SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Cobra anyone?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Cobra anyone? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This revolver weighs 25 ounces unloaded. Way too large and heavy for only six shots. That's 10 ounces more than a S&W 642.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Considering the layoffs earlier this week (a customer told me about it today), I wouldn't count on the Cobra being a Colt masterpiece anytime soon. This company has been bleeding money since returning from the brink, and it would not surprise me if it goes finally into receivership before this Cobra makes it to market.

Colt Lays Of CS directors, other employees. Company rumored to be gutted.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt's done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
This revolver weighs 25 ounces unloaded. Way too large and heavy for only six shots. That's 10 ounces more than a S&W 642.

And one once lighter than a .38 +p Ruger SP101 and the same weight as a .357 SP101. It's also lighter than the newly released Smith 66 with 2.75" barrel. Yes the colt has a shorter barrel but .75 inch of barrel doesn't weigh 8 ounces. I suspect that this is a test the waters project. If they sell well, We will probably see a .357 version and possibly a lighter alloy version as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Colt's done.
People have been saying that for 30 years. The name brand is too powerful to just go away.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The NRA is saying everything is fine over at Colt:
O'Keefe is Kevin Bacon?

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been looking for a detective special. May just buy this instead!

Sig P220 West German
Sig P224
Sig P225 West German
Sig P226 West German
Sig P226R .40 S&W (Sold)
Sig P228 West German
Sig P228R
Sig P229R .357 SIG (Sold)
Sig P230 West German
Sig P245
Sig P320C .45
Sig P6 (1981) (Sold)
Sig 1911 Carry TacOps

Posts: 79 | Location: Derry, NH | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
To all those buying, prepared to be disappointed.

Do you actually own one?

I do not, Sir.

I prefer to let my Python serve as the memory of what Colt once was Wink

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby-jones:
Been looking for a detective special. May just buy this instead!

I would suggest buy a lnib detective. Time tested, beautifully finished , durable. Not so sure about the new cobra.

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glad I got my Colt 1911 last year - it's perfect but I see that as my one and only purchase from them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
Colt reps have said there will be different sights, grips, and finishes available in the future for this gun. I'm waiting on a blued model with steel sights. Until then, I'm happy with my 1975 Detective Special.

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a review of the new Cobra in the latest "Guns & Ammo".

The only thing that stuck out in my mind after reading the article was the method of removing the front sight. (This comment is not meant to be a positive or a negative). It was kind of amusing. You use an allen wrench and stick it in a small hole just above the bore. It looks like a tiny bore above the big bore facing the target.

Posts: 282 | Location: Lake Martin, Alabama | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I'd entertain getting one...

I want one that is mirror polished with pearl handles.

Yes. I am a pimp.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lamarw:
It was kind of amusing. You use an allen wrench and stick it in a small hole just above the bore. It looks like a tiny bore above the big bore facing the target.

Other gun companies use the same setup.....GSG is one of them.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Glad I got my Colt 1911 last year - it's perfect but I see that as my one and only purchase from them.

I'm thinking about buying a 1911. It will be my first. I'm considering the parkerized colt competition. I'm somewhat leery but how can they screw up a 1911? Smile

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I'm thinking about buying a 1911. It will be my first. I'm considering the parkerized colt competition. I'm somewhat leery but how can they screw up a 1911? Smile

Old, worn out machines. Union employees who cannot get fired when they stop giving a fuck. Or ask Sig when they bought poorly made frames and slides for the first generation of GSRs. Or anything from ParaOrdinance.

20 years ago I remember checking out a Colt Gold Cup and the entry level Kimber. Other than having adjustable sights, the Kimber had the Colt beat in just about every angle for half the cost.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I got to handle one at LGS a couple days ago, and wow, I was severely disappointed. I'll even go one step further. As far as Colt guns go, it was a royal piece of shit. I couldn't believe Colt would sell out their name like that. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a Bulldog if you want one, but at least you know in advance what you're getting and you bought it for a purpose. But as the owner of a Python and a DSII, I actually got pissed at Colt when I picked up that gun. When I pulled back the cylinder release, the dam thing cut me. The metal and finish of the gun itself looked like poured pot metal. Hell maybe it was. I suppose it was false hope that Colt would bring back some semblance of a modern version of their magnificent revolvers. I realize if they produced their old revolver quality again, it would cost three times as much as a Smith, and if so then so be it. But don't put the Colt name on something like that. Some really stupid ass mother fuckers must be in charge of Colt who don't give an ass rip about their great revolvers of the past and the Colt name in general. Screw them.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt will have to do MUCH better to get my money. They screwed me in the 90's on an Official Police, a DS-II, and the Pocket Nine. The Kimber appears to be a much better revolver. I've only put 300 rounds thru my Kimber, but it came with freakin' recessed chambers, which I hadn't seen in years. It's accurate, fits my hand well, and appears reliable.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've handled three of these so far.

At $800 and fitting worse than Taurus, there ain't no way I will buy one.

The barrel is a full .0020 off the frame and the side plate looks like they beat it into place with a hammer.

I absolutely HATE the squared off trigger guard and that longer MIM trigger. It's grittier than if you dropped at the beach.

Even the ejector rod feels shitty and the grips don't even properly fit.

Well, there you have it from a die hard Colt fan.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I've handled three of these so far.

At $800 and fitting worse than Taurus, there ain't no way I will buy one.

The barrel is a full .0020 off the frame and the side plate looks like they beat it into place with a hammer.

I absolutely HATE the squared off trigger guard and that longer MIM trigger. It's grittier than if you dropped at the beach.

Even the ejector rod feels shitty and the grips don't even properly fit.

Well, there you have it from a die hard Colt fan.

That is very sad news.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post