 round magazine, you will find that your formerly 13 round factory magazine will now hold 15 rounds of 9mm. I did this on several magazines and found them to be perfectly reliable in this +2 configuration. YMMV.

Mecgar's 15 round magazine uses a similar solution, but benefits from an OEM conical spring which gives a little more room by collapsing in on itself as it compresses. However, the majority of gain with Mecgar's 15 round P228 flush fit magazine is still made by reducing the mass of the follower.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

I'll order a handful from CDNN

maybe a few from Greg Cote as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Mec-gar makes fine P228 magazines. Mecgar made both 13 round and 15 round flush-fit magazines for the P228.

Other than Mecgar, I would avoid aftermarket magazines.

P226 magazines will also work in your P228 and may make for more positive reloads.

You will hear that P229 magazines will work in a P228. This is partially correct. Some P229 magazines will work in P228s. That is, early P229 9mm magazines will work in P228s. The P229 9mm magazines that will work do no have the extra body swell you see on P229 .357/.40 magazines. These early P229s were built on P228 spec'd frames, but used P229 stainless steel milled slides rather than the stamped P228 carbon steel slides.

P229 magazines that will not work in a P228:

.357/.40 P229 magazines will not work in P228s.

Later P229-1 magazines have the same body swells as the .357/.40 magazines and will not fit in your P228, even if the P229-1 magazine is for 9mm.

Fun fact: you can covert a 13 round P228 magazine into a 15 round magazine using one part from your ban-era ten round magazine.

When I received my first 15 round flush-fit Mecgar, I noted that the external size of the 15 round magazine was identical to that of the factory SIG 13 round magazine. Thus, the difference of two rounds must have been gained by Mecgar's more efficient use of the magazine's existing internal volume.

The factory 13 round magazine uses a very bulky "keel" style follower. If you replace the "keel" style follower in your 13 round magazine with the "cap" style follower from your ban-era 10 round magazine, you will find that your formerly 13 round factory magazine will now hold 15 rounds of 9mm. I did this on several magazines and found them to be perfectly reliable in this +2 configuration. YMMV.

Mecgar's 15 round magazine uses a similar solution, but benefits from an OEM conical spring which gives a little more room by collapsing in on itself as it compresses. However, the majority of gain with Mecgar's 15 round P228 flush fit magazine is still made by reducing the mass of the follower.

Great reminder. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post