SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226RX/P229R- New manufacture and Red Dot Durability.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226RX/P229R- New manufacture and Red Dot Durability. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I've messed around with red dot sights on pistols for the last little bit, but I haven't found one that screamed my name. On an impulse buy, I picked up this Legion RX. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday but got to put a couple of hundred rounds through it and got in some dry fire last night.

It is like freaking cheating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jljones,

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I take it that SIG got the whole oversprung thingy taken care of then, eh? Oh what will your P229 say? Wink

Congrats on your cheatin' ways.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think that the 226 9mms being oversprung is being misunderstood. It is a simple recoil spring change, nothing more to make it go away. Or deal with the muzzle dipping at the end of the gun going into battery. The P229 just doesn't have the problem with the factory spring.

SIG isn't worrying about the guns being over sprung because they want a mid range spring that won't wear out if someone shoots a lot of NATO or +P stuff. The aftermarket takes care of the rest for guys like me who are more interested in making the gun perform with standard velocity ammo.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congrats! Love those Legion SAOs!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Nice man. Fregging nice!

I love my SAO Legion. I’d love it even more with an RMR. I see where Sig is now selling the exchange kits for them now.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who have a legion without the RX, I purchased an RX p226 slide barrel kit and now can change between the great Legion night sights and the Rx slide in about 20 seconds. I am more accurate with the RX, aging eyes, but like the ability to shoot with open sights as well. Have about 3500 rounds through my Legion and still never had a failure or hiccup of any kind.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Congrats... from another recent convert to Sig's pistol red dot system (the whole older eyes thing again too).

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
How do you holster that?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
How do you holster that?

www.daraholsters.com has a whole line of optic-ready holsters. I have one for my car, but haven't installed it yet.

I love my P320 compact RX. It's a whole new world of shooting. The dot is just so much more accurate than the irons. Tons of fun!!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. Back from a 500 round session with the RX.

Some notes-

Much easier and faster than irons. I was on the fence about 10 yards and in stuff, but it is AS fast.
Distance is a no brainer. Ran a steel array at 25 while moving with no misses.
You only think you have good trigger control. The dot shows any little imperfection in trigger control.
You only think you have good follow through. The dot again doesn't lie.
You only think you process data with irons efficiently.
You only think you hold the gun steady.

I had a smaller female shooter with me who struggles at times with her issued Glock, but she ran the RX like a pro.

I am still learning, and I have a lot to learn, but hot damn this thing is fast.

www.opspectraining.com

ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 226RX in the photo appears to be DA/SA not an SAO, correct?

On the RX, I really wish I had not read this...It's gonna cost me.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 226RX in the photo appears to be DA/SA not an SAO, correct?

Mine is a DA/SA gun, cause I lubs the DA/SA. #DASAPOSSE

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
How do you holster that?

Right now, I am going with OWB competition and training only. I am going to order a Red Hill double kydex this afternoon for it.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drtenb330:
quote:

I was focusing on the straight trigger, and thus ignored the decocker!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:

My first thought too. Roll Eyes

$1400 on Gunbroker. Then about $150 or so for the Red Hill custom holster.

But I like the idea, above, of buying just the slide barrel kit and being able to swap them.

DavT, did you buy yours from Sig? jjones, any reason NOT to do it that way?

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You only think you have good trigger control. The dot shows any little imperfection in trigger control.
You only think you have good follow through. The dot again doesn't lie.
You only think you process data with irons efficiently.
You only think you hold the gun steady.

Yes all the above was very humbling LOL. It was a bit of a learning curve for me for fast paced, action style (IPSC, IDPA) competition use but feeling very comfortable with it now.

As for steady state paper punching accuracy, hard to beat a red dot! This is just my plinking grade handloads too...25 meters, seated, slow fire with the Romeo1 on a P320 X5

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I am trying to resist a 226/229 rx. I don't wanna shoot a red dot...I don't...but I think I'm gonna have to soonSmile Congrats on a great pistol and thanks for the write up. Would love to see some videosSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting an RX for almost 2 years now. I started with a P320F RX and I fell in love with it. I added a P226 SAO RX, and lastly I converted a P226 SSE with an RX Xchange kit from Sig. I have who knows how many rounds through the guns and they run like champs without any issues.

I took right to the romeo1 and shot it dead on since the first shot. I can stack my rounds out to 25 meters without any issues. I also have faster and more accurate follow up shots. I am sold on the RX line.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report: I went ahead and followed your very sage advice. I ordered the exchange kit to go atop my DA/SA Legion 226 (direct from Sig - used the discount from the 320 upgrade). I also love the DA/SA platform!

I run through a few hundred rounds per week, sometimes way more, and your description was just too much to resist.

Gotta keep some pace with the young shooters (or at least disorient them by showing up w/ the current improvements).

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The kit from Sig includes a 9mm barrel. Is there any way to buy just the RX slide with the mounted Romeo 1?