SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .357 Revolver recommendation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Revolver recommendation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
... the GP beats the 586/686 hands down in almost every category.

Interesting. Might you elaborate?

I have an older, no-dash 4" 586, but have been contemplating a 4" GP100, so I'm curious.

The Ruger is stronger, beefier at not as much of a giveaway in weight as to be noticed.

It has an additional locking point on the cylinder to add strength as well as a way to preserve timing with long term usage (this was especially noticeable on the line- the 686’s of other officers spit lead and hit me).

I find the coiled mainspring lends itself to a more even, predictable DA trigger pull. Dry firing gave mine an unbelievably butter smooth pull. The top strap is thicker than the Smith; I doubt that it would ever stretch even with a lifetime of heavy loads.

It is easier to disassemble for cleaning.

These are the things that spring immediatly to mind.

Very nice. Thank you.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
If I were getting a new 357 mag, I'd get that SW 8 shot performance center one.

If you are talking about the Pro Comp V 8, i second that one. The weight, the balance and the compensator makes it my best shooting revolver. I also have a Colt Trooper, GP100 7 shot and a SP101 to compare it against.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an SP-101 that’s been given the treatment by Marc at Gemini Customs. Gets kinda spendy, but it sure is sweet.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
If price is not a factor, maybe he would like a Colt Python.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If price isn't a factor, there's always a Python...

Me? Im a huge fan of the older S&W's. Stainless? Mod-66, 586, 686. Not hard to find, easy to tune up and fix if needed.

Not that there's anything wrong with Rugers, they make a great revolvers, Ive shot a few, but never been a fan.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GP-100

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For carrying (especially backpacking-hiking)nod goes to a model 60 or SP101. For everything else the 686 or GP100 are hard to beat. Though I've owned a couple GP100s I'd go 686 4inch all day and twice on Sunday. BTW, owning a 4inch 357 magnum is a must for the man card.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
While I don't consider it a CCW option, my Ruger Redhawk 5059 is one helluva woods gun...

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sent him all this info, he should have enough to make an informed decision. The pistols he lost were high end revolvers, so I expect he will buy something excellent.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
4" and 6" S&W 66s are what I kept.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Can't see him going wrong with either the 686 or GP100. I really like my 4" 686, but I implicitly trust my two GP100s, a 3" and 5". The Ruger is a more robust design and build than the S&W IMHO; my 686 handles bear loads from HSM and Buffalo Bore, but it kinda feels like it wants to work with something lighter. OTOH the Rugers just brushes them off in comparison. Tough muthas, my two Rugers.

I also had a chance to shoot a new production Dan Wesson 715 owned by one of our customers. Nice shooter but he only let me put 38SPC through it. Perhaps down the road I'll get a chance to shoot something warmer through it. It's an intriguing alternative, I must say. I kind of feel like I want one.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.chiappafirearms.co...no-Revolver-30DS.php
Looks like they have new finish for the 30ds

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Ruger is stronger..........

Really?. Shall we talk about cast vs forged?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

The Ruger is stronger..........

Really?. Shall we talk about cast vs forged?

No need. The ruger is stronger in every respect. Heavier topstrap, more material in every place, and while there are plenty of handloads in the books for "ruger only," I've yet to see a single one labeled "s&w only." There's a reason for that.

Ruger is stronger.

I'm partial to the Security Six for a .357, but in today's market the GP-100 is an excellent choice, and I've long had a soft spot for the SP-101.

In the Smiths, the ubiquitous Model 19 is one of the better production .357's made, and the 66 as a step up, aside from the two piece barrel and associated features, is still a very good .357.

I'm also partial to single action revolvers; a Blackhawk of Vaquero in .357 is never a bad choice.

Better in .41, but still not a bad choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My favorite .357 revolver is a 1970's era Model 28 Highway Patrolman. The grips are gouged a bit and the bluing shows plenty of holster wear, but I'm pretty sure that N Frame will outlive me and at least one more generation shooting the hottest factory loads that will fit in the chambers. It's an absolute tank that feels as tight today as the day it rolled off the line.

I've also got one of the new production Model 66 Combat Magnums with a 2.75 inch barrel. I'll carry it occasionally, especially if I'm afraid I might end up getting soaked. It's heavy, but it makes shooting even 158gr full power loads tolerable. It's especially fun to shoot on an indoor range in dim light...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 4" , 7 shot , Smith 686. The only gun i would have if they said I could only have 1.
Can defend with it, target shoot with it, hunt with it, and it's built for a lifetime of magnum use.
An 8 shot 627 would be my second choice

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Have a GP100 in MC form (has some nice extras like a shimmed hammer, very comfortable Hogue wood grips, slab-sided half-lug barrel, and polished internals. Added a set of lighter springs (Ruger's are very easy to work on yourself) and it's a real sweet shooter with both .38spl and .357Magnum.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rhinos are nice, I have the 2 and 6 inch. The Kimber has a much better trigger, and more perceived recoil.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
If looking for a .357 Magnum revolver, don't overlook anything in .327 Federal. You'd miss out on a lot of options.

This needs to be repeated.
The 7-shot 4" GP100 in .327 Federal Magnum is ringing my bell, lately.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The ultimate .357 is a S&W Registered Magnum, but since the make Python prices look like chump change, I am a lifelong fan of the S&W model 27 in 3 1/2 or 5 in barrel lengths

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post