SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Miami Vice in 2020- handgun selection
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miami Vice in 2020- handgun selection Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I’m watching the first season of Miami Vice. Having watched it each Friday night in the 80s, I remember how fresh Michael Mann’s approach was to the series. All of the “state of the art” hardware. Crockett started out with the Browning BDA and an episode later he moved to the Bren Ten for two seasons.

It got me to thinking. If Michael Mann were just now producing the show, what would he arm Sonny Crockett with?

The obvious choice would be a pimped out chrome P220/10.

What do you think?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
220's not new enough. I would say it would have to be a chromed modern double stack 1911.......or high polished cz 75B.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I'd like to think Sonny would carry a STI 2011 doublestack 9MM with a Trijicon RMR and a WML of some type. And a P365 as a back up piece.

Tubbs would definitely carry a Shockwave with a pistol grip and brace.

On an unrelated note, down in my basement, sits (unused for at least 10 years) the NEC 27" stereo TV I brought just to watch Miami Vice.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coogan 357mag

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Miami Vice the movie came out in 2006, and it was co-written directed by Michael Mann. You can see Crockett, Tubbs, and other characters' choice of weaponry at the following.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_(2006)

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I found the movie to be horrible.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I'd like to think Sonny would carry a STI 2011 doublestack 9MM with a Trijicon RMR and a WML of some type. And a P365 as a back up piece.

Tubbs would definitely carry a Shockwave with a pistol grip and brace.

On an unrelated note, down in my basement, sits (unused for at least 10 years) the NEC 27" stereo TV I brought just to watch Miami Vice.

Yep, something with an RMR. Tubbs, on the other hand, would be toting a pistol with a brace - a MPX or MCX maybe.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Inclined to agree on the P220 10mm. Cant really think of a piece which compares. Sinse I didnt see that '06 movie, Sonny useing a 552 would be awsome. Such a nice little weapon.

Posts: 17890 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I could see Crockett packing a G29 in South Florida..

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 X carry or compact with a red dot. Tubbs would possible have a 43X MOS. Long guns, Tact-14 and MCX.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Custom Korth PRS 6", but in 10mm. A 4" as backup. Their "ambiance" fits nicely with his 2020 rides, a SF90 Stradale and Skater 438 catamaran speedboat. Although the 2020 version of Crockett probably would be a pilot as well.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a 5.25" XDM in 10MM

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Crocket:
If he goes the Glock route - a G29 or a 30S
If he goes for a 1911 style- Wilson Combat EDC/X9

Tubbs:
Kimber K9S revolver, and. Mossberg Shockwave with wood furniture

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FK BRNO in 7.5 for Crockett, and some flavor of 3" 1911 for Tubbs, in addition to a Mossburg Night Stick shotty.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Crocket: CZ Custom 97B in 10mm
Tubbs: Remington V3 Tac-13 with or w/o SB brace depending on episode / situation

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some "ultra-modern looking" custom handgun like a 2011 or Zev Glock, with an RMR and lots of cocking serrations and lightening cuts.

Or something with an especially distinctive profile, like a Hudson H9 or Boberg XR9.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
So, after the Bren Ten, he went to a S&W 645, then to a S&W 4506, full size, single stack .45ACP, stainless, SA/DA with a safety.

If he kept with the trend, a stainless full size 1911, perhaps in double stack, although that would be SA only, or going back to a P220, stainless, perhaps in 10mm would seem to fit for Crocket.

Maybe a P220 Target Elite, 5" in 45ACP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sonny would be packing a micro red dot having something or other (Gucci Glock/2011 etc.). Ankle would be some kinda small Glock.

Tubbs is definitely rocking a shockwave. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tubbs transferred from NY and thus would carry whatever is typical for a NYC detective. Furthermore, if a choice is allowed and / or if the dept was in transition to a new format, he would opt for the more traditional choice. Long story short, he doesn’t put much emphasis on the choice of sidearms.

Crockett is like a 14-yr-old boy who will opt for the latest solution to a never-resolved question. The 220 and Bren were perceived as improvements (system or caliber) to the semi-auto format. Perhaps today he’d opt for a DWX? Or something in a metal-framed striker format?

He isn’t content with tried & true; he is trendy but within functional limits.

Somewhat like his cars. The Testarossa was “the car” at that moment in time. But history has not been kind to that model. Of course, Crockett would have already moved to the next fad again and again.

Cool thread. I still remember watching the first airing of the episode with Zubiena. My college roommate and I had gotten hooked on the show; our girlfriends didn’t appreciate that Friday night dates had to await the end of the show. Neither of us were familiar with Zubiena or such skill; we were stunned by the speed of that early scene.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw a Sig mastershop engraved pistol with gold controls and white grip that whispered Sonny Crockett to me.
Tubbs would have an everyday Glock or M&P plus a Shockwave.

Posts: 1189 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post