SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone have or had a PX4 Storm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have or had a PX4 Storm? Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
I saw a PX4 for sale in my area and don't much about them. Anyone have one? If so what do you like or dislike about it.

Thanks

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes great gun. Soft shooting and very accurate. Good trigger too

The main complaints are the batwing safety being sharp a little chunky.

I would keep the rotating lugs greased but other than that business as usual.

Do keep in mind the rotating barrel is more susceptible to debris causing a hard failure but this is not a problem unless you start dragging it in the mud.

I genuinely love mine. Feels great in the hand. Never a problem.

Also should you want to switch to decocoker only it’s fairly easy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Guys asking $400 for the pistol with Trijicon night sights, converted to de-cocker only, 4 mags, and Safariland ALS holster

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a deal. I have a Langdon modded compact model. It's accurate and soft-shooting. Takedown, or rather reassembly, make take some practice. It's Kinda like a Cougar, perfected.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would buy that. Great, reliable gun...especially with it modified to de-cock only.

Here there is no failure, only varied degrees of success!

Posts: 884 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Jump on that deal. I have the Px4 compact and love it. As mentioned above, the rotating barrel makes it a very soft shooter; especially with the polymer frame. It is comparable to my P229. It conceals very well too.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
I had one in .40 S&W. As others have said, it is a soft shooting pistol. I attribute that to the rotating barrel design, at least in part. The factory safety/decocking levers are a bit large, and in typical Beretta fashion... They are mounted in the wrong place (on the slide, rather than the frame). The system for swapping grip inserts is hokey, and the overall profile of the gun is fat.

Ultimately, it is a Beretta, and as such it is a quality firearm. It is a bit of an under-rated pistol in my opinion, but that tends to keep prices low. As described, it sounds like a decent deal for the one you mention. Don't be surprised if it takes a while to sell in the event that you decide not to keep it. They can be slow to move.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a decent value to me. You are basically getting the gun itself for $250ish when you factor in mags and nights.

Most folks who actually own PX4s tend to like them. There are lots of folks who have never owned one who don’t like them for various reasons most of which are a bit unfounded or over blown. You hear a lot of “it’s ugly” which HELLO, GLOCK!! Smile. I actually think it’s an attractive piece of Tupperware all things considered.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Have one in 9mm and like it quite a bit. Softest shooting 9 I’ve tried. Grip is slick but a section of bicycle inner tube sorted that. My daughter shoots it better than me so I guess it’ll be hers. Safeties are easily swapped out for lower profile if desired.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the protruding controls are bothersome (the were for me in IWB carry), flat or flatter controls are available at a reasonable price. Langdon carries them, and I think Beretta does too. Not a hard swap-out. As far as relocating them, well, Jeff Cooper can just roll over in his grave over that one.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had a compact in 9mm. One of those that I wish I didn't get rid of.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just took mine to BUSA for soe changes. My Full size 9mm never jammed in over 6K rounds even when I intentionally limp wristed it. If Batman carried a pistol it would be the PX4 Storm. Rotating barrel = low recoil.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a full-size 9mm decocker only version, and traded it for a SP2022.

I eventually sold the SP2022 and picked up something else, but then last year purchased a SP2022 again. You know something is wrong with you (and right with the pistol) when you purchase the same pistol again after selling it.

The PX4 is that same thing. I want to have it back and am looking for a replacement. They have a very good DA/SA pull, fell good in the hand, and have enough aftermarket options to keep them interesting and customizable. I should have never sold my PX4, especially as I only see safety/decocker versions now (which require a slight adjustment to make decocker-only).

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I had a full size one in .40, best thing about it was how soft the recoil was. Aesthetically, at first I liked it, but then I grew tired of the futuristic look of it, and sold it to fund some other gun.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife won a PX4 Full Size in .40 in a local gun raffle a few years ago. As others report, it has softer recoil than most pistols of that weight and caliber. Perceived recoil on the .40 is similar to a 9mm on other pistols.

Originally had the safety/decocker arrangement. For about $50, IIRC, I converted it to decocker only, with low-profile ambi levers. Makes it more enjoyable without the large, sharp, winged levers. It's my nightstand gun.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I really like my full-size 9mm Px4 Storm. It’s accurate and the rotating barrel supposedly reduces recoil, though with 9mm, I’m not sure how different it would be for its size if it was a traditional mechanism. My only complaint was that the white dot on the front sight fell out, but since this one has Trijicons, that won’t be an issue with it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a compact PX4 and it's one of my favorite pistols. When you rack the slide it has the same sort of satisfying, slick mechanical feel that a 92 has. It's also very accurate and quick to get back on target.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker has a 40 compact Cougar. Shoots like a 22lr compared to my 357Sig P320C.
Former coworker also had a 40 PX4 compact.

Don't recall either having any trouble with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I have the 45acp, it's good in 45 but better in 9mm.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone
Im meeting with the seller after Christmas
Cool

Montani Semper Liberi