SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can an aluminum alloy frame be welded?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can an aluminum alloy frame be welded? Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted
I've got a somewhat rare S&W Recon 40 pistol that has a cracked rail right by the slide stop hole.
Can that be welded and the rail re-milled by a competent gunsmith, or is this now a parts gun?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It could be rewelded, but the anodize would have to be stripped and reapplied. The area you mention is a stress point, the weld will introduce new stress, a repair like this will typically not ever look unaltered. Especially with remachining the rail, which sounds like it might happen.

It's possible, but not probable. Additionally, not sure that the expense will be worth the result, and any value of the gun would be gone anyway.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Arc.

That's pretty much what I thought; I wanted to see if I was mistaken.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the real performance center was still around if S&W would help you out? Do we be pistol show hard use otherwise?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The limit is the hardness of the weld repair, just for starters. There isn't really a good way out.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
As far as S&W goes the gun will be deemed unrepairable most likely. I just went through this with a PC4563CQB, cracked rail back through the lug. Their response and follow through was outstanding but they couldn’t repair the gun.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Are they 7075? If yes then you can’t weld.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I've got a somewhat rare S&W Recon 40 pistol that has a cracked rail right by the slide stop hole.
Can that be welded and the rail re-milled by a competent gunsmith, or is this now a parts gun?

Send it to S+W. I believe the gun should have a lifetime warranty from S+W. Usually S+W also sends a prepaid fedex shipping label as well. Call them and ask.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Send it to S+W. I believe the gun should have a lifetime warranty from S+W. Usually S+W also sends a prepaid fedex shipping label as well. Call them and ask.

I've read on multiple forums that S&W no longer supports the metal framed guns (1st,2nd and 3rd gen). Never hurts to call though. I have heard that depending on the issue they might "replace" it with an M&P.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I called S&W on a cracked 3913. They said it was dead, no fixing it.

and "lifetime warranties" are usually limited.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’d give S&W a chance. Go through the email, on the phone I kinda got the pass the buck treatment. Via email they followed up with a shipping label and sent the gun in. They could not repair the gun but they did replace it. And not with an M&P.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
I called S&W on a cracked 3913. They said it was dead, no fixing it.

and "lifetime warranties" are usually limited.

Like the guy who took in a failed product and was told it would not be fixed or replaced.
He said "But it has a lifetime warranty."
Clerk said "Obviously its lifetime is over."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'll try contacting S&W, but I don't have much hope with that.
I have also heard of numerous people trying to get metal frame pistols repaired only to be told that they don't service them any longer. On top of that, I'm not the original owner, and I believe that one of the stipulations of the "limited" lifetime warranty limits it to the original owner.

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Email sent.
Thanks.

I'll contact S&W and see what they say.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

You have e-mail, sent to the address in your profile.

Posts: 41 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: August 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post