SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Building your own 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building your own 1911 Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Changing the guts on the Dominator, and my general tendency towards the 1911, means building my own is on the list.

I need to do the DOE SBR first, but I'll definitely be building a 1911. Now that I have the wood furniture AR underway, as in the upper is paid and will arrive in the next 8 weeks.

These days, there is a healthy supply of high quality parts, the fitting necessary could be really accessible.

I imagine I'll start with a matched Caspian frame and slide, as such the real hard stuff is mostly done.

Like many of my projects, I'll stew on it for quite a while, and get to it eventually.

I'll probably be boring and go .45. Maybe. Not 10mm, someone who knows what they're doing is entrusted with that. .38 Super? Not really sure I want to add a caliber. 9mm? Hmmmmmm. Probably .45.

The Cylinder & Slide guts that I put in the Dominator produced a very nice trigger, would buy again.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a really cool project. Please show pictures of your progress. It'll be cool to follow. Some day I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not that well versed on the 1911. I heard Larry Vickers has a course on building 1911's. It's a multiple day course, and at the end you keep the gun you built. I think that's more my speed, than going at it on my own. Anyway good luck with your new project.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It'll be a bit, like I said I should really do the DOE SBR next.

The nice thing about such a project, is that you can buy the bits and bobs a little at a time.

I know a thing or two about metalworking, and I also know my limitations in such. When I do get to it, you'll surely see pics.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I have been down the same road. Be prepared to sacrifice some parts. TIP NUMBER ONE - Always file/grind on the cheaper part in case you go too far! It is fun as hell! The feeling you get when you put something together and it shoots really well (as most 1911s do) is fantastic. Hand fitting a barrel with just a file and getting it perfect is a great learning process. I agree on the C&S internals ... top notch! Have fun with it ... I have a 40 cal I need to finish when the weather turns ... maybe ...

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Harrison ignition set.
Absolutely superb machining and fit.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/ignition-sets-parts

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I too have toyed with the idea of doing this...but it has always seemed just a bit overwhelming. I'll be interested to follow your project once you get started on it.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Pick up the Kuenhausen? shop manual and read up on it first.

You may save yourself a bunch of headaches.

Good luck,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Sorry for getting slightly off topic.

Is it possible to post more on this project? I've always thought that the DOE 9mm SMG's were cool.
What did you use for parts and where did you get them?

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The nice thing about such a project, is that you can buy the bits and bobs a little at a time.

Got to be careful about that, especially in the lockwork. Everything interacts; hammer, sear, disconnector, thumb safety, trigger, grip safety. Even the mainspring housing has a fit effect.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Good luck,
Bob
I was going to post this last evening but Arc may have the book allready. One thing about the manual, his extreme surface polishing only applies to old school stock parts. Really not done on todays high quality internals. Jerry just shows how God would polish parts... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Sorry for getting slightly off topic.

Is it possible to post more on this project? I've always thought that the DOE 9mm SMG's were cool.
What did you use for parts and where did you get them?

Actually, I have a line on an original DOE upper. The lower is nothing special, as I won't be doing select fire. The lowers of the original guns were unremarkable, some Colt pinned, and some were Hahn conversions.

DOE clone uppers can be found, or you can get repros of the handguard and front sight, but I managed to find the real deal. I can't take possession until I have SBR'ed lower in hand.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:

Got to be careful about that, especially in the lockwork. Everything interacts; hammer, sear, disconnector, thumb safety, trigger, grip safety. Even the mainspring housing has a fit effect.

Yes, certain things will be bought en masse, like Cylinder & Slide guts, and I have some preview from my Dominator overhaul.

Hand fitting is part and parcel, but with the right parts, it can be minimized.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Good luck,
Bob
I was going to post this last evening but Arc may have the book allready. One thing about the manual, his extreme surface polishing only applies to old school stock parts. Really not done on todays high quality internals. Jerry just shows how God would polish parts... Big Grin

I have the shop manuals for a variety of things, but not the 1911, yet. Kuenhausens in particular on the M14 and Garand.

It's going to be a treat when I get to it.

I'm tempted to go Les Baer Monolith frame and slide.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
you might also consider the JEM frames and slides. They're terrific and very nice people to work with.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've read great things about the KC Crawford Roll triggers,

may or may not work in your application

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m.tenenhaus:
you might also consider the JEM frames and slides. They're terrific and very nice people to work with.

I'll check it out, so far with my limited internet skilles, Caspian and Les Baer were it for matched frame and slide. I'm ruling out doublestack guns, because MA, and I don't need that.

The more I think about the Monolith, I may have to go there. I love the look, and it's kinda P210ish in spirit.

Arc.

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have the ability to fit parts and make a gun work. What I lack are the skills to properly finish or polish the gun. That’s black magic to me. I don’t mean spray finishes.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really need to jump on the Caspian build I've been kicking around for years now. I built on a frame last year I think it was and heres what I came out with from that.

Kuhnhausens manual is a very good building aid and an interesting read if you like the technical stuff.

You might want to try building on a cheaper scale if you arent sure if your skills are up to building on your dream kit. I built on a ARMSCOR frame I traded an old sight for and got a Sarco kit for about $250 or so. I used a Remington R1 threaded barrel I picked up for about $49 on sale. Alot of the parts fit right away without any fitting. The grip safety and slide stop needed fitting which was easily accomplished with some files. The magazine catch needed some more aggressive fitting as either the catch was too big or the hole for it was too small. I didnt check the part in a different gun, just sanded until it fit. After about a day or two of off and on fiddling with it, it was built and it shot great when I took it to the range. I was very proud and it actually encouraged me to move on to a more expensive build when I get the cash and final push to do it.

Lastly finishing wise it all depends on what you want to do. I've done rust bluing with some Brownells bluing solution and had good results after some test runs. I've also done some duracoat and though its not the finish I'd want on something like a 1911, it went on relatively easy and is quite durable even in sliding areas. As above, I'd recommend doing a test piece for either and then seeing how you feel about it. The prep is the big deal for all finishing I've found.

I've been strongly considering a NP3 finish on my Caspian build when I eventually do it so I guess that would void all of the finishing advice from above.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
At one time or another I've swapped out everything save a gunsmith fit barrel. With the advent of You Tube it's easier than you think. It's just not that hard as long as you take it slow.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post