SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions about Glock desert sand finish pistols please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about Glock desert sand finish pistols please Login/Join 
posted
I was offered Glock 19 in desert sand this morning. It is from an estate sale, the seller knows nothing about guns. It is in the box, appears unfired. Obviously the slides of these guns are coated, is the frame molded in this color? Is this a factory finish ? How durable is it? Lastly, does this finish have a premium on the value? He took the gun to a LGS and was offered $225.00; the salesman explained he had hundreds of used guns in stock and did not need another. Thanks.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
If it's the color that I think it is, then what you've been offered is a distributor-finished special, likely from Acusport. Those guns were Cerakote finished on both slide and frame in a lighter-than-usual-for-Glock tan that resembles more closely Magpul FDE than the factory poop brown "FDE" does.

The best way to determine if what you have is a distributor-modified gun is to look at the serial number plate in the frame. Same color as the rest of the frame: distributor-created. Standard unfinished metal: factory integral color.

EDIT: also be aware that there have been reports of operational issues with these guns, most likely due to the thickness of the Cerakote finish of the slides slowing down the action. Even factory Cerakote guns are not immune from this; One of our customers has a full FDE factory G19 that runs poorly with many 115gr factory ammo loads.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I thought the finish looked lighter than FDE. There is a matching 23, then a gen. 2 20, gen. 2.5 26 and 27. He was offered $800.00 for the five. The clerk told him he could not give a .40 S&W away as it is no longer popular; and the 10mm would sit there until deer season.

I made him an offer, good to 4:00 p.m. today. My wife gets home shortly after that. I can’t have five new guns sitting out when she walks in the house.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For $800 it's a good package deal, regardless of the finish color. I'm not a fan of the tan, otherwise there'd be a new 19x in my safe, however for that money and a 19 in hand is a deal.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
His mistake was taking them guns to the LGS to be raped.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 5:30 p.m. three friends of mine came by and I took them to buy the pistols. The .40’s went for $500.00 for the pair, the 19 & 20 for $600.00, and the 26 for $350.00. Each gun had a Sport/Combat holster and a third mag. I would of liked to have seen $400.00 for the 19 & 20 but he got $650.00 more than the shop offered. These fellows are new to handguns so I was happy they got quality guns at decent prices. The seller was happy enough.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good deals there.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I have a sand coated G43, both the slide and frame are Cerakoted, it is durable and well done, the frame is standard black underneath.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's win-win, seller got a fast and easy sale and a lot more than the LGS would offer, friends got a great deal. Only other option is to sell them slowly at market price and that would be a PITA.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
...then a gen. 2 20...

This one would be more of what I'm looking for. Got a Gen4 20 and hate the finger grooves.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had offered him $800.00 too, but told him I would try to sell the two .40 S&W guns and send him any profit; which would be minimal. That caliber is no longer popular here. Then a former co-worker called me wanting gun advice, I told him to stop by the house. The seller had three men in postal uniforms looking at guns in the garage.

This is my second neighbor in two years to develop dementia. I am sorry to see him deteriorate. At least he wasn’t walking through the neighborhood stealing mail like the lady was when I first moved here.