SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Colt Cobra anyone?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Cobra anyone? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPrimo:
Is Charter Arms building this for Colt????

hehehe ...

My thoughts exactly. Although the double action pull is universally praised, by the few who have actually shot one.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The trigger looks like MIM or sintered metal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I forsee one in my future.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Should have been picked a different snake name, like the Hognose - looks kinda like a Cobra, but small, stocky and rougher. Just like this. I recently got bitten by a bug for small revolvers ... but this snake doesn't appeal to me at all. And I'm a confessed Colt fanboy.

quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Has anyone seen one of these in the wild?
I shot two of them back in January.

They are not the old alloy framed Cobras

These are full stainless revolvers chambered for 38 Special. Closer to what a DS-III might be but with a relatively unfinished look.

It actually looks better in the photos than in person.

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
kinda looks like a hogue grip.

At an MSRP of $699, it's got a hell of a fight against Ruger and S&W. They had better hope lots of people buy one for the name.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
How did it shoot? How was the trigger?
The triggers on the two I shot and the others that I handled were spectacular. Dinging the plates was no big deal with the Colt branded ammunition that we had been supplied with (private labeled by DoubleTap)

However, this was a SHOT Show event with a NEW firearm so these may have been production firearms or they may have been hand massaged revolvers specifically for the Media. If I can get a T&E sample sent out I will have a better handle on that

The ones I handled in the booth had excellent triggers as well but as Para said "You can't go home again". I would not compare it to the original Colt revolvers. I would just compare it to the other current offerings.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Porkie
posted Hide Post
I have an original Colts Agent, 1st Series, which makes it a Cobra Airweight with an unshrouded ejector rod and a shortened grip. I therefore have no requirement for this new model.

Regards, Porkie

Posts: 968 | Location: MN | Registered: November 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hopping to bring Simon and Simon back with this. It alas I don't think so.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After thinking about this, it kinda looks like the Glock of the revolver world. Appearance wise.

My serious revolver days were back in the 1960's and 70's. Other than the pre-WW II period, those were the golden days.

At heart, I'm a steel and walnut guy. However, I still like my Glocks and P320's. Sometimes ya gotta change with the times. It'll be interesting to see how the new "Cobra" works out. If I actually bought one, I'd dump the fiber optic (don't use them) and dehorn the hammer spur, just like all my other SD revolvers.

It AIN'T no Cobra. However, if it turns out to be a good revolver, I can overlook the marketing hype.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
In pics the finish captures the whole pot metal look aura thingy quite convincingly, I must say...

I think I'd rather have the Kimber.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
To all those buying, prepared to be disappointed.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
In pics the finish captures the whole pot metal look aura thingy quite convincingly, I must say...

The finish looks like is a matte finish. Maybe the polished steel version will look nicer.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "bell" on the barrel where it connects to the frame is weird. Does it have a 2 piece barrel?

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It looks like a gun that's meant to be carried and shot, not shown off.

Don't get me wrong. I like the looks of the Kimber, but it's a $1,000++ gun. It SHOULD look better.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The large "service" revolver is largely dead, but small-frame revolvers still enjoy quite strong sales, so you can't blame Colt for wanting to get in on it.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Don't get me wrong. I like the looks of the Kimber, but it's a $1,000++ gun. It SHOULD look better.

Which kimber? If you're thinking k6, those are going for 5-800 street price right now, not terribly far off where a new one of these should land ($699 msrp should mean 550-650 street price)

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

quote:

On GB it's a four-figure gun. In shops the K6 is around $800...IF you can actually find it in the flesh. Only one into our shop so far, didn't last an hour. And Kimber now has a backlog that even the DW715 would be envious of (that last bit was a bit of gun dealer sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You can't go home again.

Thats for sure. The design, fit, and finish doesn't in any way compare with the old versions and (no doubt) does the quality of work put into these guns at the factory. Very sad, but not unexpected. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
To all those buying, prepared to be disappointed.

Do you actually own one?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I saw it in a magazine and it looked a lot better than these photos. Who knows what a production model looks like.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post