SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What In The World Is SIG Thinking? 'Limited Run' Of M-17 320s For Civilian Market
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What In The World Is SIG Thinking? 'Limited Run' Of M-17 320s For Civilian Market Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
And what's the freakin' point of making a civilian version of a military pistol in limited numbers?

Because they will sell like hotcakes.

Wanna bet how long before there's a new thread here on SF that touts the owner's new "Limited Run"? I guess as soon as they hit the streets. Of course this limited run will be virtually no different in function than the proud owner's other fourteen 320s, but this one is different, so he'll have to own it.

There are some smart people at Sig. They've done this kind of thing before and people have bought it.

Pick your favorite Sig model number, on just about any day, look at the first two or three pages on the SF site. Look for a thread with "I just bought this model Pxxx that's NIB. It looks a little different than my others. It's cool. It's uber fantastical. I just had to buy it. What's different about it?"

If I were a part of Sig's management, I'd be thinking of doing this type of thing on a regular basis. Kinda like a gun of the month thingie.....

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
They've done this kind of thing before and people have bought it.

Eh, I don't know about that. How's SIG's "Gun of the Month" program working out?

The point being that SIG doesn't need exclusivity to sell this pistol. That's kinda the point, from the manufacturer's point of view - like the 1911 or the Beretta 92, once it becomes standard issue it sells like hotcakes and then sells heavily for decades thereafter. The whole exercise, if it exists, is meaningless and a pointless waste of a volume of sales that could happen immediately.

Meanwhile, over on GB, you can find new 9mm 320F pistols going begging for less than $500.00 and CPOs for just under $410.00.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
Agreed. Firearms are no different than any other product in that the bulk of the market is comprised of uneducated consumers. "This is what the military uses" will sell a turd on a biscuit for a premium.

Sadly ... quite true ...

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eh, with an MSRP of $768, these should be available for relatively sane prices at some point in the foreseeable future. Then again, I consider current prices for the standard pistol to be a bargain.

OK, yeah, it's true - I'm a fanboy and now I'm gonna wait to get one of these instead.

BTW, just to throw this out there...at least once these start trickling in, let's start a new thread. Who knows, there may be less whining in it than there is in a thread I started just to gripe about something.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, yeah, it's true - I'm a fanboy and now I'm gonna wait to get one of these instead.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Why anyone would become spun up over this development to the point of even commenting about it is an absolute mystery to me.

People buy unusual guns for countless reasons: the finish or color, the provenance (who owned it before), markings, where it was produced (or wasn’t), its age, how similar it is to other guns, total number produced, etc., etc., etc. And “commemorative” guns are an entire separate class of their own. Does anyone believe that those guns that are advertised in limitless varieties in the back of gun periodicals and are produced in remembrance of a war, a movie star, one of the armed forces, or something else don’t sell?

Like all producers of goods, gun manufacturers make and sell guns for the purpose of making money. When they make money, that usually makes the company stronger. When a gun company is stronger, it’s more likely to remain in business and continue to produce the guns that the rest of us who aren’t interested in some sort of limited offering want to buy.

Here’s a bit of advice, however, to those who aren’t interested in such limited offerings: If you’re not interested, don’t buy one. You’re not being forced to, and the world will keep spinning without a hitch whether you do or don’t. And here’s another bit of perhaps shocking information: The fact that you are nobly able to resist the temptation to buy one doesn’t make you superior in any way to someone who wants to. I’ve never known a single person in my life who hasn’t been susceptible to some foolish whim, or even obsession about which most of the rest of us can only say “Huh?” in bemused wonder.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Why anyone would become spun up over this development to the point of even commenting about it is an absolute mystery to me.

People buy unusual guns for countless reasons: the finish or color, the provenance (who owned it before), markings, where it was produced (or wasn’t), its age, how similar it is to other guns, total number produced, etc., etc., etc. And “commemorative” guns are an entire separate class of their own. Does anyone believe that those guns that are advertised in limitless varieties in the back of gun periodicals and are produced in remembrance of a war, a movie star, one of the armed forces, or something else don’t sell?

Like all producers of goods, gun manufacturers make and sell guns for the purpose of making money. When they make money, that usually makes the company stronger. When a gun company is stronger, it’s more likely to remain in business and continue to produce the guns that the rest of us who aren’t interested in some sort of limited offering want to buy.

Here’s a bit of advice, however, to those who aren’t interested in such limited offerings: If you’re not interested, don’t buy one. You’re not being forced to, and the world will keep spinning without a hitch whether you do or don’t. And here’s another bit of perhaps shocking information: The fact that you are nobly able to resist the temptation to buy one doesn’t make you superior in any way to someone who wants to. I’ve never known a single person in my life who hasn’t been susceptible to some foolish whim, or even obsession about which most of the rest of us can only say “Huh?” in bemused wonder.

I was going to post but you pretty much summed it all up in a few paragraphs. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Big Grin Big Grin

Honestly this is a smart move for SIG - people want military clones and these will sell, assuming they limit production to keep supply low.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
They know many people will buy it because they think it is more tacticool because "it's the same one the Army uses", even if it really isn't and even if you can get the same handgun just in a different finish (sans the safety). If it's marked with XM17 or XM18, all the better. Think of the M11A1 and P226 Navy, or the Beretta M9, M9A1 and M9A3. The marking alone make them more marketable.

Some people might buy it because it has a thumb safety, because that is what they want. Either way SIG will find out if it sells and if it does, it will become part of their regular offering.

Hence the serialization of 1 in 5000. That way the people who did buy into it will still be able to feel they have something special when the regular offering comes out.

Somehow it is a better more effective firearm if some military unit, LEO or Special Unit uses it, or if it was in the movies. I feel the tug myself and have given into it more than once. There might, possibly, be some shred of reason if the gun is used to people who depend on it for their lives, but unfortunately, that isn't always the case.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How many M11-A1s, the civilian version of a gun the military NEVER BOUGHT, did they sell. At least the US Army did actually buy this.

Pseudo/insta-collectibles have always been a part of the gun market. And, really, there's nothing wrong with it, as long as people realize what they're getting.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

You see, if they didn't bitch about things like this, then you wouldn't have had the opportunity to post your thoughts. The internet would be a very quiet place. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I've got the MA version of the P320C. Besides having a masshole in the gun's barrel what is the difference between it and the Mil. version? Mag size to be excluded from this because we only need 10 in MA says our gubermint.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s a bit of advice, however, to those who aren’t interested in such limited offerings: If you’re not interested, don’t buy one. You’re not being forced to, and the world will keep spinning without a hitch whether you do or don’t.

Thank you for clarifying that. A great weight has been lifted off my shoulders, because 30 seconds before I read that, I was convinced that the world would stop spinning if I didn't buy one. The sun will indeed come out tomorrow, and I can live again. God bless you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the late 1990's/early 2000's I think Beretta sold some sort of "special edition" M9 that came with a pistol belt, holster, and mag pouch in the case. I would imagine those would be fairly collectible by now.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Shake and bake collectors item.

Small runs and distributer exclusives are all the rage these days. They cause a buzz and get product moving. Those who get worked up but miss out will usually buy the standard catalog item.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
How many M11-A1s, the civilian version of a gun the military NEVER BOUGHT, did they sell. At least the US Army did actually buy this.

Pseudo/insta-collectibles have always been a part of the gun market. And, really, there's nothing wrong with it, as long as people realize what they're getting.

My BIL was a pilot and carried a M11-228. So I do believe the military, at some point(s), did buy and issue M11's.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think some folks buy Mk 25's more as collectibles than shooters.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
I think some folks buy Mk 25's more as collectibles than shooters.

I agree. You can get an Elite with E2 grips cheaper than an MK25. Better trigger, more beavertail and serrations on the slide too.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post