SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First trip to the range with new P220 Elite SAO 10mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First trip to the range with new P220 Elite SAO 10mm Login/Join 
posted
Just returned from my local indoor range after shooting $30 worth of 10mm (one box!)through my new P220 SAO Elite. I started a thread a few days ago asking about anyones experience with this pistol.

One thing is for sure....you certainly aren't shooting a 9MM! Recoil is pretty stout and snappy, but the pistol soaked it up and the excellent G10 grips give you an excellent purchase on the pistol. Given that you are shooting such a powerful round the P220 actually shot fairly softly once I became accustomed to it.

Accuracy wise I did fairly well. Took me a bit longer than usual to get the sights dialed in. Very nice sight picture, by the way! Shooting from a rest, head shots on a 'bad guy' target at about 20 yards was fairly easy, but not as tight as with my P226RX SAO in 9mm. I think I have concluded that my PELT equipped P320s and SAO P226's, a Legion and the above mentioned RX have me spoiled. The trigger on the new P220 is pretty good, but a fair amount heavier than the others. I am sure it will smooth out with time, and I may also install a lighter mainspring, which I have done with the P226s, in the future.

Had three failures, but I believe they were all my fault. The first time the fresh round was trapped between the slide and barrel, the other two the empty ejected but the new round failed to feed. I am almost positive that upon recoil I dumped the mag Eek !! I had done that once before with my P226 Legion. Being conscious of my grip should take care of that in the future. One other observation: this thing slings brass!! There was a small area with several empties to my left and about 18 feet behind me where they bounced off the divider and hit a cabinet! Also, as I have seen in a few Youtube videos you can see where the empties are hitting the slide just above the extractor.

All in all I am happy with the new P220. Not sure I will ever shoot it as well as my SAO P226's but I am sure I can get proficient with it.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are happy with the new P220 10mm. I just bought one myself a couple weeks ago and have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I will be comparing it to my other 10mm which is an outstanding Dan Wesson Sportsman...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
I'm glad you are happy with the new P220 10mm. I just bought one myself a couple weeks ago and have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I will be comparing it to my other 10mm which is an outstanding Dan Wesson Sportsman...

Sounds great! That would be a pretty high wall to climb I would think. Let us know how it goes when you get to the range.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great gun!

As far as the recoil, yes, the P220 in 10mm is a bit more 'push' than let's say the P220 Match Elite in .45 ACP.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
$30 a box what on earth were you shooting?
I suggested Sigs fmj as a target load in your other thread.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shooting SIG Elite fmj. 10mm isn't exactly cheap Wink! Next cheapest I have run across costs $35/box of 50.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
I was shooting SIG Elite fmj. 10mm isn't exactly cheap Wink! Next cheapest I have run across costs $35/box of 50.

Great googly moogly!!!!!!!!!!
I pay $18 a box for Sig from my LGS and the S&B was $15.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Wish I lived near you!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Wish I lived near you!

The S&B is all over the internet currently for $15 a box plus shipping.
Again I have not used it though I did buy a bunch as all other S&B I have shot is great.

Looks like the Sig quantities are pretty low currently. Much have sold most of that run. Maybe we'll see it again en mass here soon depending upon what they loading schedule is.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Thank you. Will certainly check it out. Cabelas lists SIG Elite at $26/box. Haven't found much better than that up till now.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
One other observation: this thing slings brass!! There was a small area with several empties to my left and about 18 feet behind me where they bounced off the divider and hit a cabinet!

I have a nice spot in the desert only about 3 miles from our house. Great high berm (~15ft), which is the side of a tank (pond). And a nice flat open area for the brass to land, which makes it easy to recover. My first box of Underwood full power stuff, I couldn't even see the brass, at first, so I started walking, and finally found a nice fairly compact little pile. Out of curiosity, I paced it off coming back to my shooting spot: 50 ft. Shooting my handloads, which are about 190pf, they go about 15 ft+ (haven't actually paced those off). At a match, shooting inside of a pistol bay, they all go up the side slope of the side berm.

I love the gun. Shooting the Underwood stuff is absolutely no problem for it, and really more accurate than any range load I've used (factory or my own).

I agree with Black about the price of the SIG stuff (or most other brands). Use Ammo Seek and you can locate current online deals. I just checked, and Bud's has the SIG stuff for $23/50 rounds. It is good ammo and the brass is reloading very well.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definately a fun gun. I'm working on some more reloads for mine. I like the Underwood too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will check out Ammoseek and Buds fir ammo.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I just love me some 10mm!! To me it's a reloaders dream. Mild to wild, no problem! I've been playing with some "coated" hardcast and they hold up very well at some screaming fps without leading! WIN!! And much cheaper than copper pills!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the 10mm club with the two tone DA/SA version, which comes with night sights. Im looking forward to shooting. Would like to upgrade sights. Would sig be the place to go? Also, looking for recommendations for a leather shoulder rig for walking through the woods. Thanks!

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered 4 boxes of SIG Elite 10 fmj from Buds just now. Once you add in the shipping you are paying about $26/box, not much better than the cheapest price I have found (Cabelas has it for just under $27). I will have to try some of the S&B next. Much cheaper at $15/box plus shipping. It isn't loaded as hot as the SIG though, and I find that the SIG ammo I have shot has been top notch.

Has anyone had any experience with the S&B 10mm?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
Add me to the 10mm club with the two tone DA/SA version, which comes with night sights. Im looking forward to shooting. Would like to upgrade sights. Would sig be the place to go? Also, looking for recommendations for a leather shoulder rig for walking through the woods. Thanks!
When I lived in Alaska, I carried my .454 Casull in a chest holster. Easy access wearing a backpack, fishing in hip waders, rain coat, etc. To be fair, Alaska was an open carry state and OC is the way I carried hiking and fishing.

The chest holster was a Diamond D Custom Leather Guide's Choice, and the Sig P220 in 10mm is on their gun list. I've met the owner several times at gun shows in Alaska, and he was a very likeable guy.

This pic is of a 1911, but the Sig P220 will be a similar set-up.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by paulbriand:
When I lived in Alaska, I carried my .454 Casull in a chest holster. Easy access wearing a backpack, fishing in hip waders, rain coat, etc. To be fair, Alaska was an open carry state and OC is the way I carried hiking and fishing.

The chest holster was a Diamond D Custom Leather Guide's Choice, and the Sig P220 in 10mm is on their gun list. I've met the owner several times at gun shows in Alaska, and he was a very likeable guy.

This pic is of a 1911, but the Sig P220 will be a similar set-up.

That is a nice looking set-up!

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice looking and well made.

The first time I met the owner at a gun show, he was an Anchorage firefighter making holsters on his days off. He now has a store front in Wasilla and is retired from AFD.

Here I am with mine carrying my Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan:
free upload imagecertificity.com

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Nice looking and well made.

The first time I met the owner at a gun show, he was an Anchorage firefighter making holsters on his days off. He now has a store front in Wasilla and is retired from AFD.

Here I am with mine carrying my Ruger Redhawk Super Alaskan:
free upload imagecertificity.com

I am interested in this rig as I am considering using my P220 for deer hunting (believe it or not. I hunt in Michigan and hunt in fairly thick brush).

Question: are you able to change the actual holster while using the same straps? Also, can you add the mag carrier at some point after the initial purchase?

Thanks for posting this information!