SIGforum
"Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1350075674

November 18, 2020, 12:23 PM
hjs157
"Make good choices" she said...then this happened (Ruger Mk II Content Inside)
quote:
Originally posted by CLEANDEAN:
Just found out my MKII was made in 1985
# 211- 195XX ... 3 serrations on the bolt.
Now you got me worried about breakage.
What should I beware of, something to do as preventive maintainance ?

There is a preventative remedy for these bolts provided they are addressed before they begin to separate. Again, it is important to note these failures are very rare but not impossible. Attached is a link to a gunsmith who performs a preventative repair service. I have never used this service so I am unfamiliar with the process. The link also outlines Ruger's replacement policy re: these bolts.

https://www.saronagunworks.com...oduct&product_id=154
November 18, 2020, 06:15 PM
CLEANDEAN
Thanks , much appreciated.

And from a guy in my own area in Pa.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.
November 19, 2020, 10:46 AM
Voshterkoff
Is there any real difference between a MK2 and a MK4? I have shot my fathers MK2 in the past.
November 19, 2020, 10:56 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Is there any real difference between a MK2 and a MK4? I have shot my fathers MK2 in the past.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the MkIII implemented a magazine disconnect safety, so the gun will not fire without a magazine inserted. In addition to the mag disconnect, the MkIV changed the design to include takedown pins that make disassembly easier. Other than those changes, I believe the designs are very similar.

I'm not a fan of the extra complexity that the mag-disconnect safety adds, and the takedown process for the older guns didn't scare me, so I was looking for a MkII.
November 20, 2020, 05:36 PM
Ronin101
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

I am not sure of all the differences but there are a few

1. I think the trigger is different
2. Mk2 has a heel mag release mk4 american
3. Mk4 has a button that will release the barrell and bolt from the frame
November 21, 2020, 09:08 PM
92fstech
Spent some more time on the range today with the Mk II. The first couple of trips were more to verify function, today I benched it and focused on trying to get a precise zero. I got it close, but that notched/undercut front sight has got to go. I'm having a very hard time maintaining a front sight focus on the black post, and that goofy undercut does weird things with the lighting.

I'd really like a post with a brass bead (a nice, classy period-correct option that also provides a focal point for the eyes), but I'm not seeing any for sale. Tqhe market sure is flooded with fiber optic options, though. Anybody have a line on a brass bead front sight for a bull-barrel Mk II?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,