SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p227 grip profile for p220 ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

p227 grip profile for p220 ? Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

I have a p220 that I don't shoot well due to grip size. P227 fits my hand quite well. It is not practical for me to obtain a p227 since I'm still behind the iron curtain of a Commie state. What is a good grip out there that can make my p220 feel like p227?

Thanks.

Posts: 124 | Location: PRC - People Republic of California | Registered: July 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, you can't shoot the P220 well because the grip size is too small for your hand?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So, you can't shoot the P220 well because the grip size is too small for your hand?

I prefer it fat, as in double stack fat, as most of my guns Wink Every time I pick it up, or after reload, I keep pointing it to either left or right, and have to adjust my aim every time. I didn't have that problem with a p277 that I borrowed.

Posts: 124 | Location: PRC - People Republic of California | Registered: July 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gabe123:
quote:

I prefer it fat, as in double stack fat, as most of my guns Wink Every time I pick it up, or after reload, I keep pointing it to either left or right, and have to adjust my aim every time. I didn't have that problem with a p277 that I borrowed.

Then your best bet would be one of these factory wood grips. They do increase the girth a bit.
P220 Blackwood grips
P220 Rosewood grips

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Uncheckered Hogue wood grips have the widest feel to them

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but not in exactly the same way. I wish there was something that replicated that wide front grip frame; it really makes it easy the 'hug' the pistol back into the base of the palm. I don't mean to be Debby Downer, but I don't think that filling out the sides of the grip is really going to offer the same benefit.

FWIW, I would recommend trying an old pair of Hogue polymer grips that have the sort of finger cut outs in front if you can find them. Not the Handall, you understand. Since Hogue still (last I heard, anyway) has a shop down in SLO-town, you might give them a call and see if they still have a set tucked away somewhere - I'm afraid they're not in the catalogue anymore.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gabe123:
quote:

Amen brother. I’ve never thought twice about the grip on my 226; it just works for me. But, I’ve recently bought two 220’s and the flat, thin profile has been a struggle for my long hands and I don’t naturally orient the pistol correctly within my hand. I’ve been pickier with the grip style and texture.

I’m sure the recoil difference also plays a part and my problem is lessened with the SAO Legion’s frame cut, checkering and the thumb safety, but it hasn’t been an easy transition.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post