SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Over glasses shooting eyewear - recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over glasses shooting eyewear - recommendations? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have been just shooting with glasses. That's been the case for years but I'm rethinking that and looking for options.

Peltor has some. Anyone use an over the glasses option?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Peltor has some. Anyone use an over the glasses option?

No, but Wiley-X has models of shooting glasses with prescription inserts. Talon is one of the models, and the one I use.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40 bucks Smith sells a goggle called the Boogie Regulator. Total eye protection, passes all the stringent military protocols, saw one shot with a 22 short, UV safe, blah blah blah.

I love them. I shoot steel and these allow me to not worry in the slightest where with glasses I always try to either face steel directly or face away.

Internet says fogging is an issue. I have only had any fogging under conditions where even glasses can fog.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with these. When I originally got mine, they also included a tinted lens.

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-St...=uvex+safety+glasses

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Outdoors I use Cocoons fitovers; indoors I wear clear generic ones I bought from NRA Store (unknown maker). Cocoons run around $50, the generic ones around $10-$15 IIRC.

I wear the Cocoons fitovers as my daily sunglasses anyway (I have several different pairs), and have been very pleased with their optical clarity. Just be careful when cleaning the silver mirror version -- too aggressive and you remove the mirror. (Cocoons replaced that pair.)

I like the Cocoons because they are also wraparound which is good for shooting as well as keeping out stray UV when outdoors. Also, you can get the Cocoons in different sizes to accommodate various prescription frames.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
why not get some prescription safety glasses? Fit overs are great for a one off thing but with a hobby it just make sense to get the right equipment, doesn't it?

Posts: 8143 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, look at the Pyramex Solo Jumbo Clear Safety Glasses (top line, second item from the left) -

http://www.safetyglassesusa.co...?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=84

I just went looking for the biggest size I could find. I don't know about shatter resistance (if they're resistant at all); I was just trying to keep hot brass and shreds of cases or bullet jackets out of my eyes at an indoor range.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I ordered something like these in clear Trivex lenses with my prescription.

https://www.adseyewear.com/pro...cal-Sunglasses-/1893

Love them. They work very well for shooting.

Posts: 1693 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Rudy Project wrap around glasses with a prescription insert. www.e-rudy.com. I have Agon frame.

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I've been very happy with these. When I originally got mine, they also included a tinted lens.

I have a pair of those Uvex goggles. I prefer, and ordered, the yellow tint lens. They seal around the face very well, which makes them great for yard work where I will be stirring up dust.

However, for shooting in AZ, they would be simply too hot due to the good seal. I'm sure they would work well in more northern climates.

Wiley-X also sells a pair of goggles similar to those Uvex ones, and which takes a prescription insert. In fact, the same insert that goes into my Talon glasses. Not sure if they are still in their line-up. And a good seal and heat here in AZ presents the same issue.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post