SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, it's really screwed up because it is the opposite of my personality...but I had to vote because Navy SEALs use the P226.

I got a contracting gig in Iraq with a company founded by former SEALs....so naturally they issued us the P226. They also taught me good DA trigger management. I practiced with that thing (mostly lots of dry fire) the whole time I was there and really grew to like it. When I got home, I was trained up on the P226, had holsters and mag pouches for it...so I found a hardly used (perhaps never fired ) W. German 226 for either $500 or $550 and never looked back!

Before, I "thought" I didn't like DA/SA, bought into the whole Cooper "solution in search of a problem" line. Now after the overseas gig, OPSPEC "Practical Fundamentals" course, GGI action job, and Gunsite 250 (and others)....I love DA/SA, it is my favorite action type.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I picked reputation but it was more like luck.

I was at a local gun show when I came across a guy setting up his table. He opened up a Sig box and in it was a NIB P245. Up till then I never gave Sigs a thought. At the time I was primarily a 1911 and revolver guy. The only semi-auto I owned outside of the 1911's was a S&W Model 41 .22 that I shot the heck out of.

Anyway, he let me handle it and he showed me how the de-cocker worked and I was sold. That gun fit my hand like I was born with it. I've got 7 Sigs now and none of them are for sale.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I got into handguns in the early 1990's. Life intervened and I didn't start shooting again until 2014.

When I first got into handguns, Sig was one of the "high end" brands and beyond my means. When I re-entered the sport a Sig was within my reach financially so a P220 joined the arsenal. A few additional Sig's have joined since then.

Reputation was a strong contender but reliability gets my vote. Every Sig I own was cleaned and lubed before I fired it. Every Sig I own was 100% reliable out of the box, new or used.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I sold some high end guitar equipment last summer so I decided to treat myself with a top shelf pistol with the money I had left over.
I wanted a .45 but not a 1911, a metal gun but not too heavy, a solid and proven platform but also unique.
When the Legion P220 was announced it was like a sign from above. Smile

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NextGhost
posted Hide Post
I put reliability because you did not have a box for "it was what I was issued". After going through FLETC with the P228 and being issued a (few) M11s that pretty much always ran, I started down the path of SIG addiction.

However, now being able to carry whatever the hell I want and recent issues (my P320s and my MPX) have caused me to seriously consider building a shadow box for my P228 and selling the rest off to create safe room for other guns. I'm finding that I REALLY like the G19.5.

Posts: 159 | Location: Not where I should be | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
Still a favorite but the new ones are no match to the quality of the German built pistols and far from the Mastershop pistols.

Overall the SIG SAUER pistols performance is hard to beat.

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I own one because I've sold off the others I used to own...

SiG's no longer appeal to me, frankly...

No question that they are indeed accurate as hell...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
My first Sig purchase, P225, was some years ago based mostly on reputation.

The evening I purchased the gun the store also had a P226 and a P220 9mm in stock.

Tough decision. I went with the P225 for 2 reasons. If I ever got a conceal carry permit This would be a good choice and the pistol fit my hand like it was made for it.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Sacramento; I had read that the Sacto PD (IIRC) had chosen the Sig P226 in an article in the Sacto Bee. An internet search led me to SigForum; at that time Bruce Gray was just starting classes in the Sacramento area. Just plain dumb luck, I guess.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that I have a use for SIG products at the moment. I like them ... have owned dozens but don't own any right now. I do not require a service weapon as I am not LE or Military. I shoot various types of matches where SIG is never the dominant manufacturer. I CC of course but I don't think SIG makes the right piece for that market just yet. I voted reputation ... it is well deserved but has taken a hit recently with notable issues. I will buy a P320 X5 when they FINALLY release the ten round version (I live in a crappy northeast state). Oh ... and I loved my older X-5s but they were too heavy for competition.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Aesthetics.

My first Sig was a P232, because it was about the prettiest thing I had ever seen. It reminded me of a Swiss watch, in .380 ACP.

My next Sig was a P239 SAS v1. I had rented one, and shot the DAK very well, but felt it was too expensive. Then Sig stopped production, and my gun shop got one of the last ones made in stock. It was the most beautiful pistol I had ever seen. Price seemed reasonable for what I was getting.

Of course, reputation, reliability and accuracy were factors. But I am a fairly poor man. I could never afford the finest yacht, car, home or horse. But I could afford to own some of the finest pistols ever made. Thanks Sig!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whtwolf14
posted Hide Post
Reputation at first. Ended up eventually getting rid of them all in favor of other pistols. I'm issued a 229R DAK (never a fan of the trigger...just me). I'll buy it when we go to another platform (Glock or Sig 320 is the word on the street). I'll convert it to a DA/SA in 9mm and probably love it then.

Posts: 4281 | Location: Mountains....lots of Mountains.... | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I purchased two p229’s in 9mm .
I sold one and began prepping the other for concealed carry. About 2000 rounds in I went up to my range to practice and the second shot sent the slide off the front of the pistol. After a heated discussion with sig they agreed to fix it after which I sold it.I have just recently purchased a P225-A1. Haven’t had time to go up the hill to my range but am looking forward to this weekend to give it a run.

Posts: 32 | Registered: January 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post