Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 .40 KD Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

I have the railed version. I hope there is a two tone non railed version out there.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Blue Dog, I just got # 163 291, off of gunbroker a few weeks ago.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, the railed version was made/proofed way later, 2010 (BA date code).

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the grips.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
quote:

Yes, The box is marked SL. That's my .357 in the picture. The .357 did not have date code and marked .357 on the slide like the .40. Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

The barrel on the .357 did have date code.

I have several photos from other gun owners that have been sent to me. In most, if not all, cases I asked and was given their permission to
re-post them. Apologies if you did not give that permission Frown and I will not use them again.

What was the date code on your .357 P229 SL? I ask because it might give a hint as to when the .357 caliber first became available on a SIG, and, also, if your date code is in the '90s then I will have to update my "SIG factoid" database as to when SIG began putting proof marks on the left side of the barrel instead of the bottom of the slide dust cover. My past observations had indicated it was in the early 2000's.

Also, the P229 SL entry in Vetter's book on SIG Pistols only shows a .40 S&W caliber. However, my book was copyrighted in 1995 and you obviously have a P229 SL in .357 so it is inconclusive to me if the two-tone SL was ever made 9mm.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
quote:

Yes, The box is marked SL. That's my .357 in the picture. The .357 did not have date code and marked .357 on the slide like the .40. Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

The barrel on the .357 did have date code.

I have several photos from other gun owners that have been sent to me. In most, if not all, cases I asked and was given their permission to
re-post them. Apologies if you did not give that permission Frown and I will not use them again.

What was the date code on your .357 P229 SL? I ask because it might give a hint as to when the .357 caliber first became available on a SIG, and, also, if your date code is in the '90s then I will have to update my "SIG factoid" database as to when SIG began putting proof marks on the left side of the barrel instead of the bottom of the slide dust cover. My past observations had indicated it was in the early 2000's.

Also, the P229 SL entry in Vetter's book on SIG Pistols only shows a .40 S&W caliber. However, my book was copyrighted in 1995 and you obviously have a P229 SL in .357 so it is inconclusive to me if the two-tone SL was ever made 9mm.

I believe it is KF. I will verify when I get home.

posted Hide Post
wgsigs, The date code on the .357 barrel is KJ 1998. Thanks

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
wgsigs, The date code on the .357 barrel is KJ 1998. Thanks

I have also seen the date code on the barrel hood on the P226 (the all stainless ones) around this year, on another board.

Interestingly, on the P228, the date code was still on the chin of the slide as late as KK (1999).

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Okay, I'm confused. This pistol is clearly a German gun. I have a P229R DAK that was originally a .40 but I run it with a factory 357 SIG barrel. The serial number of my pistol starts with AM 92. It says Frame Made In Germany, but is no doubt an Exeter gun.

Why would my pistol appear to be an earlier production gun than the one pictured above, but be a US produced pistol (minus the frame)? Was Exeter not making frames in their early days?

Sorry guys, I'm not up to speed on the production details of these guns. I just carry and shoot them.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Okay, I'm confused. This pistol is clearly a German gun. I have a P229R DAK that was originally a .40 but I run it with a factory 357 SIG barrel. The serial number of my pistol starts with AM 92. It says Frame Made In Germany, but is no doubt an Exeter gun.

Why would my pistol appear to be an earlier production gun than the one pictured above, but be a US produced pistol (minus the frame)?

There is no confusion here.
Your serial # is AM followed by 5 digits. Mine is AM followed by 6 digits. Yours is obviously earlier. Early P229s that were not made, assembled, and proofed in Germany have frames made in Germany that were assembled into complete guns at SIG USA, using US made parts like the slide and barrel.

Q

Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for the quick, and informative reply. I had always assumed that the all German guns would have been the earlier examples here in the states.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
Interesting. Thanks for the quick, and informative reply. I had always assumed that the all German guns would have been the earlier examples here in the states.

I would guess that 99+% of all P229s in the US were made here. The only German-made P229s in the US I am aware of were guns purchased in Europe and brought in by individuals like military; a batch of 9mm P229s imported by PW Arms, I believe, and sold by Dan's Ammo around 2010; and a batch imported by SIG a few years ago. There may have been other small batches imported at other times, but I am not aware of them. That is why German-made P229s are so uncommon here.

As far as I know the only thing made in the US on the early P229s was the stainless steel slide, the barrel and frame being made in Germany. Also, it is my understanding that even the stainless slides on the early German-made P229s were US made until Eckernförde was able to gear up production.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post