SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old School vs. New School - Gen 2 G19 vs. Gen 5 G19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School vs. New School - Gen 2 G19 vs. Gen 5 G19 Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I've had the chance to put my Gen 5 G19 through its paces, and compare it to my existing Gen 2 G19. I figured I'd post my thoughts.

Altogether, I think the Gen 5 is a great upgrade/replacement for the Gen 2. It does everything the Gen 2 does, plus more.

The big benefit to the Gen 2 and Gen 5 is the lack of finger grooves. I have large monkey paws. While the wider spacing of the grooves on the full-size and subcompact Glocks fit me, the tighter spacing of the grooves on the compact Glock crowds my fingers and makes shooting uncomfortable.

However, the Gen 5 has some additional benefits over the Gen 2:

1) Ability to accept rail-mounted lights/lasers. All my defensive firearms have lights on them... Except for my Gen 2 G19. I loved carrying it, but wanted the ability to add a light. The Gen 5 has solved that.

2) Improved grip texture. The Gen 4/5 grip texture is a huge improvement over the Gen 1/2/3 texture. I had to add grip tape and then a set of Talon Grips to my Gen 2 to make it usable, but even that wasn't ideal.

3) Adjustable grip sizes. Self-explanatory. It also now means that my G19 can match the feel of all my other Glocks, which are Gen 4s with adjustable backstraps.

4) Larger magazine release. The Gen 4/5 mag release is perfectly positioned for fast activation by my thumb. The Gen 1/2/3 worked, but was a bit slower.

5) Improved trigger pull. The internal workings of the Gen 5 trigger mechanism have been tweaked. I've fondled a number of Gen 5 G17s and G19s, and they all had trigger pulls on par with the best factory Gen 4 triggers I've tried before. They won't be the same as a high-end custom trigger, but the factory triggers seem to be better on average than previous generations. (The Gen 5 G19 also comes standard with a smooth trigger, so you no longer have to swap in a G17 trigger to get rid of the serrations.)

I've heard that the Gen 5s supposedly have less felt recoil and have the potential for greater accuracy, but I haven't noticed a difference during shooting. But I'm not a top-tier shooter, and I haven't shot the two generations side-by-side from a rest or the like, so others may be able to tell a difference in accuracy.

Altogether, I think the Gen 5 is going to completely replace my Gen 2, since it does everything the Gen 2 does, and then some. The Gen 2 will be relegated to being a "beater"/"knockaround" gun.

That said, there are a couple minor issues I had with the Gen 5, as follows:

A) The half-moon cutout in the front of the grip is unnecessary, and has caused a pinch on a couple occasions.

Yes, it's basically identical to the Gen 1/2. And yes, Pearce makes an replacement floorplate adapter that fills in the gap (part # PG-FML), which I have on all my G19 mags already. Without the adapter, the cutout on the Gen 2 and Gen 5 uncomfortably rubs my pinky when shooting.

But interestingly, possibly due to the slightly different dimensions of the Gen 5's flared magwell, I've pinched the skin of my pinky between the Pearce adapter and the Gen 5's cutout on a few occasions. It's only happened a couple times during drills, but I've never experienced that before with the Gen 2 which I've used heavily for years. (Maybe Pearce will come out with a slightly modified "Gen 5" version of their PG-FML adapter to correct that pinch, and more properly fill the Gen 5's cutout.)

B) I also ran into issues with the similar half-moon cutout at the back of the Gen 5 magwell. On a few occasions, I had the top rear of the magazine momentarily hang up on the rear cutout, introducing a slight hitch in my reload at speed. This rear cutout is present on every Glock, but in all my years of Glock shooting, I don't recall ever having a magazine get hung up on the rear cutout before. I think the different dimensions of the wider flared magwell has caused it to be more prominent.

I had never considered the grip plugs ("butt plugs") that fill this rear cutout and the space behind it to be necessary before, but I ended up installing one in my Gen 5 to create a smooth back wall and alleviate this slight hitch.

C) The ambidextrous slide lever feels "weird" to me. I get why they included it, as I've seen some of our left-handed officers struggle with locking the slide back on their earlier gen Glocks. But the new lever gets in the way when I have my trigger finger indexed on the side of the frame. This hasn't caused any actual functional issues, but it still bugs me. I think I'm just so used to the "feel" of my finger riding unimpeded alongside the earlier Glocks that this new addition makes my mind say "something's wrong here!" momentarily.

I fully expect that this is something that will go away when I continue to train more with the Gen 5, as I get used to the different feel. However, if someone were to come out with a replacement single-sided slide lever for the Gen 5s, I've strongly consider installing it, to bring it back in line with the feel of all my other Glocks (since I have no use for the ambi slide lever).

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I also have big monkey paws, and got pinched all the time with the gen 2s

The gen 5s don't pinch me at all....for whatever reason, I think it's the slight flare at the bottom that forms the magwell on the gen 5s

I have transitioned to all gen 5 guns

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One other thing I neglected to mention in the original post was that the addition of the ambi slide lever means that some holsters won't work properly with the Gen 5s. Nearly all of my G19 holsters are compatible, but there are a couple that don't play nice. The added width of the slide lever on the right side interferes.

For example, with a couple of my kydex holsters, I have to shove the Gen 5 extra hard for the final inch or so of insertion, because the side of the kydex holster body rubs against the extra slide lever. This also adds excess tension to the draw.

Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying. And it's not an issue on most of my holsters, which are cut low enough on the right side that the extra slide lever doesn't interfere.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I also have big monkey paws, and got pinched all the time with the gen 2s

The gen 5s don't pinch me at all....for whatever reason, I think it's the slight flare at the bottom that forms the magwell on the gen 5s

I have transitioned to all gen 5 guns

My pinky finger is getting pinched between the top of the front bulge of the Pearce adapter and the top of the front half-moon cutout in the grip, right at the apex of the curve. This is above where the magazine flares out, so that won't help.

In fact, I think the flared magwell alters the geometry of my grip slightly, putting the pinky in the right spot to get pinched. As stated, it has never happened on the Gen 2.

Still, if the choice is between definitely irritating my pinky finger every time I fire with no Pearce adapters, versus possibly pinching my pinky during the occasional reload with the Pearce adapters, I'll stick to using the Pearce adapters. (At least until a better solution is available.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the gen 5 without the adapter on the magazine?

I think I see the answer to this, but just wanted to check. I never used the adapters with the gen 2 and got pinched all the time. And I haven't tried them with the gen 5 at all

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes:

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Without the adapter, the cutout on the Gen 2 and Gen 5 uncomfortably rubs my pinky when shooting.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
if the choice is between definitely irritating my pinky finger every time I fire with no Pearce adapters, versus possibly pinching my pinky during the occasional reload with the Pearce adapters, I'll stick to using the Pearce adapters. (At least until a better solution is available.)

posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 5 G19 and I like it and I think it is a decent pistol, but in reality *for me* when shooting it, it is no more reliable or accurate than my Gen 4 G19 was. YMMV, but to me Glock just changed a bunch of personal preferances things about the Gen 5 pistols. According to Glock the Gen 5 pistols are *supposed* to be a *little* more accurate and reliable. Well, people will just have to decide if that is true or a bunch of marketing talk, and then decide if they want to get a new Gen 5 pistol and pay for the *little* extra it may provide.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I agree that, as long as the finger grooves work for you, there's not much difference between the Gen 4 and Gen 5 G19. I certainly wouldn't ditch a Gen 4 for a Gen 5. (My G17s are Gen 4s, and I have no plans to get a Gen 5.) The first four major benefits I listed for the Gen 5 also apply to the Gen 4, after all.

But for folks like me whose hands are too large for the finger grooves on a Gen 4 G19, thus ruling that out, then the Gen 5 is a big improvement over the Gen 2 in several important ways. (Much like the Gen 4 was a big improvement over the Gen 3 in many of the same ways.)

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the comparison. It is very useful as I am getting ready to help someone buy either a 17 or a 19. I have been wondering about the changes.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I was less impressed with my g5 19 on first shooting than I am now, if that makes any sense.

When I first tried it, I thought: meh, it's a little better than the gen4. I like the grooves being gone.

About 300 rounds in, I'm convinced it's actually better than the gen4. The trigger itself is better, and I tend to think this leads to people's claims of better accuracy.

And the combo of the reduced gen 4 style grip - with no snap-ons - and the finger grooves being gone, makes it a better fit for me. Better even than the original gen 2.

Personally, I appreciate Glock's approach of less is more; taking small swings at issues, gradually improving the beast. Much better than big drastic changes that might eliminate the good with the bad.

I don't have any stats, but I would guess the G19 was probably in the top 10 best selling handguns in the world. Do we really expect them to make dramatic sweeping changes to such a successful platform? I know I wouldn't if it was my company.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted double post

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been an avid anti-Glock fan for years...decades. Grip angle never was right it forced my wrist down and was pretty uncomfortable. Found about P80 and their 1911 grip angle and gave a full size gen2 frame a try. Built a great shooting gun. Went to a fun store and tried Glock 19 one more time.

Gen3, forced my wrist down. Gen4, better but the finger grooves pushed my grip to far up. Gen5, just right. The palm swell does not come out near as far as the Gen 3 and that is what forced my grip down. Picked up a Gen5 last week and had a set of Trigi HD XRs on it 5 min out of the box. I am not looking back

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
Picked up a Gen5 last week and had a set of Trigi HD XRs on it 5 min out of the box. I am not looking back

I have said the same thing to myself many times about self defense pistols as I walked out of the gunshops or gunshows over the years, probably over twenty times. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I tried the Gen 5 Glock 19 and 17 and really liked them both. However I found that for me the Gen 5 Glock 19 does not do anything that my Gen 2 Glock 19 already does and I find the trigger on my factory stock Gen 2 Glock 19 to be at least as nice as the triggers on the Gen 5s I tried.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a G19-5 and am falling head over heels for it. I only have 200 rounds through it, but those have been completely flawless. I shoot it much more accurately than my G23-3. It will be my #1 choice for CCW after about 500 rounds.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that a lot of people don't understand that the gen 5 is not a new generation Glock but the civilian version of the G17/19M with the FBI modifications. When the FBI model was announced everyone said Hoppefully Glock will send this model to the civilian market. The FBI dont autorized Glock to sell those new models with the M designation, so Glock called it the gen 5.
And now some people complain about the fact that it's not a real new gen etc...

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Thank you for the comparison. It is very useful as I am getting ready to help someone buy either a 17 or a 19. I have been wondering about the changes.

Yes - I agree - thanks !

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I put a Pierce PG-FLM adapter on one of the Gen 5 mags but didn't like the way it extended forward so I dremeled it a bit to make it more in line with the face of the grip. I did a quick and dirty job of that, but it does work a lot better for me. I've ordered a few more and I'll take a bit more time on these. Maybe Peirce or someone else will come out with one specifically for the Gen 5.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One additional thing that I just discovered about the Gen 5 Glocks: Their rails now have a standard 1913-spec groove width.

Previously, the horizontal groove in the Glock rail was a bit thinner than 1913-spec, requiring a dedicated Glock-sized crossbar key for lights like the Streamlight TLR-1. (You could use a light with Glock key on a 1913 rail, but it would have some front/back play; a light with 1913 key won't work on a Glock rail since the crossbar is just a bit too wide.)

The Gen 5 can use standard 1913-sized keys. I can now take a TLR-1 directly off my P320 and put it on my Gen 5.

quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I put a Pierce PG-FLM adapter on one of the Gen 5 mags but didn't like the way it extended forward so I dremeled it a bit to make it more in line with the face of the grip.

Looks great.

I'm not sure why Pearce chose to make their baseplate adapters protrude out the front, but I've gotten used to it after using them with my Gen 2 for so long.

However, if they made one that fit flush like yours, I'd buy it.