SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 .45 ACP magazines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 .45 ACP magazines Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
What do you consider the most reliable and durable magazines?

The top two recommendations I've received were:

Wilson Combat
Chip McCormick Powermags

I've also used Metalform and Trip Research Cobra mags.

The 1911s I've purchased usually come with Mec-Gar or now Checkmate. The GSRs I have from the first gen were NOVAK mags.

Kimber has their own, but they are probably just someone else's branded. Looks like Nighthawk Custom uses ACT-MAG. Looks like Les Baer and Ed Brown probably have theirs made to their specifications.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I use WILSON and McCORMICK magazines. Despite some complaints, I've never had an issue with the KIMBER magazines.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get down to one manufacturer if possible other than what comes with the gun.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no issues with Checkmate 1911 magazines.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Same here. Although I own a few 'botique' magazines just good old standard Checkmate mags with the hybrid feed lips have fed everything from multiple 1911's I own.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Same here. Although I own a few 'botique' magazines just good old standard Checkmate mags with the hybrid feed lips have fed everything from multiple 1911's I own.

Here either. My DW came with a pair of Checkmate mags and they've been perfect. Otherwise, flip a coin or wait for a sale on either McCormick or Wilson mags and buy several, they're both worth the money. Avoid GI mags like the plague, especially later ones.

Posts: 7242 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
The Checkmate mags are less expensive than either McCormick or Wilson. Same for Metalform and Tripp Research.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Wilson for me.

Same here, I think I have a dozen. 47D's are all I've used for decades and I would NEVER pay $34 for them. Wait for a sale!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
KimPro Tac-mag

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
http://joes1911magmania.net/
Can't beat their prices!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1496 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Wilson for me also

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with Wilson Combat mags

Posts: 13790 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Wilson and McCormick for me.

I miscounted on this stage, but it is th eonly one I got on film. Turns out that I came in 3rd in my category and 5th overall.

https://flic.kr/p/29jvkwg

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Wilson ETM 24.99 at Brownells. Ed Brown 7rnd (Checkmate) 15.99 also on sale at Brownells.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
Tripp Research Cobra Magazines...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Chip McCormick mags and have been very happy with them over the years, hell decades really.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Chip Mc's gave me LOTS of trouble in the gritty sandy conditions I used them in. Sold them all.

I have some Baer mags (look like Wilson's to me?) and while I haven't done much with them, they're a pain to clean, which I do a lot.

Much like my P220 mags, my 1911 ACT Mag split in several places, only without ever having fired a shot. Knowing the junk they can be I only use it as a Barney mag and it still split.

I have 22 Metalform mags of all variation, their most expensive one's down to their low/mid range ones. No complaints or issues.

I had some feed issues with the 10mm I had that I believe were mag related. (Checkmate's)

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I prefer the etm to the 47d for easily getting round #8

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Tripp and McCormick. Wilson mags are excellent.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post