SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    School me on failure to extract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on failure to extract Login/Join 
posted
Sig 226 ST in 9 ., range day . Failure to extract with original slide and long extractor and loaner slide with short extractor. Factory new recoil spring. NO WWB used , just factory Federal and Winchester hollow points. No issue except...its my duty gun! Any thoughts are great

thanks

Officer Dave

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two P320s started having failure to extract. I replaced both extractors (MGW) and no problems since.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Does it extract properly when manually cycling it? Are the fired cases that didn't extract sticking in the chamber, or do they come out easily? Are they remaining all the way in the chamber, or are they partially extracting but not ejecting from the gun?

When you switched slides, did you swap complete uppers, or just the slide and use the same barrel/recoil spring with both?

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Failure to extract? So the case isn’t pulling out of the chamber? Odd to happen with two different slides, assuming that means two different barrels as well. So that eliminates being out of spec or dirty chamber. And nothing about the frame or mags should cause failure to extract. So it really just leaves ammo. Well, I guess it’s possible both chambers are dirty.

Now failure to eject may be something else. Something slowing the slide like a thumb against it, or limp wristing.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
As other indicated some additional info is needed.

226ST in 9 as a duty gun...interesting. How long have you had it as a duty gun and has this ever happened before? With this type of ammo before? Type of ammo (+P)?

FTE happening frequently (every round?) or every so often? Zero are acceptable on a duty gun.

If swapping the slide was the entire slide assembly (including barrel), that would mostly likely indicated the ammo to be the problem.

If you used the same barrel, and you've used the pistol without issues before, also likely either a fouling and/or ammo problem.

There is the odd chance that perhaps both the extractors are weak/worn and/or don't like this ammo.

More info would help.

$.02 worth.
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Swapping the slides eliminates the extractor & extractor spring. Are you using the same barrel? More details, please..

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You wrote "Factory New Recoil Spring" does than mean you've just put this in or that you tried a new spring and it did not solve the problem? If you used the new recoil spring on both slides then I would say that might be it....

Obviously the problem needs to be solved.... all I can say is I have never had this problem on any of my Sigs...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any pics of the gun in a "top" or side "view" showing the ejector? Is the ejector damaged? Does cycling allow the ammo to feed from the magazine into the barrel or is there a double feed?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Does it extract properly when manually cycling it? Are the fired cases that didn't extract sticking in the chamber, or do they come out easily? Are they remaining all the way in the chamber, or are they partially extracting but not ejecting from the gun?

When you switched slides, did you swap complete uppers, or just the slide and use the same barrel/recoil spring with both?

I was having issues with the original slide/barrel/spring combo . Sent slide in to get replacement sights. Took slide off my older 226 but realized I used the first guns barrel/spring combo. The spent round sits in the barrel, fresh round comes up and bumps against that one. Pull the mag, rack rack and spent case falls easily , reload same mag....bang bang ... I was shooting full power Federal, Winchester rounds plus Federal Syntech training. Couple of rounds failed to extract in each ammo type. Thinking extractor needs replacing on both slide? One long, one short.... frustating as I am nuts about cleaning my guns after every range session... thanks

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
If you're having 'double-feeds' (technically not correct, but generally accepted term) and the round in the chamber is is falling easily out of the chamber during clearance, that would seem to indicate its probably not a fouling problem (along with good maintenance cleaning/practices).

Still not clear if it's the same barrel with the slide swaps. If it is the same barrel, perhaps it's off spec and interfering with the extractor or not properly positioning the round where the extractor can seat in the case rim?

With the two different slides/extractors, it is a bit puzzling.

Do you have another 9mm 226 barrel you could compare to?

If you've been having problems, and you're the original owner, a trip back to SIG for warranty service would appear be in order.

Otherwise, perhaps the Sig Armorer or Grayguns.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, so it sounds like you’re using the same barrel. So we need to determine if it’s the barrel, or duplicate extractor issues. Do you have any pics of the cases that failed to extract? We’d need to see both the case walls and the rim.

What we’re looking for is whether there’s any case bulge, any signs of fouling, and on the rim whether or not there’s signs of deformation.

If the case is showing carbon fouling, it’s not making a good seal. Over time, that blowback will create deposits that can grab onto the case. If the rim is showing deformation, that means the extractor is working, but the case is seized in the chamber and the extractor is pulling material off or bending it over. If there’s no extractor marks, the extractor may be fouled, damaged, or the spring is bad.

If it is happening with multiple brands of ammo, we can rule that out. But be sure it’s happening on all brands. I had a some ammo that seized up my PPQ so tight I had to use a padded punch and mallet to free up. It ended up the ammo cases were hourglass shaped.

I will also say that regular cleaning does not necessarily make for a clean chamber. Pistols aren’t as susceptible as bottle-necked rifles, but depending on how you clean, you may not be scrubbing the chamber.

Forgive any typing errors...I’m a couple bourbons deep!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Revisiting this discussion, had low light training on this past Monday night. Brought my current duty 226 Stainless and my older German 226. Well, into the training the issue came up again. I have installed a brand new barrel from Sig that fits like a glove. Also a new solid guide rod and factory spring. When I got the slide back from with new sights, I really cleaned it including the extractor .

I did pickup the cases that would not eject and found no fouling, deformation etc. This only happens about every 3rd or 4th round. I switched to my older German 226 and had no issues the rest of the night( same ammo )
Thinking now to replace the extractor, spring etc and see where that lands me. I do not do work on my guns, so trying to get it to GGI or the Sig Armor.

This is a pain as this my primary duty weapon and needs to function 100%. Tired of the Glock fanboys ( we supply our own guns) giving me the business about Sigs....