Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 .40 KD Login/Join 
posted

Picked up a P229 in 40 about a month ago. Finally had some time to post some pics

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Odd, caliber marking on the slide?
That is a very early one right there. Sooo, made and proofed in Germany, no import stamp?

Also, no "stainless" rollmark, why oh why with the short trigger. Wink
Pretty weapon and looks to be in great shape.

Earlier than anything on the list:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7320040262

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never seen anything like it. I wasn't aware that P229 slides, regardless how early they were made, had proof marks—ever! You've piqued my interest, to say the least, you lucky dog.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

i have seen something like this before....those very very very early 229s (typically AA serial prefix) do seem to show up with German proofs like that.

The regular US production triples (AB, AC, AD) all lack those german proofs. Great find!

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:
Never seen anything like it. I wasn't aware that P229 slides, regardless how early they were made, had proof marks—ever! You've piqued my interest, to say the least, you lucky dog.
The proof marks are rare but not unheard of for early P229's.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:
The proof marks are rare but not unheard of for early P229's.

Thanks quantum and stoic. I learned something today...I learned this is one P229 variant that has eluded me and now must find someday Big Grin.
Congrats OP!

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Waiting to see if 12131 pops in for a visit!

NRA Benefactor

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I was taking mom out for walking earlier, when I saw Blue Dog posted this (smart phone an all), and I instantly recognized how special this gun is. A couple of similar such P229s have been posted a while ago. And, I've seen one on GB before, but Blue Dog's example is the nicest I see so far. Congrats, fellow Texan! Cool

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is beautiful.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You what's strange about this one? German proof marks on slide, but not on frame, although it was clearly done in Germany. What about the barrel, Blue Dog?

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrel is proofed and has same s/n as slide and frame. Came in original box (grey card board) and has test target.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see it now, the proof mark on the top of trigger guard.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Odd, caliber marking on the slide?
That is a very early one right there. Sooo, made and proofed in Germany, no import stamp?

No import marks = usually bring back by military guys
But, no country of origin marking is more interesting, although we know it was made in Germany.

My EN P225 is exactly the same way.

Q

posted Hide Post
That's a nice one 12131.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
Barrel is proofed and has same s/n as slide and frame. Came in original box (grey card board) and has test target.

Does the label on the box indicate your gun is a "P229 SL"? All of the previous German-made Two-Tone P229s I have seen have been SLs.

Like this one. Not mine but owned by a former member here who sent me the photos to post a while ago.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Does the label on the box indicate your gun is a "P229 SL"? All of the previous German-made Two-Tone P229s I have seen have been SLs.

Like this one. Not mine but owned by a former member here who sent me the photos to post a while ago.

Yes, The box is marked SL. That's my .357 in the picture. The .357 did not have date code and marked .357 on the slide like the .40. Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

They did, AE date code. I'll post pics later, when I get to my computer.

Q

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, The box is marked SL. That's my .357 in the picture. The .357 did not have date code and marked .357 on the slide like the .40. Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

So you are the "former" Red Face member and there was no date code on the slide chin or left side of the barrel hood? I also have some photos of another member's KD .40 P229 SL (AA11xxx) that .40 S&W" on the slide.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So you are the "former" Red Face member and there was no date code on the slide chin or left side of the barrel hood? I also have some photos of another member's KD .40 P229 SL (AA11xxx) that .40 S&W" on the slide.

The barrel on the .357 did have date code.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Now I need to find one in 9mm if they made one.

They did, AE date code. I'll post pics later, when I get to my computer.

OK, here they are. Made and proofed (AE) in 2004. But, the oddest thing is that they were released on the US market in 2011. Pretty sure most of them were released in Germany in 2004. But my WAG is that, somehow, SIG Germany still had a stash of these forgotten in the janitor room, and they weren't found until 2004? Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q