SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do You Own A SIG Sauer? Login/Join 
posted
We all buy handguns for different reasons but why do we spend sometimes double the price for a heavy steel gun? Now that the highly popular 320 is available the price has been reduced.

Question:
The reason I bought a SIG is:

Choices:
Accuracy
Aesthetics
Weight of Steel Pistol When Shooting
Navy Seals Used 226
Police Use Them
Recoil Reduction
I Hate HK's & Glock's

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I answered "reputation". In 1990, my FFL dealer talked me out of an HK P9S .45 auto and into a SIG Sauer P220. He claimed the SIG was better suited for hollow point ammunition. Perhaps I should have answered "reliability". Either way, I own/have owned dozens of P-Series SIG pistols over the years in various shapes, sizes and calibers. They're still my hands down favorite pistol.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I voted reputation, but the real reason is, it's what my parents had. P230 was first non rimfire pistol I ever shot, fell in love with them at that point. All my centerfire pistols are SIGs.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
For me, it would be "experience". The first gun that I shot that really felt perfect for me was an original M11. When I got out of the military and went shopping, I considered SIG and HK as my preferred guns. I like the SIG better, and got a better deal, so my first carry pistol was a SIG 229. Since that, I have bought a 228, 2022 and 938. It's quite possible that I will get a 220ST this weekend if my dealer still has a bunch of police trade ins.

I own a Springfield 1911 and would happily own an HK, Smith, Springfield, Ruger, Colt, CZ or any number of other pistols. But I am dedicated to the DA/SA platform, or SA/cocked and locked for a variety of reasons of my own, and am not interested in striker guns for carry purposes.

My experience with SIG has been universally good as is their reputation, so I guess "reputation" would be second.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I voted reputation, but the real reason I have so many SIG's is I bought a 1994 vintage 220, and then I wanted every model. love my SIG's, never owned a Glock, and never will!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 5 Sigs, three 9mm's and a pair of .45 ACP's. The first was a P226 Mk25 was purchased to allow me to train with a DA/SA trigger system; something I'd never worked with in 50+ years of short gun shooting/competing. The P226 is a wonderful handgun, accurate, absolutely reliable (I've never had a malfunction), and about as weather proof as is humanly possible.

I found that while the transition from DA on the first shot to SA for subsequent shots could be learned, it was a PITA as Jeff Cooper professed. I've mastered it to my satisfaction now, at least as far as I'm willing to take it, and do carry a Sig concealed often, I realize that for me, it slows the first shot, and I end up with two distinct groups. At combat distances out to 10+ yds. it's not significant.

All of that said, I've found that no other manufacturer offers the quality that is the hallmark of Sig's pistols. It's that simple. And, competition aside, they make a superb CC weapon.

YMMV and probably does, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted reputation but the real reason was I read an article back when the Secret Service was using the 228 and after buying one I fell in love with the brand.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote. My first two were issued to me. Just seemed to make sense to continue from there.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Reliability my Sigs run and run 226’s and 228’s some have 15k through them over 20 Years no problems with decent maintenance.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
At the time, early 90's Sigs were more expensive than others, so I did not really consider one. Then I shot a friends P-220 and could not believe how well I shot it, compared to my G-21. The rest, well, the rest is history.

I do shoot the P-220 platform very well.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tie between reliability and reputation. I have a 30+ year old 225 that works like new.
And a 20+ year old 220 too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sort of lucked into it. I wanted something as close to a 1911 as possible but that fit my department's rules that prohibited SAO. The P220 was the closest thing I found that I liked the feel of.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I voted reputation.
At the time, I didn't know much about guns, and was in the market for my first handgun. My uncle had a p226. I figured since my uncle only buys quality guns, that I look into a SIG as my first handgun, and went and purchased a used p220.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought one because they make them. Big Grin
I bought one because I'd never owned one.

It was part of my goal to own "one of each".
Over the years though I've added "at one time or another" to that.

I've owned six, I no longer own any.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said reliability because as said before, experience is the real reason. But I guess it's the reliable, accurate, comfortable, customizable, experience that has made me go back for more.

Maybe it's easier to say reasons that don't matter: looks, who uses them, and to an extent reputation.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reputation.

I was a very young 23 year old LEO in 1994, and my only real exposure to handguns had been through magazines, especially Sig Sauer fan Massad Ayoob. Sig Sauer handguns were (and are) so respected. The brand just always commanded my attention based on what I read.

One day, I walked into a local lock and key store and there was a Sig Sauer sitting in the used gun case. It was such a famous handgun, the equivalent of a Porsche automobile, that I just couldn't believe it was real. I can still remember that feeling. I asked to look at it. The first thing I saw on it were the words, "P220" on the slide and ".45 Auto" on the barrel hood. I remember exclaiming, "This is a P220 .45 and not a P226 9mm?" It was if I'd found Excalibur. That thing was mint. It cost me $650 in 1994 for that spurred hammer West German, but it was worth every penny of my $20K a year salary. I used to just pick it up and look at at. I couldn't believe it was mine.

That gun more than lived up to its Sig Sauer reputation. That P220 is why I still love the brand.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Because My Mosquito is too big a piece of crap for me to sell it with a clear conscience.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
First gun I ever shot was my uncles duty p220 west german..I was hooked.. I got it after his passing and CCR brought it back to life after seeing a lot of years in the holster/weather of Seattle.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Manual of arms (decocker)

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Granted, I was buying it on the mid-90s reputation when I bought my German made P220 / 45.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post