SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 22 and the 40S&W
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 22 and the 40S&W Login/Join 
posted
About 14 years ago I used to love shooting my Gen 2 Glock 22. WWB from Walmart was about $15 for 100 count.

Then I started shooting Glock 23 Gen3. Not as much fun. Then I shot a Glock 27 for a while. The fun really wasn't there.

Went back to 9mm with a Glock 26 and the fun was back.

About a year ago a good friend gifted me his old police trade in Glock 22 Gen 2. I had a wolff solid guide rod from the early days, so I popped that in. Then it just sat.

Took it out to the woods yesterday. What fun it was. I smiled looking at the old marked Law Enforcement Only mags he gave me during the ban. That gun was fun.

I understand the trend toward 9mm and fully support it as a long time G-19 and G-26 shooter..........but I would like the 40S&W to stick around. It really is fun in the bigger guns. So much so I bought a holster for the old G-22. May just find it's way into winter carry rotation

Thanks for taking the time to listen to
my nostalgia.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I would like the 40S&W to stick around.

The .40 might have lost its popularity, but it's not going anywhere.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't see use as a carry pistol, it is a prime candidate for a carbine kit in .357Sig. Big Grin

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
but I would like the 40S&W to stick around.

The .40 might have lost its popularity, but it's not going anywhere.

And, as we have seen in the past, tides change. One failed mainstream shooting and the 9mm could fall from favor again.

For now, I'll continue to appreciate it and its authoritative pop in my bigger guns.

Although I do remember working at the range, the professionals like Chuck Taylor bragging on the Glock 27......dang that thing was no fun. Thankfull the 9mm caught up Razz

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 35 is where the awesome is........

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
If it doesn't see use as a carry pistol, it is a prime candidate for a carbine kit in .357Sig. Big Grin

I was working at a gun range when 357 sig was introduced. Factory Federal was all that was available at the time as well as one rental gun.

I remember thinking it was cool but questioning why it was better than 40 S&W.

Once the range closed and I started to read on the 357 sig did I understand the accuracy issue with .40 vs 357 sig.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I have never owned or shot one, but I imagine its fun as heck,

The .40 is fantastic in bigger guns.

I love shooting the bigger ones and will continue to support the .40 unless it becomes boutique.

Plus the burnt powder smell is unique........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: highroundcount,

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed!
quote:

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the .40 S&W cartridge. I shoot a lot more 9mm these days, but I still like the .40 S&W.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want a real treat? Try it in a P229 or P226. Can find pretty cheap turn ins, I think AIMsurplus just got some.

ETA: my wife actually prefers the .40 P229 to the 9mm P228.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
If 40S&W was as cheap as 9mm I would shoot it as much as 9mm and I like the size of the Model 22. It is fun.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Want a real treat? Try it in a P229 or P226. Can find pretty cheap turn ins, I think AIMsurplus just got some.

I've never been a .40 cal fan, but I had a Sig 226 in .40 cal once and it was great to shoot. I never should have sold it.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I sold all my .40 cal guns off a few years ago.

I've been getting an itch lately to get back into .40, for some odd reason.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. The 229 in .40 is a fantastic gun to shoot. I really need to get a used one.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I bought a LEO trade in G23.4 for $300-ish a couple years ago and a case of 180gr AE ammo for $199 shipped from PSA.

I think I have shot 1 whole box of 40. Might convert it to 9MM as a suppressor host, but I'm still glad to have it around should 9MM dry up again in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
The 229 in .40 is a fantastic gun to shoot.

Absolutely yes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Totally. My absolute favorite 40 S&W gun.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course there is that issue that a 34 does the same things only better.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course there is that issue that a 34 does the same things only better.

Except convert to a .40. Wink.......course the 35 could also be “detuned” to a 9mm.

Okay so I am just f’in with you. Given the choice I’d grab a 34 too. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have a BHP in .40. I see .40 as kind of like .357 mag. Snappy, quick recoil, fun to shoot once in a while as a novelty. But I prefer shooting 9mm and .45 over it most of the time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:

Agreed. The 229 in .40 is a fantastic gun to shoot. I really need to get a used one.

You should feel how little felt recoil there is thru a P229 Stainless Elite. Heaven!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post