SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .357 Revolver recommendation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Revolver recommendation? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If I could find it and afford it, an older S&W model 19 or 28 would be my choice for a combat revolver. Unfortunately I can't. I do have a GP100, and am very happy with it. I like the mechanics of the design better than the Smiths (no side plate), and it is built like a tank. The triggers on the old S&Ws are better than the one on my GP100, but my Ruger's trigger is as good or better than those on the newer Smiths I've tried.

Posts: 8398 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A four inch Ruger Security Six is worth looking for, as well. Not as heavy as a GP-100, more durable than a K Frame Smith, which is close to the same size and weight.

Posts: 26848 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I'll throw another vote in for S&W's Model 19. Mine was brought in the '70's and gun-wise the best bucks I ever spent.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It kind of depends how much you plan to shoot it, and I don't mean from a revolver durability standpoint, more from a personal comfort standpoint.

I have both a 4" Model 19 and a 4" GP 100. I baby the 19, and full house loads hurt my hand. I shoot Saturn Vs out of my GP, and the gun and grips just suck up the recoil. The 19 is much lighter, and if I was carrying it all day, it would be more comfortable, but to sling lead at the range, or to carry in the swamps of Florida, where dirt and wet are everywhere, the stainless GP gets the nod.

Pictures of both for comparison purposes are half way down this page.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 are pretty hard to beat.

I agree. Buy a new example of whichever one catches your eye and shoot it the rest of your life. I've owned 686's and GP100's and both are good guns.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

No need. The ruger is stronger in every respect. Heavier topstrap, more material in every place, and while there are plenty of handloads in the books for "ruger only," I've yet to see a single one labeled "s&w only." There's a reason for that.

Does the "ruger only" apply to all Rugers, or only the Redhawks and Blackhawks, which I know are extra stout?

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
Got a special 5" GP100. Simply amazing!

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I could not be happier with my SW Performance Center 627.

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:

No need. The ruger is stronger in every respect. Heavier topstrap, more material in every place, and while there are plenty of handloads in the books for "ruger only," I've yet to see a single one labeled "s&w only." There's a reason for that.

Does the "ruger only" apply to all Rugers, or only the Redhawks and Blackhawks, which I know are extra stout?

Honestly, I would never buy / load such loads. It's just a matter of time until someone puts the "Ruger only" round in the wrong gun after a mix-up.

Stick to the published SAAMI Pressure recommendations.

That said, here is an example... https://www.buffalobore.com/in...=product_detail&p=54

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
You can still find some old classics at reasonable prices. They are out there if you look for them. You sure won't find a bargain SW K frame on GB auctions. Here is a S&W Model 19-4 nickel that I picked up for $440 at a small local gunshop. You can tell it was cared for and shot little.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As far as I know "Ruger only" loads refer to 45 Colt loads. These are warning labels to keep someone from shooting hot 45 Colt handloads in a gun built for the older 45 Colt loads. I don't think any 357 magnum load within acceptable pressure ranges would be an issue in a S&W 686.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously, it depends on what the indented use is, but I keyed in on "price is not a factor" so consider Dan Wesson 715. You buy it as a package with 4, 6, & 8 inch barrels. Or maybe a Korth, now imported by NighHawk. On the other hand, skip the Korth and buy a safe.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
quote:
quote:

As far as I know "Ruger only" loads refer to 45 Colt loads. These are warning labels to keep someone from shooting hot 45 Colt handloads in a gun built for the older 45 Colt loads. I don't think any 357 magnum load within acceptable pressure ranges would be an issue in a S&W 686.

I know Buffalo Bore makes .44mag loads that they don’t approve for S&W. Ruger revolvers are fine.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson 715, fantastic revolver.
If you can find one.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ruger GP 100, or GP 100 Match Champion.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
One of my personal favorites and also mentioned by LtJL, a five-inch barrelled 27-2.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another option also mentioned a couple of times, a minty 28 (in this case, “pre-28” Highway Patrolman).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The ultimate S&W Bank Note. He said price is not a factor and wants quality, right? Only $6k to get him in the door. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I would never buy / load such loads. It's just a matter of time until someone puts the "Ruger only" round in the wrong gun after a mix-up. Stick to the published SAAMI Pressure recommendations.
Very good advice. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a GP100 in 4 inch when we had to buy our own weapons. It is a 4 inch and later Ruger had to increase the barrel length to 4.2 inch so they could be imported into Canada. Recently added a 3 inch to the family but have not shot it yet.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post