Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPK Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have any experience with the 7.65 version? How do they shoot? I am looking at purchasing one built approx 1968 or so. Only comes with 1 mag, no box, maybe refinished at one point. Priced around $400 which seems to be fair. Thanks.

-whisky

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned several PP, PPK, PPK/s pistols and currently have my late F-I-L’s PP 7.65; which is the only one that has been 100% reliable. Still, it is a fifty year old gun and not designed for HP ammo. This slide will cut my hand most every time I shoot it. It is heavy for it’s size and there are better self defense cartridges.

History wise this series is plain neat. Now-a-days, there are better options and calibers to use for self defense. I do believe $400.00 is high for a re-finished gun.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pre-war 7.65 PPK is 100% with FMJ, and with Winchester's older Silver Tips.

Having said that, for anything marginally serious, I'd get some S&B or Fiocchi FMJ's which are loaded closer to the original specs. Today's .32ACP loads are weaker. Don't bother with hollowpoints.

Greg Cote (member here) sells mags for the PPK. Here's a link to his Mec-Gar's with the finger extension, which by the way, is black. He also has flat-bottom mags as well:
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/wa...wppk32frb-p-644.html

As to how it shoots, I get slide bite from it, but not so deep that it bleeds. Doesn't bother me in the least, and I used to shoot 100 rounds or so per session since I reload the tiny things.

Since yours sounds like it's been well-used, I wouldn't hesitate to take it out and have fun with it. If you're concerned with wear-and-tear, Wolff sells a recoil and firing pin spring set. It doesn't fit as nicely as the German springs, but I put it in and it works.

I'm keeping an eye out for a newer one myself. Preferably in 9mmK, but I'd take another 7.65mm in a heartbeat!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The gun was designed around that cartridge and it tends to work the best. I have a PP in .32 and it is accurate, reliable and not as much recoil as my .380PPK.

If I would have seen that gun before you did, it would have been gone.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it! Great price. I have a stainless Interarms PPK/S and a post recall blue S&W PPK both in 380 and are reliable. Been looking for one in 32 ACP which as mentioned the PPK was designed around. Geco 32 ammo works good in them.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a Walther PP in .32 and it works just fine. I don't shoot it very much, hell its been years, but its great fun when I do. They look FANTASTIC and are very well made.

Like was said, don't expect to run HP ammo (not sure why you would with .32 or .380 but I digress....do they even make HP .32ACP???) but other than that they seem to run great.

Go for it. Its a classic as fun to simply own as it is to shoot.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Speer, Fiocchi, PPU, and Federal make HP’s for the .32. The Speer Gold Dot is an excellent HP in 380.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Posts: 1053 | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will only be a historical piece. I already have many carry options.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Both of my PP's are in 7,65B. Great shooters.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it’s in 7.65, you’re good to go from a shooting standpoint.
Not sayin it’s the best choice for a self defense pistol, but definitely wins on the coolness side of things!

My humble Interarms version in stainless.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Nice little pocket pistol for when all else fails... its big draw is "sex in a holster"... but then every time I watch one of the original Bond films I keep thinking Connery must have small hands.
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the PPK .... have to hold it just right or you will get that slide rash.... grip needs to be a tad thicker. The same day I bought a PPK I bought a Sig P230..
. The Sig out shoots the Walther all day long.

But then both of what I have are .380s

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have one in .380 from the '60's. Fun gun, and I intend to be buried with it.

But I don't shoot it or carry it. There's just too many better options out there.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still on the fence. Pistol can’t be released until the 18th so I have some time to think about it.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If you decide you don't want it, would you let me know as to where it is?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GOTSIG
posted Hide Post
Bond effect alone is worth that price. With the rework means it’s a shooter so do that. Have fun with it. As it’s been noted on this thread the gun was meant for the caliber.

====================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." THOMAS
JEFFERSON

Posts: 889 | Location: Maine, U.S.A. | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
If it’s in 7.65, you’re good to go from a shooting standpoint.
Not sayin it’s the best choice for a self defense pistol, but definitely wins on the coolness side of things!

My humble Interarms version in stainless.

Bill R

I have one just like your PPK in .32ACP. I had the .380ACP in the past and feel the recoil was to much for a blowback of the PPK size, but the .32ACP is about perfect.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the "cool, Bond " look....I've never found one of these guns that didn't have an atrocious double action trigger pull. YMMV...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is there in 2 weeks it’s mine.

Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
I have a PPK 7.65 WW2 trophy/bring-back (with it's original German military leather flap holster) that my grandfather gave me in the late 80's. Surprisingly snappy recoil for a .32ACP, and sometimes slide slices friends with bigger hands. Like newtoSig765 said, its a little ammo (and mag) sensitive, as it doesn't reliably digest hollowpoints, but loves S&B and Fiocchi FMJ cartridges. The PPK also schooled me on .32ACP rim-lock. As an embarrassing side note: It was my car glovebox gun (along with it's original holster) for most of the 1990's (before I came to appreciate just how special it is), and it is the only gun that I ever had a negligent discharge with (the FMJ cartridge went through the back of a recliner, through two drywall walls, through a bathroom hollow-core door, and then through the outer and inner fiberglass layers of a bathtub. The report of the .32ACP inside my living room left my ears ringing for a good number of minutes. :0 My grandfather passed away in 2016 at the age of 94, and it wasn't until after he died that while going through his effects that I discovered that he had been awarded a Bronze Star while fighting in Europe. That PPK is now far and away my most treasured material possession.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Like I said, not my favorite but then James Bond sure made out pretty damn good with one:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post