SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside) Login/Join 
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Well done! Fantastic price!

I shoot the same pistol in bullseye league, with iron sights and no trigger mods other than fine tuning the overtravel adjustment on the factory trigger.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have Ruger MKI, MKII, MKIII, & MKIV pistols. In the earlier models (MKI-MKIII), I installed one of these kits, not because I can't disassemble/reassemble properly, but because time is important to me!
https://www.eabco.com/Ruger_Mk_III_Speed_Strip.html

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Cleaning these is overrated.... just keep spraying lube/cleaner in the receiver on the bolt and you'll be fine.
I would agree on most guns but with the .22's in general they don't have enough extra oomph to cycle the action when they get dirty and .22 ammo is extremely dirty.

The MKIV got the cleaning simplicity nailed.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MKII's are great.

A buddy had one growing up and his dad bent all the pins in the frame when a hammer got involved in reassembly in a fit of frustration.

You can't go wrong with the fat barrel either. I'd like one just like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M1Garandy,

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
For clarification, does this bolt failure safety issue apply to all MK IIs, both steel and stainless steel, or only the stainless steel MK II models?

The two-piece bolts were unique to earlier production MK II stainless steel pistols only. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a published date or serial number range. There was never a formal safety recall, though there was a period where these bolts were routinely replaced when pistols were returned to the factory for service.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a twin to your new Ruger for many years and it is a joy to shoot and more accurate than I am.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
For clarification, does this bolt failure safety issue apply to all MK IIs, both steel and stainless steel, or only the stainless steel MK II models?

The two-piece bolts were unique to earlier production MK II stainless steel pistols only. Unfortunately, I am unaware of a published date or serial number range. There was never a formal safety recall, though there was a period where these bolts were routinely replaced when pistols were returned to the factory for service.

Good to know..thanks for the follow-up! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome find.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I love mine which I found about three years ago. It is the Taget model and tapered barrel.
VQ sear and hammer parts will have you thinking that you can shoot like a pro Smile

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
The last one I had invoked curse words from within that I never knew existed.....

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
The last one I had invoked curse words from within that I never knew existed.....

Why was that?

Posts: 8394 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
make good choices!

Volquartsen MKII Parts

I hear you...the temptation is definitely there, but I shot it again today, and it's hard to see how you could really make it any better. The action is smooth, the trigger (a wide, serrated target trigger) is extremely light and crisp, and the thing just works. I really think it's at a place where there's not much room for improvement...knowing me, I'd end up spending good money on parts just to make it worse!

https://volquartsen.com/produc...stol-competition-kit
I put this in my MKII competition and could hardly believe the huge improvement it made, money well spent!!

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I once had the "Government Target Model" and sadly sold it at a time when I needed money. I miss that pistol. It never hiccuped on any ammo and was a tack driver.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long time Mark II fan here as well. I have that exact one as well as other stainless Mark II's. And yes you made an amazingly good choice.

Fair Warning - adding an SP101 or a GP100 to your .22lr options will lengthen your range time and dramatically increase your fun quotient.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair Warning - adding an SP101 or a GP100 to your .22lr options will lengthen your range time and dramatically increase your fun quotient.

Funny you should say that...the SP101 in .22lr was actually what I was hoping to find in the case that day. They've dried up locally, at least for now, but it's defiitely on my short list. I wouldn't turn up my nose at a GP100 .22 if I saw one in the case at the right price...but I think I really want the SP101. I already have both in .357...imo the SP101 is the perfect size for a .22. I also have a 5.5" single-six which is a hoot to shoot as well. I didn't set out to become a Ruger addict...it just kinda happened Big Grin.

Posts: 8394 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
i have always just sprayed ou the chamber and used a bore snake. But I know that a lot of members in the past used these guy's speed strip kit that allowed you to remove the bolt with a hex screw
https://majesticarms.com/

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
i have always just sprayed ou the chamber and used a bore snake. But I know that a lot of members in the past used these guy's speed strip kit that allowed you to remove the bolt with a hex screw
https://majesticarms.com/

I had mine apart again the other day, and was able to do it in just a couple of minutes without the video. It's really not that bad once you have the sequence down. The hammer needs to be in the "cocked" position to insert the bolt (this will quickly become evident as you can't insert the bolt into the gun with the hammer in the way), then pull the trigger and push up on the hammer from below to get it into the "fired" position once the bolt is installed. Slide the mainspring housing pin into place, then tilt the gun muzzle up so that the hammer strut dangles, rock the mainspring housing into place ensuring that the strut is seating in the notch (you can see it up to a certain point, and then tell if it's correct as there will be a bit of backpressure right before it seats fully), and then swing the mainspring housing into position and lock it into place with the lever. It's really nowhere near the nightmare that it's reputed to be.

IMO the worst part of the takedown process is separating and re-installing the press-fit upper on the grip frame. Its not hard to do, it just makes me cringe a little to put that kind of force on a gun.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:

Why was that?

Disassembly was a breeze. Some days, it went together really easily. Other times, that strut wouldn’t fall in the right spot. The day it took me 2 days to put back together...had to walk away several times. YouTube video helps some. But the new mark 4 is the way to go.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The day it took me 2 days to put back together...had to walk away several times.

Lol...I've been there! Had a car once that took me a week to get the rotors off (rust issues). Soaking and hammering, prying and heating...I ended up breaking a bunch of stuff and incurring a bunch of additional cost...all over something that would have just slid off if the previous owner had maintained it properly. By the time I was done with that thing, I was ready to roll it outside and set it on fire Big Grin.

Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Just found out my MKII was made in 1985
# 211- 195XX ... 3 serrations on the bolt.
Now you got me worried about breakage.
What should I beware of, something to do as preventive maintainance ?

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 180 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post