SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Login/Join 
posted
I finally got to shoot it today, unfortunately at an indoor range, as the desert is closed due to fire danger for the time being.

I didn't have a lot of time, but ran 300 rounds through the P365 using the 10 round magazines and a 12 round magazine. All with Remington 115 g UMC (because there was a bunch laying around). Nothing to write home about, which is to say it performed as advertised. The trigger was consistent from beginning to end, though the trigger did seem to heat up faster and more than other pistols of comparable size; not noticed on the G43 or XDs thanks to the plastic, I guess.

In between boxes of the 9mm in the P365, I shot the G32. Everything stayed where it was supposed to, more so than the 365, which I attribute to more to hang on to with the Glock and more familiarity. The G32 also has Trijicon HD sights, which in the dimmer light of the indoor range are a lot easier to see. The P365's x-ray sights are small and compact, and the green outline on the front sight is fine in daylight, but disappears most everywhere else. Mostly at the range I saw it as more of just a silhouette.

When I took my time, the 365 shot right to point of aim, covered by the front sight. When I moved a little faster, at 10 and 15 yards, I opened up to 3-4" groupings, sloping down and left, which is obviously all me. Once I got a better feel for the trigger to prep and reset, the grouping closed up. I'm not a competitor or speed shooter and didn't expect to drive tacks or set blazing records; mostly just run it for reliability.

The firing pin apparently did not break off.

I pulled out a Kimber snub nose .357 and shot half a box. Rounds were going well right and a bit high. I discovered the rear sight had drifted right as I shot. It hurt to shoot, and maybe I should have shot that first, but it shouldn't have. I'd run out of time to go back to the P365 at that point, but I'm sure it would have felt like a .22 on the heels of the K6.

I'll give it a good clean up and look over, then lube, but thus far it performed as advertised. The trigger feels like a P320. I didn't find anything to whine about. The 10 round magazines didn't feel any different to me in practice than the 12 round, though the 12 round do stick down more and make for a fuller grip. The tiny grip circumference does make it a bit harder to hold, but not appreciably so, and the texture helps a lot. It's a short pistol, and the thumb on the support hand needs to be back far enough to avoid getting burned. The powder residue and junk at the front of the pistol extended back probably 3/4," which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's not a very long pistol to begin with.

Overall, I'm happy with it thus far.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I finally got to shoot it today, unfortunately at an indoor range, as the desert is closed due to fire danger for the time being.

I didn't have a lot of time, but ran 300 rounds through the P365 using the 10 round magazines and a 12 round magazine. All with Remington 115 g UMC (because there was a bunch laying around). Nothing to write home about, which is to say it performed as advertised. The trigger was consistent from beginning to end, though the trigger did seem to heat up faster and more than other pistols of comparable size; not noticed on the G43 or XDs thanks to the plastic, I guess.

In between boxes of the 9mm in the P365, I shot the G32. Everything stayed where it was supposed to, more so than the 365, which I attribute to more to hang on to with the Glock and more familiarity. The G32 also has Trijicon HD sights, which in the dimmer light of the indoor range are a lot easier to see. The P365's x-ray sights are small and compact, and the green outline on the front sight is fine in daylight, but disappears most everywhere else. Mostly at the range I saw it as more of just a silhouette.

When I took my time, the 365 shot right to point of aim, covered by the front sight. When I moved a little faster, at 10 and 15 yards, I opened up to 3-4" groupings, sloping down and left, which is obviously all me. Once I got a better feel for the trigger to prep and reset, the grouping closed up. I'm not a competitor or speed shooter and didn't expect to drive tacks or set blazing records; mostly just run it for reliability.

The firing pin apparently did not break off.

I pulled out a Kimber snub nose .357 and shot half a box. Rounds were going well right and a bit high. I discovered the rear sight had drifted right as I shot. It hurt to shoot, and maybe I should have shot that first, but it shouldn't have. I'd run out of time to go back to the P365 at that point, but I'm sure it would have felt like a .22 on the heels of the K6.

I'll give it a good clean up and look over, then lube, but thus far it performed as advertised. The trigger feels like a P320. I didn't find anything to whine about. The 10 round magazines didn't feel any different to me in practice than the 12 round, though the 12 round do stick down more and make for a fuller grip. The tiny grip circumference does make it a bit harder to hold, but not appreciably so, and the texture helps a lot. It's a short pistol, and the thumb on the support hand needs to be back far enough to avoid getting burned. The powder residue and junk at the front of the pistol extended back probably 3/4," which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's not a very long pistol to begin with.

Overall, I'm happy with it thus far.

Very nice report! My support hand thumb comes away very blackened after shooting the 365, but have not gotten "burned." Knock on wood.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1837 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite likely it wouldn't. My thought was that the pistol is short enough that an extended thumb can easily reach the end of the frame.

I tore it down, cleaned it, inspected it. I didn't find evidence of peening. I pulled the firing pin and looked it over closely, and didn't see any problems. I did a pencil check after reassembly; the firing pin protrudes as when new.

I hope the firing pin reports are isolated and won't be a problem.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think Sig will ever offer grip module replacements for the 366? Removing the serialized chassis is pretty easy. I can see them selling some with integrated lasers maybe.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. When I first picked one up, I thought it would be great if they offered it in other chambering, but having handled at shot it now, I think it's probably about right in 9mm.

I'm sure some will put the hand-all type rubber sleeves on these little pistols, but to my mind if one is going to do that, why not just get a G26?

I did find that the grip is short enough that when releasing the magazine, it's held in place by the meat of my hand. Even trying to wrap with thumb and pointer finger and hold the hand clear, most of the time I was extracting the magazine with my support hand. It slowed the reload down. The pistol is short enough I didn't wan to get in too big a rush and get in front of the pistol. I can go a lot faster with a larger pistol, such as the G32 or even the smaller G43.

Will they make a slightly longer grip that allows the magazine to clear the hand more easily, or a fuller grip? Maybe, but it's a point of diminishing returns, and altering the grip module very much would seem to negate the most obvious advantages of this pistol.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
They could also offer different colors

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jg24
posted Hide Post
They have a grip module they will be releasing with a integrated laser. Look on youtube and there is a video from the Arizona Fish and Game Expo where SIG shows it.

Posts: 42 | Location: Utah | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jg24:
They have a grip module they will be releasing with a integrated laser. Look on youtube and there is a video from the Arizona Fish and Game Expo where SIG shows it.

So there's no confusion, SIG has announced an attachable rail/trigger guard mounted laser (similar to CRIMSON TRACE) for the P365. The activation button is mounted to the front strap.

This is not to be confused with the long awaited replacement grip module with an integrated laser for the P320. SIG refers to either as "Lima" in their promotional material.

https://www.shootingsportsreta...wo-p365-accessories/

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/lima320.html

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post