SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
Reputation.

I was a very young 23 year old LEO in 1994, and my only real exposure to handguns had been through magazines, especially Sig Sauer fan Massad Ayoob. Sig Sauer handguns were (and are) so respected. The brand just always commanded my attention based on what I read.

One day, I walked into a local lock and key store and there was a Sig Sauer sitting in the used gun case. It was such a famous handgun, the equivalent of a Porsche automobile, that I just couldn't believe it was real. I can still remember that feeling. I asked to look at it. The first thing I saw on it were the words, "P220" on the slide and ".45 Auto" on the barrel hood. I remember exclaiming, "This is a P220 .45 and not a P226 9mm?" It was if I'd found Excalibur. That thing was mint. It cost me $650 in 1994 for that spurred hammer West German, but it was worth every penny of my $20K a year salary. I used to just pick it up and look at at. I couldn't believe it was mine.

Sounds like my experience, but mine was a KF P220 / 45, new but still marked Made in W. Germany. I think I paid $700 or so for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their reputation was a big factor for me, but I just prefer metal/steel guns and how much smoother they shoot. My first Sig was a 226/9 and I now have two of them, along with two M11’s and a SS frame 220/45.
They run perfectly, they look great, they shoot great, my wife loves them and shoots them very well...what’s not to like??

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
We all buy handguns for different reasons but why do we spend sometimes double the price for a heavy steel gun?

Steel??

Other than a few all stainless models, the Classic P series have aluminum frames.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Reputation. I was looking for a single stack 9mm. Found a P225 here in the classifieds and was hooked.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Sig is 1988 in a Rod and Gun Club in Augsburg, Germany. That first Sig was bought based on reputation. The German Polizei was carrying P6s back in those days. $325 for a brand new in box P220 in 9mm.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
Quality.
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Manual of arms (decocker)

+1

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first Semi-Auto pistol was a Browning BDA in 45acp. My second was when I stopped by a local GS & the he pulled out a nickel slide P228 in a gray box & showed it to me. The third was a P229 in 357Sig. Except for a few Glocks bought & sold, the Signess only increased.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Because they fit my hand. I like the way they feel. I like hammer fired pistols.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Because a P6 for less than $300 (incl shipping & FFL transfer fees) was too good of a deal to pass up. Glad I did it. I almost always use it for summer carry.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of those choices apply.

I shot my first sig, never having seen or handled one, when I hired into a department that used the P220. At that time, I'd been carrying a Beretta. Sig and Beretta have the best double action triggers out of the box in production pistols, in my opinion.

I bought my first P229 when making application to an agency that used the 229, and not content with one, bought two. I don't work for that agency, but I do have several P229's now.

I ended up with P226's, 2340's, and P320's. If I'm interested in or curious about a firearm, I'll often buy it to try it; I seldom sell them, so they accumulate. The Sigs have proven reliable and well made. I purchased about ten of them this year, including a recent P239 buy in .357 sig.

Presently I carry a Glock. I'm unlikely to get rid of the Sigs, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
357 Sig

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Reliability was my choice. My federal agency carried and still does carry the p228 all over the world. My former civilian agency carried the p226 40 cal. for 17 years until they traded them in for the 9mm p320. By all accounts those guns have been absolutely reliable, as have the many Sigs I own personally.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Sig based on reputation and the way it felt in my hand.

Now that I have 9 years of experience with Sig I recommend Sig for their reliability.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had read about Sig Sauer in numerous magazines for years but never bought one. A friend of mine had a Sig P226 and a P239, and I shot numerous rounds threw them and was impressed. I traded in a brand new CZ-75 compact that I was having tons of problems with for a brand new P228.

Fast forward to the fall of 2004, when I switched Depts and got issued a very rough P229 in .40. After a few hundreds rounds during qualification and training courses, the love affair began and my collection started growing.

The P229 in .40 is still my all time favorite, but the P229 in 357sig is starting to win me over.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just kind of happened into Sig so the choices kind of apply.
First pistol I owned was a revolver and that quite a while ago. First semi auto was a Ruger P90/95?
I then jumped around to various manufacturers and a few I really liked. First Sig I bought was a 250 and I was hooked from there.
I will admit that it's not the pistol I shoot the best, that goes to Springfield Armory but they fit extremely well in my hand and still accurate enough for me that it's close to Springfield.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Definitely because Navy SEALS.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Fit.

Have tried multiple brands & Sigs just fit better for me.

My dad bought a P239 in 1996 & was one of the first centerfire pistols I had experience with.

Had an outing with my wife's former boss, who brought out his P220ST, USP45, XD45 & a couple FN 9s. The Sig was the most 'naturally' accurate for me.
Same with my friend's wife's G19, just doesn't point naturally for me.

Bought my P320 & have been perfectly happy with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Manual of arms (decocker)

This is mostly it for me.

I wanted superior quality. No manual safety but something I felt completely safe with.

My search led me to the 228, and this forum.

These days when I carry a Sig it is a 229 9.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I voted reliability but reputation and accuracy count too.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impossible to answer with a single option to choose. Accuracy, reliability, aesthetics, recoil management, and manual of arms all enter into it.

I assume we are talking about classic P-series, all-metal pistols here, because I also own two P320s. I like the classic look of the P-series pistols. I tend to favor DA/SA, hammer-fired, all-metal pistols and I like Berettas and SIGs. The CZs I have had a chance to shoot had mediocre DA triggers. Maybe just luck of the draw since they have a wide following.

Although I like Beretta DA/SA pistols, I think the P-series SIGs have a bit better trigger action and I prefer the frame mounted decocker lever location.

I really don't give a damn who else uses my choice of pistol.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post