Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 36 Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I know the G36 is considered a bit of an odd-ball.

Does anyone here carry one? What's your experience with it?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't carry one myself. Have shot it some though. Liked it better than the SA XDS 45, a gun that I was at one time considering in what seems a lifetime ago. But since then I've also found that I prefer shooting and handling the more recent Shield 45 more than the G36. Frankly the G30S and its larger capacity makes for a more compelling choice to me. YMMV of course.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I have both the 36FGR (newer version-Finger Groves, Rail), and a 30-S.

The 36 carries flat, and with 6+1 fairly light compared to a fully loaded 30S.

I found on both models, I personally like the Pearce base plates for the magazines compared to the stock Glock base plates. The Pearce seemsto eliminate the pinky pinch.

On my 36 when brand new I had occasional feed issue with all the magazines (5 total). I changed out to Wolff extra power mag springs and the gun has been 100% for years.

The differences I see between both are that the 30S is the short frame, and even though it's a little fatter the grip seems a little more comfortable on the 30S. Also, the 30S has the option of using one of the old Model30 flush base 9 round mags, and since I carry a 27 with the flush mag the 30S with the flush mag is a good carry option I use.

Overall the 36 has been an accurate shooter and comfortable single stack carry gun.

Here's a pic of both- the 30S has the flush mag in it.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I carried a G36 part-time between 2010-2012. I picked mine up used and probably put 2000 rounds through it. It was as reliable as any of my other Glocks. I never really warmed up to the feel of the grip. I actually prefer the thicker grip of the G30, but I shot the G36 about as well as the G30. I also had an XDS 45 at the time and definitely liked the G36 better.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I never really warmed up to the feel of the grip. I actually prefer the thicker grip of the G30

Same here. I owned a G36 for a brief period, but never warmed up to it. And the grip was the main reason. It's too skinny and uncomfortable. Felt like trying to grip a 1x4, with my hand making contact with the frontstrap and backstraps only. The wider G30 is a better fit, although I still like the G30 the least of all my Glocks.

Another strike against the G36 is that it's only offered as a Gen 3, with none of the improvements of the later Gen 4 or Gen 5. I suspect it doesn't sell well enough to justify updating, and is on its way out.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G 36 is the only Glock I've had any problems with, and it took a trip back to Glock to fix them. It was basically a failure to extract and a failure to feed at the same time. Known issue that seemed to affect a small number of pistols, regardless of build date. Works fine now, but because of the grip size, you need to hang on to be accurate with it. I prefer the G 30 for carry, and it is a softer shooter because of grip size and heavier slide. They conceal pretty much the same. G 36 is slimmer, but overall length and height are the same.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
When I was on patrol in uniform I carried a G36 in a leather ankle holster as my back up for years. That was when we were issued P220s. It was a great gun for me and I dispatched many injured deer with it.

I never had any issues with the G36 and wish I still had it. I will say that I just don't care for the two fingered grip but it worked well on the ankle and for what I needed it for.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Glock 36 was my first Glock pistol. It was concealable, reliable and accurate. Naturally, I sold it. Wish I hadn't.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Mine has always been reliable. Oddly, it’s my “fastest” gun, and the only one I’ve ever used to beat the timer. (Got my splits faster than the timer could record)

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 36 for almost 2 years. I also put approximately 800 flawless rounds through it. A few years ago I replaced it with a Sig 938 (lighter, smaller, carrying 8 rounds) And ended up selling the 36.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago but it would not feed or eject properly. It was a shame as it had a nice feel to it and at the time, great size for ccw.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own and carry a very early production (2001) G36. It has been completely reliable from the first shot. It fits our hand better than the double stacks, and we can shoot it plenty well enough for its intended mission.

Being "limited" to six rounds in the mag hardly keeps us up nights. Our only complaint against our G36 is a minor one: its relatively stout recoil. Not shocking from such a light pistol launching .45ACP ordnance...

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had a G30s for awhile.
For shits and giggles I bought a G36 frame on GB.
Ran the G30s slide on it and compared the 2.

The G36 frame and mags had the pinky finger pinch from hell when shooting.
Didn't care for the thinner grip.

Ultimately sold both the G30S and the G36 frame.
The only 45 Glock I like and own is a Gen 2 G21.

A few comparison pics I took at the time.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Had one that wouldn't make it through a magazine without issues. Went back to Glock and returned with the same problem. Sold it to my LGS with full disclosure.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIIW, when I sent my G36 in to Glock earlier this year, they replaced the locking block pin, the spring loaded bearing for the loaded chamber indicator, the RSA, and the slide lock and spring. Whatever the principal cause for the problem, these changes fixed it.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got one. I don't carry it much (I did). Love it.
Five and six rounds in a revolver never left me feeling cheated, so six in an auto doesn't, either. A whole lot cleaner and easier to carry a magazine than lint-loaded speed loaders or speed strips...so six in an auto works fine.

Of course, ten or twelve in the P365 works fine, too...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mine's been flawless. Bought it for no reason other than a friend had it for sale and the price was right. Something new to play with and learn. It lives in my bathroom now. (In case we get attacked on the crapper!) Big Grin

Beat this horse before, but if the made a full sized one, it would be the first new Glock I've ever bought. (and I need another .45 like a hole in the head)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I had one years ago but it would not feed or eject properly. It was a shame as it had a nice feel to it and at the time, great size for ccw.

Same thoughts here. The only Glock I had issues with.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post