SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside) Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLEANDEAN:
Just found out my MKII was made in 1985
# 211- 195XX ... 3 serrations on the bolt.
Now you got me worried about breakage.
What should I beware of, something to do as preventive maintainance ?

There is a preventative remedy for these bolts provided they are addressed before they begin to separate. Again, it is important to note these failures are very rare but not impossible. Attached is a link to a gunsmith who performs a preventative repair service. I have never used this service so I am unfamiliar with the process. The link also outlines Ruger's replacement policy re: these bolts.

https://www.saronagunworks.com...oduct&product_id=154

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Thanks , much appreciated.

And from a guy in my own area in Pa.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is there any real difference between a MK2 and a MK4? I have shot my fathers MK2 in the past.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Is there any real difference between a MK2 and a MK4? I have shot my fathers MK2 in the past.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the MkIII implemented a magazine disconnect safety, so the gun will not fire without a magazine inserted. In addition to the mag disconnect, the MkIV changed the design to include takedown pins that make disassembly easier. Other than those changes, I believe the designs are very similar.

I'm not a fan of the extra complexity that the mag-disconnect safety adds, and the takedown process for the older guns didn't scare me, so I was looking for a MkII.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

I am not sure of all the differences but there are a few

1. I think the trigger is different
2. Mk2 has a heel mag release mk4 american
3. Mk4 has a button that will release the barrell and bolt from the frame

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Spent some more time on the range today with the Mk II. The first couple of trips were more to verify function, today I benched it and focused on trying to get a precise zero. I got it close, but that notched/undercut front sight has got to go. I'm having a very hard time maintaining a front sight focus on the black post, and that goofy undercut does weird things with the lighting.

I'd really like a post with a brass bead (a nice, classy period-correct option that also provides a focal point for the eyes), but I'm not seeing any for sale. Tqhe market sure is flooded with fiber optic options, though. Anybody have a line on a brass bead front sight for a bull-barrel Mk II?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post