SIGforum
Need some High Standard pistol help

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1320094044

April 14, 2018, 04:27 PM
c_zielsdorf
Need some High Standard pistol help
I've got a great Buckmark Camper that I love, but I've been overcome with this desire to have an all steel 22 pistol.
From what I've been reading, the High Standard seems great.
Now this will be threaded to be a suppressor host, so I need it to have a removable barrel.
I am a bit overwhelmed with the information available.
Is there someone that could help me pin down "the one" to get?
Considerations are: parts availability, magazine availability, ease of takedown for cleaning (cans are messy), and price. I'm not looking to pay a pile of cash for a collectible or rare piece, just to give the collectors a stroke when I have the barrel threaded.
Thanks!

Disabled combat vet
April 14, 2018, 07:38 PM
David Lee
They aren't all collectables. I dont recall all the models as I've only had 2 and one was a Model A fixed barrel. A 103, 106 in long rifle are what you need. Victor wont work. I would suggest a military grip, not a slant grip for this. The mil grip mimmics a 1911. The Texas built guns are good but the real McCoy is what you should stick with. Original parts ? You may never need them and I cant say the Texas parts will interchange. Mitchell Arms made pretty good copies of at least 1 model. I nearly bought one. Barrels on the 103 and 106 remove via a button. They lock on solid. You wont want to become a pistol smith and go farther than a field strip to clean on a High Standard. They have some intricate parts involved. Great old pistols, all around. And magazines used to be available through Brownells in a new production run which functioned perfect.
April 14, 2018, 08:19 PM
GaryBF
You may want a High Standard military Citation if you can find one. High Standards were the standard target pistol in my days of indoor league shooting, although I don't know that I would want one today because of the parts issue. You might consider a Ruger Mark I with 5½ inch heavy barrel. It is all steel. The barrel itself is not readily removeable but the whole top end can be separated from the frame and chucked-up in a lathe.
April 14, 2018, 08:27 PM
cas
Prices have stabilized, possibly come down. But they're still not cheap.

I was in a store some time ago talking to the "old timer" who worked there, knew the guns (they had several for sale), knew the company, knew people who worked on them in years gone by, he said to me "no one shoots them anymore, you can't get parts." If this is true, I couldn't say. I haven't tried to get any parts in 20+ years so I don't know.

I've always been told magazines can be an issues, lots of variables and getting what you need to it will work can be an issue. This from friends who own them, not just something I read. I never tried to buy more, but it always worried me.

You might be able to buy a threaded barrel, time was you could anyway.

April 14, 2018, 08:38 PM
soggy_spinout
Or you can buy a new S&W Victory with a threaded barrel with its full stainless steel goodness and be done with it. Ruger now has the 40126 Mark IV Target with a TB and in full stainless. Give them another couple of months and there will probably be a blued version as well.
April 14, 2018, 10:34 PM
c_zielsdorf
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
You may want a High Standard military Citation if you can find one. High Standards were the standard target pistol in my days of indoor league shooting, although I don't know that I would want one today because of the parts issue. You might consider a Ruger Mark I with 5½ inch heavy barrel. It is all steel. The barrel itself is not readily removeable but the whole top end can be separated from the frame and chucked-up in a lathe.

Thanks for the info!
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Or you can buy a new S&W Victory with a threaded barrel with its full stainless steel goodness and be done with it. Ruger now has the 40126 Mark IV Target with a TB and in full stainless. Give them another couple of months and there will probably be a blued version as well.

Interesting suggestion. The Victory just doesn't do it for me. Also, it appears that the grip frame is all polymer, though I haven't seen one pulled apart.
Also, I have a Buckmark which I prefer far more than the Ruger.

Disabled combat vet
April 15, 2018, 05:26 AM
sunburn
Look for a Buckmark Camper Whisper, factory threaded barrel. IIRC, they were a Lipseys limited production of 1500-2000 guns, retail at 400 new, about 8-10 years ago.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
April 15, 2018, 06:10 AM
David Lee
Member R2Mach1 has a Supermatic Trophy for sale in Classifieds here. I couldnt view the pictures there this morning but it is a nice gun for the money. Fair price too. With normal use, you wont hurt a High Standard but, the Ruger pistol as posted here is a strong 22.
April 15, 2018, 07:34 AM
captain127
The vast majority of my range use 22’s ( I will shoot one every week sometimes
twice a week) are all old long discontinued classics Colt challenger beretta jaguar smith 422.
It is pretty hard to break or wear out a 22 who cares if parts are scarce?
April 15, 2018, 07:40 AM
clayflingythingy
Surely someone offers a threaded Buckmark barrel?
April 15, 2018, 07:43 AM
clayflingythingy
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
Surely someone offers a threaded Buckmark barrel?

If it must be all steel I'd choose the Ruger MK IV.

I find it surprising how loud the action can be on a suppressed 22.
April 15, 2018, 12:55 PM
c_zielsdorf
To clarify, I have a Buckmark with a threaded mini bull barrel.

Disabled combat vet
April 15, 2018, 02:55 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Prices have stabilized, possibly come down. But they're still not cheap.

I was in a store some time ago talking to the "old timer" who worked there, knew the guns (they had several for sale), knew the company, knew people who worked on them in years gone by, he said to me "no one shoots them anymore, you can't get parts." If this is true, I couldn't say. I haven't tried to get any parts in 20+ years so I don't know.

I've always been told magazines can be an issues, lots of variables and getting what you need to it will work can be an issue. This from friends who own them, not just something I read. I never tried to buy more, but it always worried me.

You might be able to buy a threaded barrel, time was you could anyway.

High Standards fall into several categories, like all collectables

mint in the box is $$$$$$

mint, or gently used, $$$$

tuned for Bullseye, gently used, known performer etc etc $$$$

beater, $$

then you have the fixed barrel older models,
duramatics and sharpshooter types,

and Victor/10X/Trophy/Olympics ,

would be a crime to suppress a Victor or 10x, or should be,

but a Citation or lower grade, have at it ( well, maybe not a citation,,,I'm a High Standard snob Wink)

either way, a decent later model, slant or military grip, push button take down will accept a plethora of aftermarket barrels that could be threaded and keep the original,

as far as mags, some will need to be tweaked to work well, and there are many tutorials out there on how to do that, if they are needed
beware tho, some aftermarket work well, some do not

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

April 15, 2018, 03:18 PM
David Lee
I think a 101 has a removable barrel. You didnt mention a HD lyman. Fixed barrel but not tapered. It could be turned and threaded. Kinda stuck with the slant grip however. HDs are pleantiful.
April 15, 2018, 05:04 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I think a 101 has a removable barrel. You didnt mention a HD lyman. Fixed barrel but not tapered. It could be turned and threaded. Kinda stuck with the slant grip however. HDs are pleantiful.

wasn't gonna get into all the varieties (fixed, lever, etc)

HD's have a pin ,
they are easily suppressed or threaded if needed but changing barrels is not an quick and easy thing,

friend just had a HD, US marked, that was originally suppressed restored ,

guy in Indianapolis did the work, and a great job as well,

very quiet

April 15, 2018, 09:19 PM
El Juero
I have a High Standard Supermatic Citation that has a bull barrel that I had threaded for a suppressor and then had the front sight moved back. There is ring shaped to the contour of the barrel for a thread protector to make it look like part of the barrel. Shoots and performs excellent. I am not sure of how to send an email or message here.
April 16, 2018, 11:19 AM
FN in MT
I've got three older HS target guns, all three have been pretty much flawless.

I bought half a dozen new mags from Brownels a few years back, they were readily available.

There are a ton of variations in their line. A local guy who displays at a few MT gun shows has an amazing collection that is COMPLETE. Well over 100 different variations. He did at one point have a financial interest in the Company though. Probably HOW he completed the collection.

Good book available too oon the entire line; "High Standard, A Collectors Guide to the Hamden & Hartford Target Pistols" By Tom Dance.

I truly enjoy shooting my old Victors and Supermatics.
April 16, 2018, 03:16 PM
lyman
one of the best places for high standard info

http://www.histandard.info/

April 16, 2018, 07:33 PM
c_zielsdorf
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Member R2Mach1 has a Supermatic Trophy for sale in Classifieds here. I couldnt view the pictures there this morning but it is a nice gun for the money. Fair price too. With normal use, you wont hurt a High Standard but, the Ruger pistol as posted here is a strong 22.

Thanks for the heads up.
I’m buying his.
Now, how about mags? What’s a good source?

Disabled combat vet
April 16, 2018, 07:56 PM
David Lee
I would search Gunbroker for starters. Check Brownells or maybe you can find a High Standard Forum with Classifieds. Check magazine dealers on line. Maybe Gun Parts Inc. Larrys Guns up in Maine. I havn't looked for High Standard mags in decades.