SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside) Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
This afternoon my oldest and I made the 30 minute drive to a regional shop that carries a good variety of reloading components. I was looking for some powder and primers. The last time I took my son to the LGS, we came back with a Marlin 39. Before we left today, my wife told me to "make good choices." Not sure what she's talking about...I always make good choices Big Grin.

So we get to the store. No primers, but I scored a lb of 2400 and a lb of HS6, as well as some hard cast 158gr SWCs, and even some 55gr .224 fmj for $11/100. I took the stuff to the counter, but the counter guy was helping somebody else with a 4473, so I started looking around. This where the temptation to make bad choices begins.

First thing I saw was a Redhawk in .45 colt/45 acp. This is a gun I've been jonesing for, but they wanted $890, which isn't impulse buy money for me. I successfully fought of the urge to buy it (good choices!), but the counter guy was still busy, so I kept looking.

I saw something shiny on the bottom shelf behind some other stuff. I looked closer and saw a stainless MkII Target (I almost bought a mkII last year, but it was gone when I got there, so I've been casually looking ever since), and the tag said $275. For that price, leaving it there did not seem like a good choice, so it came home with us.

Wife was surprisingly tolerant. I think she was happy it wasn't a $900 Redhawk (again, good choices!). The boy and I took it over to my buddy's and put about 125 rounds through it. Got the sights zeroed and it shoots awesome, even with cheap Federal bulk. It has a great trigger, and the action is smooth. The only malfunction we had was due to a bad round that wouldn't fit in the chamber...can't blame that on the gun.

I'd heard they're a nightmare to clean, but I watched a YouTube video, took my time, and it really wasn't too bad once you figure out the correct sequence of things. Probably only took me about 3 minutes to get it re-assembled. It was pretty dirty, but otherwise in perfect condition. I think it's a keeper!

Posts: 8398 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh! Yes, you made a good choice, and got a good deal in the process.

I dearly miss the blued MK II Target model I sold to a member here...but I've always wanted a MK II stainless steel slab side.

Glad you weren't influenced by all the talk of disassembly difficulties. They can be a bit of a puzzle at first, especially when new and stiff, and may try the patience for those with little of it...but they are just a gem of an accurate .22 and you can be guaranteed years of plinking fun on the range, or small game/ varmint hunting in the field.

I still have my Dad's old MK I and love it dearly, but I think the MK II was the sweet spot for the MK series...although I have yet to shoot a MK IV and I'd wager that is a good gun in its own right, as well.

You chose...wisely.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have it's blue twin. Great little guns. I got mine in the middle '80s new.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
A better choice will be very rare in one's lifetime. Congrats!

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
DansSIGs, Yup, I definitely encountered that the first time I put it back together...then with the help of the youtube video realized it's exactly as you described...just flip it muzzle up and let that strut fall right into the groove on the mainspring housing.

It's definitely not an intuitive design, but once you understand how it works it makes sense and it's really not that difficult to get back together.

I don't really mind that they have the reputation that they do, though, because with the release of the Mk IV, it seems that a lot of these older ones are available at really decent prices.

I love the solid feel of this thing. It's kind of why I'm a sucker for old Rugers in the first place....22s that feel like real guns, not cheap plastic toys.

Posts: 8398 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I also have a blued MKII......love it!!! Ultra reliable. I've never really had an issue with disassembling or putting it back together again.

I'm on the hunt for a stainless MKII. My LGS has one, but....I'm wanting a .44 lever action rifle, so.....the temptation to grab the MKII is almost unbearable!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Good choice! Now get an “Ultimate Cliploader.” They’re the bee’s knees!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3180 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Ruger MK II Target! They are fine pistols indeed. Judging from the three (3) vertical serrations on the cocking ears, your bolt appears to be of the earlier two-piece design. While rare, these bolts are known to separate where the two pieces are joined. In my ~35 year fascination with the MK II I've not heard any reports of personal injury due to a bolt separation, though owners of stainless steel MKII pistols with these bolts should be aware of the potential for failure. In the unlikely event your bolt should fail, it is my understanding Ruger will replace the bolt with a current generation one-piece design (since parts specific to the MK II are no longer available). For comparison, attached are photos of a 2002 MK II Target showing the newer one-piece stainless steel bolt design. Note the four (4) vertical serrations as well as the square profile of the cocking ears. In addition to the three (3) serrations, the two-piece bolt is identified by its tapered cocking ears as well as a visible seam at the rear of the bolt body. Enjoy.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sure enough, it appears that mine has the 2 piece bolt. I'll keep an eye on it, but it definitely looks pretty solid. It's nice to know Ruger will take care of it if it does let go, though.

posted Hide Post
Nice find! I have a blued one and love it!

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
While rare, these bolts are known to separate where the two pieces are joined. In my ~35 year fascination with the MK II I've not heard any reports of personal injury due to a bolt separation, though owners of stainless steel MKII pistols with these bolts should be aware of the potential for failure.

I was aware of the MK IV safety recall but not aware of the MK II bolt safety issue so thanks for the heads up!

A quick check of the Ruger recall and safety announcements doesn't include the MK II.

Ruger recall and safety announcements

For clarification, does this bolt failure safety issue apply to all MK IIs, both steel and stainless steel, or only the stainless steel MK II models?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice and you got it for a pretty good price. Wink

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
make good choices!

Volquartsen MKII Parts

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Cleaning these is overrated.... just keep spraying lube/cleaner in the receiver on the bolt and you'll be fine.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Ruger MK II Target!...

Thanks, I was unaware of the problem you mention.
Good to know my blue MKII from the mid-late 70's has the four serrations. It's an inch or longer barrel than 92fstech's, Pachmayr grips also.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8308 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
excellent price on that very nice Ruger

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a great deal. Haven’t seen one for sale here in years (CA roster). People don’t give them up. I wanted another to go with my pencil barrel 4 incher MKII so I gave up and started buying buckmarks, which browning has not changed so it’s remained on the roster. I Sold the MKII for a serious premium, well more than the cost of 2 new buckmarks

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Cleaning these is overrated.... just keep spraying lube/cleaner in the receiver on the bolt and you'll be fine.

That is my method, and I have never had any trouble reassembling it!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
make good choices!

Volquartsen MKII Parts

I hear you...the temptation is definitely there, but I shot it again today, and it's hard to see how you could really make it any better. The action is smooth, the trigger (a wide, serrated target trigger) is extremely light and crisp, and the thing just works. I really think it's at a place where there's not much room for improvement...knowing me, I'd end up spending good money on parts just to make it worse!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
$275.

Posts: 17047 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post