SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    FnH FNS Pistol experiences...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FnH FNS Pistol experiences... Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
I'm curious as to our collective experiences with FnH' FNS pistols. I myself owned an FNX 45 and aside from its size, thought it to be a quality pistol san price of its mags. Looking for feedback specifically on the FNS series. Thanks in advance..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Have a FNS9C no safety with night sights. Shoots great, nice trigger reset and conceals well.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
I've owned an FNS 9 and an FNS 40. Both pistols were two tone with night sights, and both shot very well. Both were reliable. I traded them both away because both would drop the magazine inadvertently while being carried in a holster. I also found the grip texture to be on the verge of being too aggressive for my liking.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I had an FNS9 and an FNS9c for a while, before I decided to switch to Glocks exclusively.

The FNS9c was a no safety standard sight model. I had planned to change the sights but never did. It falls size-wise between the G26 and the M&P9c. I am a huge fan of the grip texture. If you like the FNX, you'll like the FNS pistols. IMO the best striker trigger out there out of the box. I only got about 500 rounds through it but never had a single failure and it was quite comfortable to shoot. My larger hands required the pinky rest on the 12rd mag to really be comfortable, but I was capable with the flat baseplate.

The Full size was a manual safety, night sight model. That pistol I shot quite a bit more, a little under 5k through it if memory serves. No failures that weren't ammo related. Felt great in the hand and I was pretty accurate with it, but I shoot the glocks better.

The mags are a bit pricey but the nice thing is every FNS comes with 3 to begin with. Also, the 9c can use the 17rd mags from the full size, and most of the hoslters etc work between the two.

If you end up getting one, and need a holster I have a few left over that I'm looking to get rid of. Open to other members with the FNS pistols also.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^I completely lost it when I saw the gummy bears, well played.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I bought a FNS9 4" a short while ago, primarily to see how well it works over time but also because I'm a striker guy and it was one gun of the genome that I had limited experience with, previously only shot on one occasion with a customer gun. I did enjoy my live fire time with that gun, which also played a key role in me finally buying one.

As for the Gumby aspect: there hasn't been enough sun around here to melt an ice cube let alone wreak havoc on any pistol polymer, but I will say that the FNS9 I have uses a different type of mix for its frame that is significantly stiffer and, for lack of a better phrase, more brittle than the malleable frames on FNX pistols, like the FNX45. That latter gun I found that I can easily deform the grip on an empty magwell just by squeezing it, no extra sun rays required. With the FNS I could not do that with the same amount of force as I used on the FNX45. Is it now stout enough to withstand prolonged exposure to the sun? For now I don't know, but I will say that its polymer frame feels as stiff and stout as any Glock or M&P frame.

As for how it shoots: very well, I must say. My example shoots just like I recalled the customer gun did. Relatively clean trigger action, crisp break, average striker-like overtravel. Well defined reset. Overall not as sweet as my PPQ, VP9 or 320C (when it's not double-clicking), but superior to factory Glock, M&P or XDm. Similar in character to the original XD or the XD Mod2, so I'd describe the trigger as mid-pack in terms of quality.

Points a bit low for my Glock-induced sensibilities and years of use, but not as pronounced as I am with my 320C or Springfield. Groups with the gun are decent at speed, similar to what I can do with a bone stock G19. Not to the level where I can be with a VP9, sometimes with my PPQ M1 and 320C, or my minus connector G19. (EDIT: I feel that I can likely can get much better with it with a lot more range time, but to be frank that will only take away from other guns I'd prefer shooting and/or train with. Moving away from Glock will never be an option for me, not for as long as I've shot and carried one.)

Personally I like the FNS in 9mm. After 450 rounds I find it a nice shooter, and I can see how some folks would prefer it to a Glock. However I'm still wary of FNH's customer support skills, more than I'm worried about the quality of its polymer formula. At least Midwest Gun Works sells FNH parts so down the road--if I decide to keep the gun--I've got at least one supply source outside of FNH.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3, to FNS 9c's (both with safeties) and a full size FNS 9mm. Many many rounds thru them with zero issues and they are inexplicably accurate. I mean scary accurate. I have heard all the horror stories like no parts (bought 2 compacts-problem solved), frames melt, (i just don't leave them or any other guns lying in the sun) etc.. The triggers are better than Glocks in my opinion, the have metal BIG three dot factory sights, extraction is positive and never in my face and they are light and concealable. They fit my hand great. I like my Glocks, but these things are keepers.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
I have heard all the horror stories like no parts (bought 2 compacts-problem solved), frames melt, (i just don't leave them or any other guns lying in the sun) etc..
What's wrong with this picture?

I can take a Glock to, say, Death Valley and leave it in the blazing sun until the pistol is literally too hot to pick up bare-handed, and do you know what? The frame won't bend like Gummi Bears, and the pistol will function normally.

If you feel that your pistol will be OK so long as you keep it out of direct sunlight, you really should consider that to be a problem.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I guess i would rather have direct sunlight not be a problem ( I personally am not convinced that issue is fact). However, when i am at the range shooting its never an issue, and when i am carrying it concealed its not an issue, so why would i care about this alleged problem ??
I am not saying its not an interesting topic of discussion on a firearms forum, but really, when is the next time i will have to leave the pistol in the blazing death valley sun and pick it up and shoot it in a life or death situation ??
Its a rhetorical question but the answer is never.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
I guess i would rather have direct sunlight not be a problem ( I personally am not convinced that issue is fact). However, when i am at the range shooting its never an issue, and when i am carrying it concealed its not an issue, so why would i care about this alleged problem ??
You're the one who said you don't leave your pistol in direct sunlight. No one put those words into your mouth.

posted Hide Post
My FiveSeven is superb!

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
My FiveSeven is superb!
...and tasty, in a rainbow of delicious fruit flavors.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback & the gummy bears Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
My brother bought an FNP-45 about ten years ago or so. He was super excited about it until we took it to the range and gave it a good workout. In short, it wouldn't feed worth a damn, the ambi controls weren't so ambi, the trigger sucked, and it was just wholly unimpressive to either of us. He contacted FN about the feeding issues, and they basically told him "oh yeah, we know it sucks, so we came up with the FNX-45, which you should buy, because it was designed to feed from the magazines we designed for it." He sold that chunk of shit post-haste and bought a Glock 19, which has turned into three different generations of Glock 19, no complaints, just praise.

That little adventure helped push both of us solidly into the Glock camp. For what I could pay for an FN pistol at the cheapest, I can find a used Glock in any caliber, send it back and have it updated for free and never have to wonder if it will work. FN isn't bringing enough lunch to the pistol table.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTW, that's FN USA, not Fabrique Nationale in Belgium.

Latter group- superb firearms

Former group- attitude

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Since I live so close to the FN pro shop I've picked up a few of the FNS 9's. they shoot just fine and are accurate.
I still grab a Glock first but if you come this way your welcome to shoot mine.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para, I should have specified that. I have an FN rifle I feel completely different about than I did that pistol, it's not going anywhere.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir. I will be down your way in early May. I'll ping you when close and we can get to the Pro shop!
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:

Since I live so close to the FN pro shop I've picked up a few of the FNS 9's. they shoot just fine and are accurate.
I still grab a Glock first but if you come this way your welcome to shoot mine.

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Excellent!! We can hit psa also possibly.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post