SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why the 10mm resurgence?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the 10mm resurgence? Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I really like the versatility of the 10mm and own 4 handguns that are 10mm. I'm still surprised at the new offerings in both pistols and revolvers for the caliber. Why do you think its making new inroads? 10 years ago it was fading and now.....
Does this mean my 38 Super guns will also become popular again?

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Revolvers are fading, 10MM is about as stout you can get in a reasonable stock semi auto.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just gave away one of my 10mm's (G29). Great cartridge.

For me, the 10mm represents low-end .41 magnum in an autoloader, so a good woods pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some shooters feel the need for "more"
some shooters feel the need for "better"
some just need "different"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting and hand loading the 10MM Auto cartridge since 1990 and the 10MM Magnum cartridge for perhaps a decade now.

Off the top of my head, I can't give you a count on how many I own.

The most recent is a Smith and Wesson CS40 that was converted over to 10MM Auto. I wanted one in each finish Smile

A 24 ounce pocketable 10MM Auto pistol Eek

quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
I really like the versatility of the 10mm and own 4 handguns that are 10mm. I'm still surprised at the new offerings in both pistols and revolvers for the caliber. Why do you think its making new inroads?

It just takes some folks longer to realize a good thing when they see it Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
It seems to be the most well balanced "greater than 9mm" cartridge, IMO. Better magazine capacity than .45, more powerful than .40 and .357 SIG (and .45 for that matter). Whether you need the power is irrelevant for most gun folks. Kind of like asking a car guy how much horsepower is too much.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Glock 29 for me is the perfect wood / backpacking defense handgun. It's small enough to be out of the way until needed and then kaboom. Don't roam where Grizzles reside so it has the power to deal with any 4 legged or 2 legged trouble that come after me.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Resurgence? You mean it faded?Smile

I’ve always liked it. Mainly because it was different.

I don’t think it is as versatile as 357 magnum in a revolver simply because semi-auto reliability is subject to limitations caused by slide speed, spring rates, etc. whereas a revolver is largely not hindered by such, but it is still a cartridge with a broad spectrum of possibilities.

I have GLOCKs (G20 and G40) and a couple of 1911 offerings in 10mm; A Ruger and a Rock Island Armory.
So far they have all been reliable with a wide range of ammo.
I have a 40SW conversion barrel for the G20 and it is a very soft shooter with that caliber.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I had noticed any fading around here. My 10mms an .38s see plenty of action. Glocks, 1911s, P220s, etc... seem to empty them out just fine.

FWIW, I have a P220 in 45 ACP somewhere...

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
I’ll be picking up my S&W M610 next week. Then send the cylinder off to Pinnacle for an “upgrade” so I can shoot 10mm Magnum. Doubletap loads the Magnum for now until someone else starts. The revolver will be able to shoot Magnum, standard 10mm and 40s&w. Cool

http://pinnaclehighperformance.com/

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why the 45-70 resurgence ??? It was all but history, now everwhere. Guess there is just cycles.

Posts: 888 | Location: TX | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't know about "resurgence", but I only discovered 10mm with SIG's introduction of the P220-10mm SAO. What a wonderful pistol, heavy, yes, but it shoots Underwood full power with little recoil, and is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. I've pared down my pistol collection as I get older, and have settled on 10mm as my only caliber. I also have the Ruger GP-100 3.5" Wiley Clapp model. It is the first revolver I've shot well. Those two and a vintage P230 are the only pistols I own anymore.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post