SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I voted for Reputation. I would have liked to include Reliability, accuracy,Aesthetics, Weight, and recoil Reduction.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

Being labeled the Tupperware guy in my family, I was goaded into buying my first one by my brother. I found that it was enjoyable to shoot, and the slippery slope was henceforth established.

But I'm still a Glock guy first and foremost.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Because they are the people who made the P220 and 225.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
Reputation.

I was a very young 23 year old LEO in 1994, and my only real exposure to handguns had been through magazines, especially Sig Sauer fan Massad Ayoob. Sig Sauer handguns were (and are) so respected. The brand just always commanded my attention based on what I read.

One day, I walked into a local lock and key store and there was a Sig Sauer sitting in the used gun case. It was such a famous handgun, the equivalent of a Porsche automobile, that I just couldn't believe it was real. I can still remember that feeling. I asked to look at it. The first thing I saw on it were the words, "P220" on the slide and ".45 Auto" on the barrel hood. I remember exclaiming, "This is a P220 .45 and not a P226 9mm?" It was if I'd found Excalibur. That thing was mint. It cost me $650 in 1994 for that spurred hammer West German, but it was worth every penny of my $20K a year salary. I used to just pick it up and look at at. I couldn't believe it was mine.

Sounds like my experience, but mine was a KF P220 / 45, new but still marked Made in W. Germany. I think I paid $700 or so for it.

Was thinking the same thing. 22 in 94. Starting my LE career. Had significant rifle experience at that point, but no real handgun experience. Most cops in the area carried Beretta's, Ruger's or Smith's, but the SWAT guys and a few other's that I looked up to carried the Sig's. That made my choice easy when I went looking for my first duty pistol. Still have it. Nickel slide P226 that cost me $799! In todays money, it makes current Sigs look cheap! Thousands of reliable rounds down range, saved my rear end a few times and it'll likely be the last to go. I've acquired many Sigs since then, but that one will always be my favorite.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Reputation for reliability and accuracy.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t vote because there wasn’t a “prefer DA/SA hammer fired pistols” option. I am a Beretta and Sig owner because the 92 and P22X series of pistols provide me with my preferred fire system.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reputation matters when researching what gun to buy. I not really care for external reputation when owning a gun - it either works or it doesn’t.

Since other users will likely have different needs and wants when it comes to a pistol (I’m not a SEAL), I don’t really care for their pistol affiliation, either.

After all is said and done, I have one P320 because I believe in the modular concept (even if I find SIG’s implementation lacking in ways that matter to me), and one P239 because I like how the decocker operates. The P320 is a bit wide for carry and the P239 is heavy and poorly sized compared to my idea of a carry pistol. So both are range toys that I keep for different reasons, neither of which are espoused in the poll.

I think I will replace the P239 with a P229. Since I didn’t like the hump of the last P229 I had, I’ll have to look more seriously into aftermarket grip options. The G.10 style grips I have on my current P239 abate a lot of the issues I have with the pistol.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a CPO 229 from a gunshow for 450.00 back in 2009, at the time I didnt know much at all about Sigs, I just liked the feel and the price was right. I ended up with a few more here and there over the years.

I keep them and I enjoy shooting them at the range but to be honest, they never became my EDC or go-to guns, I just enjoy the quality of them overall and like I said, I enjoy taking them to the range.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Because they offer their pistols in a rainbow finish.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
None of the above. Why I shoot, and recommend SIG pistols was actually dumb luck in 1994. I was getting ready to join a small LE agency (10 worker bees) who didn't issue anything other than a badge and car. So, I went shopping for a sidearm. All I had at the time was a Beretta 92F and a Smith 66. I wasn't crazy about the 92F because of the safety, and didn't want a wheel gun. So, I went shopping. I wound up through it all picking a 226/9. To this day, the pistol that I could rule the world with is a 226/9.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I voted reputation but I have my Sigs because they're right sexy I tell youuuu! Big Grin

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I bought my first SIG, an X5 Comp, because it was the only 9mm target pistol I could find that was on the CA roster.

My second SIG is a P238, the best .380 available, IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Reputation for reliability and accuracy.

My thoughts, exactly.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My P228 is only the second pistol I'd ever owned. At the time I was shopping for a 9mm small enough to carry and large enough to enjoy at the range. It came down to a used P228 in great shape with two preban 13rd mags or a new G19 with neutered mags. For a bunch of reasons I chose the 228 and have never regretted it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voted for "accuracy".
But could have voted for "ease of use" if that had been an option.

My first semi-auto was a P250c in 9mm.
As a revolver guy I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot the P250 accurately.
Fell in love with that pistol and started down the slippery/expensive slope of SIG ownership.

Then added a P239 and started learning the DA/SA trigger.

Now have an M11A1 as well, which is now my primary carry gun.

Now that I have several SIG's I could have checked EVERY option on the poll . . .
Reputation? Yep.
Reliability? Yep.
Accuracy? Yep.
Weight? Yep.
Aesthetics? Oh God yes! Such gorgeous sexy machines!

And as someone else mentioned, the manual of arms with the DA/SA trigger and decocker.
It's very comforting and satisfying to know your gun so well that it's operation is automatic, completely reliable, and almost flawless.
It's a very spiritual Zen kind of thing.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I acquired a Sig based upon Reputation impressed upon me 60 years ago in the outdoor, sporting, and gun magazines of my youth. So last year I purchased a P226 Combat. I have not shot it enough to form an opinion of this gun yet, but i have not experienced any negatives. I have a very positive impression so far.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
SIGSauer is building the most verstatile pistols in the service pistol segment.
SIGSauer has the best barrel lock up of all.
Well designed impact area for the tilting barrel.
Excellent manufacturing where it really needed.
Pistol grips are well fomed for one hand shooting.
The SA trigger is a bit heavy for 50m shooting but decent for 25m rapidfire targets.
They operate well within the full bandwith of CIP spec ammo.
Have excellent dry cycling capablities in cold temperatures.
Are well protected from mud.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I didn’t vote but I bought my first P229 cause I was looking for something different than my Compact Firestar. It was cool that it was a cop gun, but that wasn’t why I bought it.

Then I came here and an addiction started after getting a 2022.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My first Sig was my P-228 I just really like this gun. I have owed many others but the P-228 is still my favorite. I'm trying to work a P-320RX (old eyes) into my carry gun but I'm still not 100% sold, I just need to run a lot more ammo till I'm comfortable. I think my next Sig will be the new P-210. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
My first one was due to the fact I was looking for an H&K and this real deal came up on the P229. Second it was a Duo-tone which I am a sucker for and third it is hammer fired and NOT striker. The seller had an option available but not really available 40 or 357 Sig and his son wanted the 357 Sig so I took the 40 S&W and have been very happy with it. It was a CPO and I had heard rumors that the 229 was what was being use by the secret service at the time so I thought good enough to protect the POTUS then good enough for me

A few years later I found the 357 Sig barrel available in the classified's from one of the members and so now I have both flavors and am currently using it as a 357 Sig. By the by I didn't vote.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post